Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Installing a sound system into a 2nd Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a sound system into a 2nd Gen.

I've been searching around the web but haven't found any detailed information on how to start installing a sound system into a 4Runner. I want to install a deck and subs with an amp to power the subs. My deck will power the stock 4 speakers. How do I start wiring everything?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:57 PM

match wire to wire or go the easy way and get a wiring harness from circuit city or best buy for like 20 bucks....it's pretty simple though try searching
Old 01-21-2008, 06:01 PM

what size speakers are you gonna do cause in my 93 4runner circuit city told me 5 1/4s in the back and they were too big so i have 4 in speakers in all 4 spots
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM

caddy, same thing happened to me, i just went back to cc and they took back the 5-1/4 and let me get the 4" ones instead
Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM

yea man i was pissed cause the lady there tried to charge me more money for speakers that cost less than the ones i was returning.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 PM

If you order a deck from www.crutchfield.com , they include FREE wire harnesses and good instructions on how to take apart the dash and doors. It makes it easy even if you have never installed a stereo.

IMO, on a warm sunny weekend buy a Deck, wire harness for the deck, sub amp, amp wiring kit, subs and an enclosure and take your time. Piece of cake.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM

I bought a Pioneer DEH-P5900IB and had it installed by the place I got it from and now my rear speakers won't work. The guy said they are blown but they were working perfectly fine with the stock deck up until the new deck was installed. I read somewhere that the antenna remote wire turns on the factory amps for the rear speakers... my antenna doesn't go up or down when I turn on the radio. Does that have anything to do with it?

I have no experience installing car audio. Do I run a wire from the battery into my amp for power? Then I run cables from my deck into the amp, and then lastly hook my subs to the amp? What gauge wires should I use from my battery to the amp, deck to amp, and sub to amp?

If it helps this is what I am installing:
2 10" MTX MZS1004 300W RMS subs
1 300W RMS MTX Thunder 2301 Mono-Block amp to power the 2 subs

I plan to power my 4 stock speakers from the deck.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM

With the prices crutchfeild charges they'd better give ya a harness
Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by crazn
Do I run a wire from the battery into my amp for power? Then I run cables from my deck into the amp, and then lastly hook my subs to the amp? What gauge wires should I use from my battery to the amp, deck to amp, and sub to amp?
I ran a 4 gauge wire from my battery to the amp. You also have to run a remote wire should be a blue color from the deck to the amp and also 2 (a left and right) RCA cables. You also have to ground the amp to any metal around where you placing it (1 to make it work and 2 you need to put it close to the amp for convenience cause then you won't have to run a ground form the - battery terminal to the amp).
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM

in my 92 toyota p/u, ive added 6.5' pioneers to the doors, 4' audiobahns (dont ask) in the lower dash. Tweeters in the A-pillars. One 400w/4 Audiobahn amp for the door an dash speaker. one JL 500/1 amp for 2 12w3v2's in the back (its extended cab, but seriously who's gonna sit back there?) an i think it sounds good. if ya need any help, dont hesitate to PM me.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM

Yea, I had the same problem with the back speakers, bought them went to install them but they were way too big. Now I have 6x9's in boxes in the back with the wiring hooked up so i can pop them in and out.

But Crazn, I suggest you just buy a wiring kit for your sub and amp, theyre not cheap, but they will have all the wires and directions you need to install the thing.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:20 PM

I bought a Pioneer DEH-P5900IB and had it installed by the place I got it from and now my rear speakers won't work. The guy said they are blown but they were working perfectly fine with the stock deck up until the new deck was installed. I read somewhere that the antenna remote wire turns on the factory amps for the rear speakers... my antenna doesn't go up or down when I turn on the radio. Does that have anything to do with it?

I have no experience installing car audio. Do I run a wire from the battery into my amp for power? Then I run cables from my deck into the amp, and then lastly hook my subs to the amp? What gauge wires should I use from my battery to the amp, deck to amp, and sub to amp?

