Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

AMP/SUB Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, you have an AWESOME Head unit! I'd say upgrade that sub!

Last edited by User 051420; 02-04-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:05 PM

Question Is this a good start?

Hey guys I just bought this set up. The price looked good and I have been begging myself to get something. What are the pro's & con's of this set up. I have a Pioneer mosfet deck that is 40X4?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWN%3AIT
Old 02-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Don't get me started on sony!
Yes, It is a great startup system, especially for the price. Don't expect it to last more than a couple years tho.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Tenkom
I have a single 10" infinity kappa sub in my truck and I am wondering what is the correct way to wire that into my alpine v12 amp. Its a 5 channel, so my 5th channel is for my sub, the channel is rated at 200 watts, my sub is rated for 50-275 rms, how do i get the most from my sub??

Thanks guys
ken
If I remember correctly the 5-channel alpine is designed bassicly as a 6 channel amp with the "sub" channels already bridged. anyways it basicly means that that the amp is designed to run a sub in the 5th channel.

now your sub is a dual voice coil I believe. If it is a dual 4 ohm, then you should run the sub in parallel (hook + and - together) if the sub is dual 2 ohm, then wire the sub in series (+ on amp to + on voice coil 1, - on vc1 to + on vc2, - on vc2 to - on amp)

jgrimball - I've always stuffed as much as I could, or as much as I had on hand. I'm sure there is some kind of formula for the amount that needs to be used, but who cares, it sounds good now doesn't it?

BigBadBlue - Sony is generally considered a good TV manufacturer. Car audio is not their forte' I would suggest changing the sub ASAP, and change the amp if you can. Unless you like the sound, then stick with what is working (i'm always trying to make things sound better, it's more addictive than crack
Old 02-04-2004, 09:08 PM

Post What the dealy is yo. lol

Originally posted by Eric

BigBadBlue - Sony is generally considered a good TV manufacturer. Car audio is not their forte' I would suggest changing the sub ASAP, and change the amp if you can. Unless you like the sound, then stick with what is working (i'm always trying to make things sound better, it's more addictive than crack
I have been running my Boss brand 12 off of my deck but had the Boss 12 for years. Well the Boss is blown and I just wanted more sound within a 12 being I have two boxes for 12s. So the Sony Xplod series is junk in other words? I mean no biggy being I only payed $112 shipped. But thats sucks, I was hoping I hooked myself up. Thanks for the words guys. Blue
Old 02-04-2004, 09:10 PM

it's not terrible, I mean I would pick the sony stuff over the boss stuff. $112 for an amp and sub is a good deal.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont even think thats a sony amp... look closely at the pics. it doesnt say xplod, it says xblod? it doesnt even say sony on it!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by gn86r
i dont even think thats a sony amp... look closely at the pics. it doesnt say xplod, it says xblod? it doesnt even say sony on it!
ouch! Ummm! Hmmm! Uhhh! I seriously saw that before buying it but thought the pic was taken and transparented the image somehow. In my buyers orders I posted what I was ordering and what I expected as being a Sony brand Xplod model 1800 watt amp and sony xplod 1000 watt 12 inch woofer. So I guess we will soon see what in the FFFF I just bought.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 PM

Hey grimball,
about your polyfill question....you should just loosy stuff your box with the poly fill..and try to have it broken up into smaller peices..not just one huge clump....so just have to loosy in there but not in your port if you have one...make sure the stuff is not crammed inside the box....all this does is make you box seem bigger to your sub whuch gives you deeper bass....so try that and if you want higher notes or like your old sound better then just experiment...just don;t cram it inside
cody
Old 02-04-2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by gn86r
I just emailed the seller with this email:

I recently purchased a speaker and amp from your company. I was contacted by a friend that knew I made the purchase of a Sony Xplod amp & speaker. He informed me while he was looking at the item on ebay he noticed it is a copy cat and not as it seems to be an original Sony product. He showed me how it says Xblod instead of Xplod and is the exact color scheme as Sonys products. I want to know what I am recieving from your company. Is this a copy cat product? Ben Thresher
Old 02-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

xBlod may very well be better than SONY! (which of course, isn't har to be) Take your chances!

Return that, or dispute the charge on your credit card, and go buy some good subs.

btw, I've never seen Boss in a store, nor online. Maybe its a flea market premium brand only?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:59 AM

xBlod... sounds like another slightly different named knock off of a nationally known brand name. Definitely be careful when looking for equipment since there a bunch of other imposters out there such as Rockwood (a play on RockFord ?) and Coby (whose packaging used to mimic Sony).

As for the Boss brand... I'm happy to hear that someone else has ever heard of it. The very first new amp that I bought (in 1995 or so), which is still in use today, was a Boss 160x2 RMS@4ohms. I picked it up at a flea market for about $150 bucks, and I've been pleased with it ever since. It has a built in crossover and has been bridged and powering my two Orion 10" XTR DVCs in bandpass boxes for almost 10 years!

