Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you guys have any tips or advice for installing 6x9's in the back and POSSIBLY 6.5"s in the front doors?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 PM

my speakers in the front are in the dash, i thought they were in the doors so i was really confused trying to find them lol, i was looking all over the door for them then i looked up and saw them.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
speakers for sale.

I love boston acoustics personally, followed by Infinity Kappas. I have a set of boston acoustics 4 inch component speakers (rc420 if you want to look em up) that sound great. only problem is the recommend 20-180 watts rms, and most head units are in the 14-15 range. I have a Pioneer premier, so it puts out 22, so I just sneak in. If you are in Washington, I can meet up with you and let you hear how they sound. I bought 2 sets, and only ended up using one. So they are brand new in the box. They retailed 279, I got em 50% off, would let em go for 100. Let me know if you are interested.

BTW, if you check my album you will see where I mounted my tweeters in the A post, they sound awesome!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM

thats a cool place for the speakers. how hard was that to do
Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Texas91Runner
do you guys have any tips or advice for installing 6x9's in the back and POSSIBLY 6.5"s in the front doors?
if you put Speakers in the doors, put as forward on the doors as you can. If you put them towards the back they tend to start falling out of the doors eventually from the force of opening and closing, and the sound gets blocked by your body and the seats. Other than that just measure, a bunch of times before you cut anything like any other project, and like I said before check when the door is opened and closed, and check the full range of the window, because there is a lot of stuff moving around in the doors.

As for the 6x9's there is a tone of room in the back so have fun with it, and if you want to keep it looking stock you can get them to fit in the stock location pretty easily if you cut out or mode the speaker grate, and slightly trim the metal behind it. A little and you will be
Old 03-10-2009, 05:37 PM

its not hard, there are 2 clips you have to pry up, then it slides up towards the roof and the plastic piece comes out. drill a couple holes and your set. I have a 1st gen, so the tweeters up high help a lot while the top is off in the summer.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

It is recommended, if you are using components, that the tweeter be mounted as close to the woofer as possible for imaging. It will sound really unbalanced if they are too far apart. It has to do with the timing of the two signals reaching your ears and possibly the volume differences if one is significantly closer to you.

However if they are equal distances from your ears, just at different poles (so to speak) it may work out the same.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 03-10-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

^^What I was going to say... with components you want to keep the tweets as close to the woofers as you can... if you are going with an a pillar mount towards the bottom would be best or on top of the dash at the base of the pillar aimed slightly towards you.
Remember highs are highly directional in character while mids and basses tend to "fill" a space. With the top of the pillar mount you will generally end up with way to much treble. It is possible to make it work but you have to get some very funky high end gear to delay the treble signal and that is way outside the scope of all but the most serious audiophile auto installs, we're talking trailer queen show/competition cars here... not that it does'nt sound "right" to you kiyo, again we;re talking personal taste here...

Kiyo if green does'nt want them I'll take those BAs off your paws... pm me and let me know...

Last edited by aviator; 03-10-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

In a first gen its tough to keep the 2 close. I set em up near the bottom of the post, but the steering wheel got in the way of the passenger side. (not sure why I was worried about them, but whatever) But in the crossovers you can set them for 0, -2, or -4 db as to not overpower the mids down in the dash. I am sure they would sound better closer together, but I thought about it all the way to work as I had the stereo turned up and it sounded great. It pulls the sound stage up higher, and the magnets on the BA's are beefy, the tweeters don't sound tinny, maybe if you bought crap components it would be terrible, but these are awesome and they forgive alot. And I still have the set, I will PM you later today if I get a shot. Thanks!

Almost forgot, you will have to trim off 2 of the 4 tabs to get them to fit a 1st gen, not sure of how the speaker fits in a 2nd gen.

Last edited by kiyobrown; 03-11-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
In a first gen its tough to keep the 2 close. I set em up near the bottom of the post, but the steering wheel got in the way of the passenger side. (not sure why I was worried about them, but whatever) But in the crossovers you can set them for 0, -2, or -4 db as to not overpower the mids down in the dash. I am sure they would sound better closer together, but I thought about it all the way to work as I had the stereo turned up and it sounded great. It pulls the sound stage up higher, and the magnets on the BA's are beefy, the tweeters don't sound tinny, maybe if you bought crap components it would be terrible, but these are awesome and they forgive alot. And I still have the set, I will PM you later today if I get a shot. Thanks!