If it helps this is what I am installing:
2 10" MTX MZS1004 300W RMS subs
1 300W RMS MTX Thunder 2301 Mono-Block amp to power the 2 subs

I plan to power my 4 stock speakers from the deck.
Dont bother with factory amps and all that crap. Most speakers that are 5.25 and smaller only have like 50w RMS or less which a good aftermarket deck can handle just fine. I would run all 4 speakers to the deck and then just run your sub like you would normally using the SW pre amp output. To wire a sub you run a FUSED 8 gauge (It will be plenty big enough wire). From the battery to the amp. Ground the amp somewhere good and solid. Then run an RCA cable from the SW output on the deck to the input on the amp. Then just hook up some descent size speaker wire(18 gauge or bigger) from the amp to the sub. and lastly wire the remote wire which triggers the amp to turn on and off. It is the blue wire coming out of the deck. remember dont run your power cables and RCA cables down the same side of the vehicle... youll get interference.

Easiest way to wire a new stereo is but the premade factory to aftermarket harness or buy the cheaper harness for like 10 bucks and get a bunch of butt connectors and just match the color wires.

this is the standard wiring diagram for all aftermarket stereos. The harness that clips into the stock harness with have these color wires so its really simple and saves a bit of money.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 93caddyrunner
yea man i was pissed cause the lady there tried to charge me more money for speakers that cost less than the ones i was returning.
I've got 5.25's in the back. I just modified the box a little, and they fit just perfect. Very simple modification.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM

do what i did

I've been searching around the web but haven't found any detailed information on how to start installing a sound system into a 4Runner. I want to install a deck and subs with an amp to power the subs. My deck will power the stock 4 speakers. How do I start wiring everything?
well i just left the stock wires and added some new speakers on stock. i put some 4" in the front and 6" at the back. i just ran the wire to the back for my sub from under the carpet on the side trims...and the best spot i could think of for the amp was under my seat...just make shure to cut or zip-tie the wires, or ulle get them smashed when u move ure seats back and forth...

Last edited by Demon; 02-05-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:34 AM

show us some pics when your done, it's the most important part. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 AM

whats better 12in subs or 10s??
Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Crutchfeild is epensive but you can call their customer service and they will help you find everything you need. Write down everything they say then go buy it all on e-bay for cheap. Refurbished parts are usually way cheaper too and I havent had any problems with refurbs.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tylerh11
Thats like asking whats better, pickup or 4runner?

Depends on manufacturer, power, how much space you have to work with, and what you want your music to sound like. Thats something you have to answer. A 10 inch sub with more power than a 12 will still hit harder. But a larger sub will go a couple htz lower.

Last edited by toylocost; 02-05-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 AM

what music do u listen too? a good 10 will prob be the better choice unless you listen to a lot of rap.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Thats a really really complicated issue. Really oversimplify it. In the most general terms for a given amount of power, a larger sub will hit harder b/c it can move more air. It is generally better at very low frequancies. However b/c it is bigger it has slower responces and sacrifices some on the top end.

The sound you get out of a sub depends strongly on the construction of the sub, the design and construction of the box, and the quality and power of the signal you feed to the sub. Another factor is the size and volume of the space you are listening in. These factors greatly out weigh the size of the sub.

I've used everything from a 4.5 inch bazooka tube to the 36 in clarion. I'm personnally a fan of JL audio. Their speakers ae passable, but their amps and sub are top notch for the money. If you want to spend more money you can move up to things like the Infinity Perfect series, or Eclipse. If you want to spend a little less sony and MTX make fairly good subs. I also generally go with a fairly small sub. I've never had a problem willing the space. In my Nissan Pickup I was shaking trim pieces off with a 4 inch bazooka tube. Currently I use a single 10 in JL 10w3 in my car, and I have a 10w6AE in my 4runner.

Quick Reply: Installing a sound system into a 2nd Gen.