Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calrockx
what's the difference between the camry and solar systems?
I was wondering that too.
I did read one a Toyota forum (for one of the minivans they make ) that there is a HU made by Eclipse and one by Denso.
I'm thinking maybe that could be it.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

"The model number on the front of the Camry navigation - E7003, it is a Denso product (not by Fujitsu Ten, manufacturer of sienna head unit). In the user guide, it does not explain what SAT is, it just treated the "AM / SAT" button as the AM band."

I guess there is a third one for the Sienna.

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/inde...showtopic=3034
Old 03-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you still have your speed wire disconnected? I'm curious to know if you drive around with it disconnected if you can input destinations whilst on the move at highway speeds. If so, I might put a switch on that wire so i can cut it off really quick, input a new destination then cut it back on. I never really tested it because it hasn't been a big issue but sometimes, in traffic or slow going i'd like to be able to change destinations. Big props to the NAVs in the new Acura's, you can be flying 100 down the interstate and full control of the NAV unit. Why 'o why did Toyota have to dumb it down so much?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Nice Freak looking good so far.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Do you still have your speed wire disconnected? I'm curious to know if you drive around with it disconnected if you can input destinations whilst on the move at highway speeds. If so, I might put a switch on that wire so i can cut it off really quick, input a new destination then cut it back on. I never really tested it because it hasn't been a big issue but sometimes, in traffic or slow going i'd like to be able to change destinations. Big props to the NAVs in the new Acura's, you can be flying 100 down the interstate and full control of the NAV unit. Why 'o why did Toyota have to dumb it down so much?

No, have not tried playing with destinations.

One thing I did notice is that this radio acts just like satellite radio in the sense that you can get the song titles and artists displayed. They scroll across the station button on the touch screen, and you can touch the info button and it gives you the info on the song too.
Pretty cool.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Do you still have your speed wire disconnected? I'm curious to know if you drive around with it disconnected if you can input destinations whilst on the move at highway speeds.
I have the same question. On the other hand, the unit may have a number of redundancies built in that will always prevent it from accepting a new destination while on the move. For example, even if the speed sensor wire is disconnected, the unit will still know that it is in motion (by it's very nature as a GPS device).

Andreas
Old 03-22-2005, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

That makes sense for safety. I wouldn't want some idiot that is driving trying to type in a new address on a NAV unit next to me on a highway or anywhere.
Bad enough with cells and all, soon the time will come to ban these I bet. A few morons to ruin it for the rest.

Speaking of morons, I was coming home today and on a 4 lane road, 2 each way, I see headlights in my lane for about ¾ of a mile in front of me. She was in my lane all the way till she almost hit me.
I thought she'd get the hint that she was in the wrong lane, so I stayed where I was until I moved over just in case. '
What's with these women than need to do makeup in the mirror?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

4RF,
Just to add to the questions - when the screen is tilted, does it still feel solid to the touch, or does it flex about? Just curious if there is any flimsy feel to it. I really like the thought of the tilt feature, as the mounting location for us is borderline.

Andreas
Old 03-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aowRS
4RF,
Just to add to the questions - when the screen is tilted, does it still feel solid to the touch, or does it flex about? Just curious if there is any flimsy feel to it. I really like the thought of the tilt feature, as the mounting location for us is borderline.

Andreas
It's solid.
Most times you will be using the touch screen anyway, and you don't have to "press" hard at all.
I doubt you will notice it move unless you have like a bear paw for a hand and you beat on the face.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
No, have not tried playing with destinations.

One thing I did notice is that this radio acts just like satellite radio in the sense that you can get the song titles and artists displayed. They scroll across the station button on the touch screen, and you can touch the info button and it gives you the info on the song too.
Pretty cool.
It's an RDS radio, so it's getting data (song names/station names) over the air waves. In Europe they scroll traffic information and contests and what not over the RDS system. It would also show traffic data. The US has been slow to adopt RDS technology, but I think with more and more NAV/OnStar systems coming about RDS will see more use.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:58 AM

I have the same question. On the other hand, the unit may have a number of redundancies built in that will always prevent it from accepting a new destination while on the move. For example, even if the speed sensor wire is disconnected, the unit will still know that it is in motion (by it's very nature as a GPS device).

