Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Audio gurus, I need some feedback or whatever you can provide.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio gurus, I need some feedback or whatever you can provide.

I am thinking about getting a small start soon on some front stage for SQ. I may get a chance this weekend to check prices.

I think I have made my decision as far as a brand. As some may know, I was looking at Dynaudio and Macrom as my top two choices.
I had also thought about Ground Zero, but would rather buy something I can hear first.

So I decided on PHASS. Reasons? A shop is not too far away (50 miles), I will get to hear them most likely, and they seems like some pretty high end stuff with the use of ALNICO magnets and tube amps, which both are supposed to be really nice for SQ as I recall, and they are not "popular" around here.

My choices as of now are:
Front stage - 1 set for front doors to start. Custom kickpanels will follow later.
A 650 for front stage. I don't want the aluminum tweeter as offered in the A 650 AL.

Amp will be one of these listed on this page one I find out what the power ratings of the speakers are.

Anybody have anything to add or comment on? Anything you may know about this brand? If you know anything, it's more than I know about them right now. I just want to break from the "norm" and go with something new.
If the shop can't help with the price I have in my head, I am just going to walk out and look at the other three brands mentioned above.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-30-2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:41 AM

Cant say I've heard anything about Phass before. If you havent heard anything either why are you considering them? Just curious.

As a Dynaudio owner, its hard to go in another direction. I would have to sit down in a controlled environment and A/B the Phass vs Dynaudio with a Hi-bit recording. You'll end up buying a few of these types of cd's anyway to really let your system shine. I like a few of the selections from http://www.sheffieldlab.com/

All anyone can really recommend at this level is to see which ones your ears choose. I'd hate for you to lose out on SQ because you wanted to be different. Although again, at this level, i'm sure you cant go too wrong. if your spending the big $$$ give your ears final judgment.

Good luck!!!!

Vince
Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Vince_K
Cant say I've heard anything about Phass before. If you havent heard anything either why are you considering them? Just curious.

As a Dynaudio owner, its hard to go in another direction. I would have to sit down in a controlled environment and A/B the Phass vs Dynaudio with a Hi-bit recording. You'll end up buying a few of these types of cd's anyway to really let your system shine. I like a few of the selections from http://www.sheffieldlab.com/

All anyone can really recommend at this level is to see which ones your ears choose. I'd hate for you to lose out on SQ because you wanted to be different. Although again, at this level, i'm sure you cant go too wrong. if your spending the big $$$ give your ears final judgment.

Good luck!!!!

Vince
I don't want what everyone else has, hence the part where I said I wanted to break from the norm in my first post. That plus the fact that they are made with some better materials than most other brands from what I remember from when I was into this years ago.

Have Dynaudio home theater here.

I am still open to more suggestions of other higher end brands that aren't well known.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

a sony explode in an awesome box can sound better than a JLw6 in a crappy box.....

also break away from the "norm" why does the norm matter if its good on SQ?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
a sony explode in an awesome box can sound better than a JLw6 in a crappy box.....

also break away from the "norm" why does the norm matter if its good on SQ?
Don't really know if you're being sarcastic or not.

I was more or less saying that I want to go with something new and different because of the materials they use and that being the reason I decided to give PHASS a shot.
Tube amps and ALNICO magnets were the stuff, that I remember, that made for goood SQ.
From what I am reading on the net, it still holds true.

I don't want to use something everyone else already has. I did that enough with the rest of the truck.
I was into this from age 14-20 and was out of the loop completely till now. You have to re-learn what is good and what is garbage now who bought who and so on.

For anyone that may help, I want to keep it under $2k for front 6½" components and an amp. Not @ MSRP prices, since I just won't be paying that price anyways.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-30-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

I sent an e-mail to what I think is a store in Brooklyn, NY for the PHASS stuff.

I really think I may come home with at least a new set of speakers since those amps sound like they are well over what I am budgeting for this, but the speakers should be right around the Focal and Dynaudio range from some site that doesn't include the top end models.

Check it out here: http://www.speedsound.com/caraudio.a...grp=27&pgNUM=7
Old 03-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Ouch!!!

I hope the markups are still almost double so I can pick up a set for $1k
These amps are more than McIntosh prices here price per watt.

