Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

amp installs in 1st gen 4runner: pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
amp installs in 1st gen 4runner: pics?

if anyone has suggestions on location for an amp in a 4runner, please chime in here. pics would be great.

i'd like to avoid the floor if possible, and i'd like it 'invisible'. right now i'm thinking about inside a qtr. panel, under the driver's seat, attached to the seat bottom, or on the ceiling of the cab. (yes i'd conceal it)

the amp is 17" x 9" x 3"
Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
No pics, bc the bastard got stolen a couple years back, but I had a 4 channel and a sub amp behind the cargo panels in the rear. It was great bc it didn't take up space (I used flat stock to go vertically and mounted the amp to it) but it made it difficult to adjust the amps once the panels were back in. I loved that setup, I will eventually do it in my new 4Runner, but I need better amps first. I only have the front speakers on the amp. Thats a big project for another day.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM

right now it seems the only place to put it unless some magic idea comes to mind. Maybe some other ideas may be suggested here.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM

any other suggestions? anyone got an amp stashed inside the rear qtr, or under the rear seat?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install idea

way back when - it took a lot of gear exchanges -(trial & error) ended up amp under driver seat / mtd to a sheet of 3/8" acrylic - bolted to seat rail - 300W 4 channel with wiring under console routed in cable flex tubing with xtra to allow moving of seat - added 5.25 in rear seat area side panels -replaced front 3.5" with 4x6 -to this day Pioneer makes surface mount 3way bass reflex - on wheel wells between rollbar side - enough wire so I could unplug surface mounts and plug in 8" dual sub-box in Summer -
set-up sounds good

BUT NOW - time for upgrades - everything is going except the EQ - factory bezel modified so EQ is above deck - so i could keep storage pocket

Installing a new deck with front inputs for Ipod
other than speakers and head unit installs I dont know where to put amps either - if you hear / come up with anything let me know?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by AKZEP69
way back when - it took a lot of gear exchanges -(trial & error) ended up amp under driver seat / mtd to a sheet of 3/8" acrylic - bolted to seat rail - 300W 4 channel with wiring under console routed in cable flex tubing with xtra to allow moving of seat - added 5.25 in rear seat area side panels -replaced front 3.5" with 4x6 -to this day Pioneer makes surface mount 3way bass reflex - on wheel wells between rollbar side - enough wire so I could unplug surface mounts and plug in 8" dual sub-box in Summer -
set-up sounds good

BUT NOW - time for upgrades - everything is going except the EQ - factory bezel modified so EQ is above deck - so i could keep storage pocket

Installing a new deck with front inputs for Ipod
other than speakers and head unit installs I dont know where to put amps either - if you hear / come up with anything let me know?
i like the idea of cutting out the dummy switch section for the EQ to keep the pocket.

right now, i am seriously thinking about putting the amp on the ceiling.

yep. i could get a sheet of metal, wrap it in 1/4" foam and headliner material, and mount it suspended from the ceiling. put the amp on top of it, between the new false ceiling and the roof. if necessary i could put a computer fan on each end for continuous cooling. i may get more technical on this and find a way to put a stash door in the panel, hidden with an overhead pocket mounted on the underside of the false ceiling.

this should not be hard to do, and i have the head clearance. the trick would be access to the amp after install. i could put the false ceiling panel up with a piano hinge along the back, parallel to the cap seal. the whole false ceiling could then drop down for access to the amp. i'd have to put latches somewhere along the windshield upper edge to hold the front of the panel up. they'd be behind the visors. should not be a problem.

i really think i'm going to do this, now that i've pictured it while describing this. maybe i'll make a sketch.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 PM

in case anyone hasn't seen this audio competition 1st gen 4runner. it's pretty sick. more pics at the site:
http://www.carsound.com/features/eld...evolution.html