After I bought that amp, I've rarely ever seen or head the Boss name again. My friends used to make fun of it because it was an off brand, but it has all the features of higher priced amps (output, THD%, internal crossover, etc) at a fraction of the cost .

Getting back to jgrimball... someone mentioned that one of the subs was wired out of phase. This is stretching it (and I probably should have studied this thread more), but if his box is isobaric, one sub would be out of phase. Just something to consider. If you're not familar with the isobaric concept, check out www.jlaudio.com's tutorial. It has some great information on wiring and subwoofer concepts.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:17 AM

I dunno if anyone suggested this to you, but you might want to look into getting a capacitor. With the amount of power you'll be sucking from your battery, you might notice your subs cutting out on you when you've got it pumped...
Just a thought from my own experience.

Kevin.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Oakboy
I dunno if anyone suggested this to you, but you might want to look into getting a capacitor. With the amount of power you'll be sucking from your battery, you might notice your subs cutting out on you when you've got it pumped...
Just a thought from my own experience.

Kevin.
(OakBoy)
Were you talking to me? What is a capacitor?

(SideBurns)
I got my Boss 12 in a flea market as well boxed for $130. Worked sweet for years but I also got the "huh who's Boss" from buddies. With my Xblod I will just mount the amp upside down and have an Xplod or hide it outta sight. LOL Blue
Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 PM

Responce from the seller

From: "MetricAudio - Sales" <Sales@MetricAudio.com> Add to Address Book
To: "Ben Thresher" <centralwaoffroader@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sony Xplod?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:17:29 -0800

Well, it does not say SONY it says sony style speakers. They are Audio Mobile XBLOD.
----- Original Message -----
To: SALES@METRICAUDIO.COM
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 11:54 PM
Subject: Sony Xplod?

I recently purchased a speaker and amp from your company. I was contacted by a friend that knew I made the purchase of a Sony Xplod amp & speaker. He informed me while he was looking at the item on ebay he noticed it is a copy cat and not as it seems to be an original Sony product. He showed me how it says Xblod instead of Xplod and is the exact color scheme as Sonys products. I want to know what I am recieving from your company. Is this a copy cat product? Ben Thresher
Old 02-05-2004, 12:29 PM

Sorry, I was replying about the original post. Swaping out a small amp for a large amp is all well and good, but depending on how powerful the amp is, and how much load will be put on it, it may be good to have a "cap" between the cars battery and the amp. The cap, acts as another battery so to speak. It takes a steady amount of current from the battery and stores it. Instead of the amp drawing large loads of current directly from the battery, thereby possibly hurting your battery, and your alternator. It takes it from the cap. 1 farad seems to be the most common depending on the size of the amp. Any decent car stereo shop will have them.

Just my .02.

Kevin.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

In regards to the capacitor. It is always, always, always better to get a deep cycle battery and a high output alternator. A cap is only for "stiffening", if you can't afford a battery and alternator, a cap will work. Better yet, do all three.

If you ever have dimming lights, DO NOT buy a cap, it is only a big fat band-aid.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by gapguy
If you ever have dimming lights, DO NOT buy a cap, it is only a big fat band-aid.
Wow - I never thought I'd hear someone say that! I can't tell you how many different arguments I've gotten into with people who swear up and down that "a cap is all you need!" They'll go out and spend $500-$600 dollars on caps, bus bars and the like instead of doing the proper thing and getting an alternator that puts out the amperage that they actually need.

Good job, gapguy!

~Bill
Old 02-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

I do what I can!

So many people have tried to sell me caps! I HATE IT!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:50 PM

Re: Responce from the seller

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
From: "MetricAudio - Sales" <Sales@MetricAudio.com> Add to Address Book
To: "Ben Thresher" <centralwaoffroader@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sony Xplod?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:17:29 -0800

Well, it does not say SONY it says sony style speakers. They are Audio Mobile XBLOD.
----- Original Message -----
To: SALES@METRICAUDIO.COM
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 11:54 PM
Subject: Sony Xplod?

I recently purchased a speaker and amp from your company. I
was contacted by a friend that knew I made the purchase of a Sony Xplod amp & speaker. He informed me while he was looking at the item on ebay he noticed it is a copy cat and not as it seems to be an original Sony product. He showed me how it says Xblod instead of Xplod and is the exact color scheme as Sonys products. I want to know what I am recieving from your company. Is this a copy cat product? Ben Thresher
Ok I have fealt as if I was defrauded with fake sony equiptment but for the price what did I expect right. So these are just knock offs from the read deal but should work right? The seller has over 220 sales under his belt with only 4 negs. The negs are shipping related not product related so maybe they are not as bad as ive worried they are. Should I just go with what ive got and stop crying about them being sony wannabe's?

Quick Reply: AMP/SUB Question