"The retail price of the A650 set is $2,000. The prices of the RE series amplifiers are as follows:

RE2 40x2 RMS
Renaissance 2 channel constant current amplifier
$5,482.00

RE20 30x2 RMS
$4,385.00

RE100M 100w mono
Renaissance Mono block constant current amplifier
$2,648.00

RE50 50x2 RMS
$2,741.00
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

I have a quoted price, and I may be able to chew some more off. It's a little more than I want to spend, but just the materials the PHASS speakers are made from can make it seem worthwhile for me.
Thing is... They have to order them. I would like to drive over and pick them up now.
Waiting can be so frustrating.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up

4-RUNNIN' FREAK,

just to pitch in my two cents worth:

what does blue tri-laminate silk composite dome tweeters, dynamically balanced mineral filled polymer cone drivers, co-molded polymer/rubber surrounds, neodymium (NdFeb) magnets & coated baskets sound to you for a speaker make up?

as for the question of power:

"Alpine" has always been a good source for refined, crisp power (particularly their "V12" series), although if you're simply looking for raw, unbridled, continuous power, then i would suggest the "Rockford Fosgate" (particularly their digital "punch" series which offers the latest in amp technology) & rely on the speakers to clean up whatever remaining, if any, distortion.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankenrunner
4-RUNNIN' FREAK,

just to pitch in my two cents worth:

what does blue tri-laminate silk composite dome tweeters, dynamically balanced mineral filled polymer cone drivers, co-molded polymer/rubber surrounds, neodymium (NdFeb) magnets & coated baskets sound to you for a speaker make up?

as for the question of power:

"Alpine" has always been a good source for refined, crisp power (particularly their "V12" series), although if you're simply looking for raw, unbridled, continuous power, then i would suggest the "Rockford Fosgate" (particularly their digital "punch" series which offers the latest in amp technology) & rely on the speakers to clean up whatever remaining, if any, distortion.
Rockford isn't what it once was in my opinion. I want to get rid of the RF stuff in my truck now. One channel just stopped working a long time ago on the amp and the subs I have are the older power series with the 4" VC's.
As far as Alpine, people are too familiar with it. I want to get away from all that.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 04-01-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM

the speaker make up that i described to you were definitely NOT "RF", i only referenced their (RF) new digital (db) series amps.

the speakers described are "polkaudio" & i do consider them to be a rarity in the car audio market in that i've the only set up i've seen.

other than that, i've heard good things about "xtant" & perhaps a couple others that simply escape me right now, but i will post later when i remember.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a set of Morel Hybrid 6½" components to start with. I didn't want them in the first place, but I wanted something.
Now I just hope it stops raining for a few so I can hook them up.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Just got done installing the Morel Hybrids. They sound better than stock, but I am not at all impressed yet. Once I get the proper power to them, I'm sure they'll shine.

Mounting of the x-over.

The part of the door panel that needed trimming.

Crossover.

Stock Vs. aftermarket

Back of the Hybrid.

Tweeter.

Pictures of a Scion XB. This this has the Hybrids too. It is soooo freaking loud. I forgot the numbers he was spitting out, but it hurt to be in there.
The guy who owns the shop makes his own subs with parts from various places.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:35 PM

for SQ bass i would personally get a 10" infinity kappa perfect subwoofer. i have three and they are very loud and very clean sounding. the price is good too at around $125 a piece off of e-bay.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:17 PM

if it's "subwoofers" that you're after, i'd suggest: "JL Audio", or if you "...don't want what everyone else has...", i'd suggest "velodyne's" aluminum coned woofer w/matched servo unit! but watch out cause that thing will rattle your skeleton out of your body.

p.s. add "xtant" to the "amp list".

Last edited by frankenrunner; 04-09-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankenrunner
if it's "subwoofers" that you're after, i'd suggest: "JL Audio", or if you "...don't want what everyone else has...", i'd suggest "velodyne's" aluminum coned woofer w/matched servo unit! but watch out cause that thing will rattle your skeleton out of your body.

p.s. add "xtant" to the "amp list".

I used to have a servo controlled 15" Velodyne with passive radiator for my home theater setup a few years back, I know the bone shaking that goes on and I like it. (Now Dynaudio for home theater) I wasn't aware that Velodyne moved into mobile audio now. I'll go check their site.
I fell off this bandwagon a few years back. I made myself sick of it. Used to be able to rattle off specs from just about any company for a given model year. Sad.

I'm looking for another set of components right now.
I am looking into 6½ PG Titanium Elite components. I really want something with 150 watts RMS so I can buy one 4 channel amp.
I want to make some time this weekend to go try to check out some more stuff.

Whatever became of SEAS? SOAT? DLS? HIQUPHON tweeters? SCAN-SPEAK?
Are they still some of the better brands or did any go downhill? I looked on the net and all I really found was some stuff about DLS and Scan-Speak.

Can anyone offer more input?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

I hooked up my Alpine amp in my sig to the Morels and old Rockford 15" subs and all I can say is WOW!!!

125 watts RMS to the Morel front stage and the other two channels are bridged to run my subs.
Simply amazing. I am very happy with the Morels now
Old 04-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alcinos and tube amps in a car...i wish i had that stuff in my house...even more in my guitar amp

i wanna hear some of this stuff!!!

good luck with your new system