Andreas
I know it can track the vehicle 100% w/o the speed sensor attached, the speed sensor is for situations when you going though a mountain tunnel or in the city and buildings block the GPS signal, the speed sensor will give a psuedo way to track position on the map until the signal recovers. What I am trying to figure out is if I break that signal will the system assume I am stopped and let me input data, then just reconnect... I would also assume that the GPS signal when there overrides what is being learned via the speed sensor. The install document I read stated the guy plugged his NAV in and it found his house instantly w/o any sensors attached except the GPS antenna, so that tells me it works, I just think the speed sensor is for the safety lockout and poor coverage tracking.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:01 AM

4RF,

Andreas
It's as solid as a brick ˟˟˟˟house!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
The install document I read stated the guy plugged his NAV in and it found his house instantly w/o any sensors attached except the GPS antenna, so that tells me it works, I just think the speed sensor is for the safety lockout and poor coverage tracking.

Yeah, same with me. I plugged the antenna in and maybe 5 seconds later, it showed me right where I was without driving around like they say in the manual.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, same with me. I plugged the antenna in and maybe 5 seconds later, it showed me right where I was without driving around like they say in the manual.
I noticed this since I hooked it up, so it's worth a mention now.

When I first installed the HU, the NAV signal was picked up in like 5 seconds while sitting still.
When I turn the truck on now, I can wait for 3 mins (so far) and nothing will happen.
It seems like I have to be moving in order for it to get a signal now.
I am guessing it has something to do with the initial boot of the NAV.
I have to mess with it and see if you can still get the GPS coordinates, and the exact/approx. address of your current location while it has no signal.

There are just sooo many features on this radio, I doubt you will ever use them all, let alone find some. I was reading in the book that some menus are unlocked after pressing a series of buttons, I guess you can say like a button type combination lock.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-23-2005 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:50 PM

Awesome!

Good job. Keep us posted. I think this is enough incentive for me to forge ahead and do the same...
I agree, that looks terrific! Andreas, I can also vouch for the guy at oemvalue if you are thinking of doing the same thing to yours, he is a good guy to deal with.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

I can also vouch for the guy at oemvalue
Chris,
Can I assume you have NAV in there now...?

Andreas
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 PM

Chris,
Can I assume you have NAV in there now...?

Andreas
No, I only wish. I have a CD/cassette combo and amp that he helped me out with. Plus, I appreciate all the info he has on his website. Good stuff. That NAV unit is awesome...
Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

When I first installed the HU, the NAV signal was picked up in like 5 seconds while sitting still.
When I turn the truck on now, I can wait for 3 mins (so far) and nothing will happen.
Today it picked the signal up quick, even with the snow.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

aowRS, did you check out the new Pioneer AVIC-N2?
I think these would be some cool features, but it's a single din anyway.
I think the Kenwood DDX-7015(?) has features like this too in a double din chassis.

"Proven to be a popular feature, the vehicle dynamics offer an easy, fun and accurate method to assess a car’s performance with stock equipment versus aftermarket parts. The rich navigation features enable the system to monitor key performance attributes, provide users with vehicle dynamics in real time and perform peak holds so users are able to see and track their vehicle’s performance.

Acceleration to measure forward and backward G-Force
Lateral G-Force to measure maximum cornering force
Angular velocity to measure turn rate
Slope to measure the incline"

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...541245,00.html
Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

I think I'm sold on the OEM unit. Functionality, looks, and price all seem like winners.

Just need to carve out some time to do the install (and of course purchase a unit).

Andreas

Quick Reply: OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.