Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Stereo Wiring 92 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:50 PM
JML

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Wiring 92 pickup

I just bought a 92 pickup and it didn't have a stereo in it, no harness either just wires sticking out. I picked up a cheap one and installed it myself. I connected the loose wires into the harness for the stereo. However I went to installdr to get the wiring codes and they don't exactly match.

I don't have a black wire (ground). I have 2 wires that are certainly gray. I used the light gray one as gray and the dark gray as black.
There is also a red with black stripe that has some sort of connector on the end and a green wire that looks like it was fried once(most of the insulation is black and melted).

Anyone know what the dark gray is? or the red with black stripe? Should I just ground it to the nearby chasis mount instead of that mysterious dark gray wire?

What about the power ant wires coming from the stereo? connect them together and to the 12V or just leave them unconnected?

The stereo does work with the way I have it. I felt a small shock twice after putting it in while touching things like the hood popping latch under the dash.

I also don't exacly have a chasis to put the stereo in, so it just rests in the 4 inch stereo spot for now. It's stable sort of.

Look forward to getting some good help from this board. My first toyota, first 4wd etc. (200K miles 22re)
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
look in the tech section for stereo writeups

use a wiring harness. dont even try to do what you are doing. stop right there. buy a metra harness. metra sells a bracket too, i think. or look on ebay for a stereo bracket

look at 12volt.com for their wiring database AFTER youve purchaed your wiring harness.

look at my soldering 101 writeup in the tech section. learn how to properly solder

that is all i can think of for now.

oh yeah, SEARCH. try terms '2nd gen stereo installation' and '2nd gen stereo' for a broader search

bob
Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 AM
JML

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bob,
I think you are assuming that there's a stock harness of which to plug in the metra harness. That must have been removed by previous owner.

I have no problems connecting wires.
The only problem is the discrepancy between installdr color codes and what actually comes out of my truck.
There are no rear speakers. Just 2 front speakers. Those wires are accounted for. +12 memory and ignition are accounted for.
what is the red with black stripe wire with plug connector on it?
What is the difference between the light and dark gray wire?
why is there no black (gnd) wire?
what is the thicker green wire (that happens to have been fried in the past)? could this be the gnd wire?

Any help on these wires would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks