Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Was told only the dealer can install XM

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Was told only the dealer can install XM

I took my 2007 4Runner to Circuit City just now. I have the factory 6 CD stereo, and it has a button on it that says "AM-SAT." The kid in the car audio installation section told me that satellite radio can only be installed on this stereo by the dealer. Is this true? The XM option for my truck is $380!

Should I go to a reputable car audio place and ask them? I have an XM Tao, and it sounds like crap when playing through the FM, and even worse when hooked up to the iPod connector due to engine whine. I really would like seamless XM in my car without having receiver, antenna, and wires all over my console.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:51 PM

You don't have to have any authorized dealer or anything install XM.. You can buy an XM unit and then get service.. It's pretty much that simple, aside from wiring it and such.

I'd go to a car audio place and get them to install it if you're not confident in your own ability.. and it shouldn't cost you $380.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:04 AM

I just came from a car audio place, and they want $300 installed for the unit that would be controlled through the factory stereo. I'm actually not confident in my abilities, especially with a brand new vehicle, and electricity and I don't exactly see eye to eye.

What should I do? Let the dealer do it, or the audio place? The audio place has a good reputation, but the last time a car audio place installed something for me they broke my door and it was a huge headache getting them to replace it. Once bitten twice shy!

I also read somewhere that the antenna built into the windows is sat compatible as well. Is this true?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=646&bc=no

you can buy it from here. http://www.logjamelectronics.com/toy03auxs.html

This is input converter that you need to hook from the XM to the back of the factory head unit. Great products from them.

Last edited by PirateFins; 07-16-2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 PM

never be afraid to try. lol. if your afraid of electricity, unhook the negative cable from your battery. not much to worry about then. its never too hard to mess with audio and such. however, pros are faster and make it look better. lol.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 AM

Piratefins nailed it. Just install an adapter so you can use the headphone jack to run it from the unit you already have. Its $70 and you can install it yourself with these instructions.

http://www.castulucci.com/projects/carpc/oemnaviaccess/
Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 PM

I already have an aux jack, what I want to do is have XM integrated into my factory stereo. I'm sick of wires and crap, and modifying the interiors of my vehicles.

The guy at Circuit City was full of it. The kit they sell online that a lot of you have is what I need. They also make a slightly different one which dealerships and car audio places use. It is specific for the model vehicle. I think I may go that route. Its gonna cost me a little, but it will be done seamlessly and professionally.