Almost forgot, you will have to trim off 2 of the 4 tabs to get them to fit a 1st gen, not sure of how the speaker fits in a 2nd gen.
On a 2 gen no real need to trim a tab off but you will have to "open" the end of one of the tabs because the screws are just a bit further apart on the pax side one, if I remember right the driver's side one can be made to work as is.
If you buy a set of "4T" speakers [a few mfgs. make them] the tabs are larger and there is no need to trim.

On my 1 gen I ended up mounting the tweets on top of the dash, in the standard cab the sound was very good.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 PM

these have an extra piece so you can angle mount them giving them a real nice angle, but my neighbor is like a bull in a china shop, and I have already seem him hit his nugget in the spot I wanted to put them on, I just stayed with the flush mount. I won't ever enter a competition, I just wanted it loud enough to hear on the freeway with the top off. But I know where to go if I change my mind.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM

domo ari got oh mister roboto
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 94runnerfan
if you put Speakers in the doors, put as forward on the doors as you can. If you put them towards the back they tend to start falling out of the doors eventually from the force of opening and closing, and the sound gets blocked by your body and the seats. Other than that just measure, a bunch of times before you cut anything like any other project, and like I said before check when the door is opened and closed, and check the full range of the window, because there is a lot of stuff moving around in the doors.

As for the 6x9's there is a tone of room in the back so have fun with it, and if you want to keep it looking stock you can get them to fit in the stock location pretty easily if you cut out or mode the speaker grate, and slightly trim the metal behind it. A little and you will be
Oh, I understand. I will do that.
For the 6x9's, one of my rear grills has partially broken off so I plan on just going whichever way is the easiest. I think I'm gonna dremel the grill out and see where I go from there. What do you think of that plan?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

For the 6x9's, one of my rear grills has partially broken off so I plan on just going whichever way is the easiest. I think I'm gonna dremel the grill out and see where I go from there. What do you think of that plan?
If you can't remove the panel I'd cut out a small hole first and check clearances before you cut out for the 6x9 last thing you want is to end up with a huge hole with a brace in the way or insufficient mounting depth.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
If you can't remove the panel I'd cut out a small hole first and check clearances before you cut out for the 6x9 last thing you want is to end up with a huge hole with a brace in the way or insufficient mounting depth.
very true. i'll see if i can remove the panels this weekend. do you think i could mod the factory speaker boxes to fit the 6x9s?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM

That is actually kind of what ent up doing. The plane was to clean up the grate so that it was actually the full size of the square but I was using a utility knife and I slipped and cut it mostly in half.

To solve the problem I just cut out the whole rectangle, which I believe is about 5X8 or so. I then cleaned up the back side as much as possible and installed what used to be a metal speaker cover which I flattened out repainted and lued to the back of the plastic. I would be careful with a dremel though if you plan on keeping the edge of he plastic like I did, to cut out the whole rectangle the edge is really thin so a utility knife was golden and with some patience it looks good.

The main problem with this approach is that a 6x9 can't be centered in the stock rectagle without completely hacking out the seatbelts, but if you trim the metal a bit, about 90% of the speaker is in the grate perfectly, just make sure to dynomat or do something with the plastic to keep it from ratling. I wil try to get some pictures up tomorow if you are interested, it will probably be a little more clear.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM

very true. i'll see if i can remove the panels this weekend. do you think i could mod the factory speaker boxes to fit the 6x9s?
Not really there is a lot of stuff in side the box including an amp and venting and things. It would probably be easier to start from scratch.

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 03-13-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM

if the money is there i would go with a JL audio system!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM

i'm sort of following you, but i think the pictures would really help out. being sort of a noob to this, where exactly would be wisest to dynamat?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM

the pig filled with money isn't really full, so i don't think JL would be an intelligent way to go..

Quick Reply: speakers