Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

6.5's Components in Rear Doors (3rd Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5's Components in Rear Doors (3rd Gen)

I have seen very few articles/threads regarding the ability to put 6.5 inch speakers in the rear door of 3rd Generation 4Runners. I recently put a set of 5.25" in my doors but was highly dissapointed in the bass response. I decided to try the 6.5's . It was not too hard. It did require trimming the door opening (metal) a bit, making the door pocket slightly smaller, and watching the window clearance closely. I was able to fit a pair of Focal Component 6.5's with a little creativity and trimming. They sound great! It can be done! If anyone would like pictures or a rundown of what I did, just post to this thread. Also, if you are interested in Focal speakers but don't want the Car Toys ripoff price, try Woofersetc.com.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 03-15-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

I think i speak for all 3rd gen owners. PLEASE post your creations! I too would like to stick 6.5's in the rear.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going to modify the wiring on Wednesday...i'll post some picture then.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

I have a apir of Alpine 6.5" components in my rear doors w/ the tweets flush mounted above the rear seat belt. It can be done, but...IMO it depends on your setup. I run around 2000 watts,so the rears are just fill. I doubt that with my setup I would notice the difference enough over 5.25 vs. 6.5. Another thing is the rear window sometimes hits when it is all the way down. not all the time.
The pocket on the door panel needs to be trimmed as does the metal in the door itself.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I have a apir of Alpine 6.5" components in my rear doors w/ the tweets flush mounted above the rear seat belt.
Does it seem to mess up the staging up front?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Does it seem to mess up the staging up front?
no i have no issues. I am running Boston Acoustic Z's up front on a JL 300.4
Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
no i have no issues. I am running Boston Acoustic Z's up front on a JL 300.4
Cool. I may rip out everything this summer. Wires and all and start fresh and go for insane SQ. Depends on the $$$ tho, but I am almost done paying the truck off, sooooo time to have some fun.

I guess I'll go borrow a set of 6½'s to test out the staging with rears. I was not even going to waste time doing this, but I'll give it a shot.
I don't want to but them only to let them sit around and collect dust. Too much of that with me.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Cool. I may rip out everything this summer. Wires and all and start fresh and go for insane SQ. Depends on the $$$ tho, but I am almost done paying the truck off, sooooo time to have some fun.

I guess I'll go borrow a set of 6½'s to test out the staging with rears. I was not even going to waste time doing this, but I'll give it a shot.
I don't want to but them only to let them sit around and collect dust. Too much of that with me.
my truck sounds great, but damn there is a TON of cash in audion equipment. Hell, my front speakers retail for $1000. But, it sounds AWESOME
Old 03-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

What about these Alpines (fixed link) that are supposed to be like $3500.

I know there is a ton of money in it for them, but I still have kind of a hook up when it comes to this. Not as great as it used to be, but it's there. The stuff has HIGH markups.

HU - OEM NAV (probably weak pre-amp voltage)
Front doors - Dynaudio
Custom kickpanels - Dynaudio
Amps for front stage - Xtant most likely
Subs - May try these Macrom Extremes
Powered by two Macrom MIA.1000d most likely.
Signal processing will be Audio Control

This is all just in the planning stages. But it's my idea of what I am most likely going with. I really want to try out a full Macrom system just cause, but I'd like to go with something I know. (Have a nice little Dynaudio home theater setup.)

EDIT: Most of these model lines won't be around by the time I order probably. It's just to get an idead of what I am looking at/for.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-15-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

What about these Alpines (fixed link) that are supposed to be like $3500.

I know there is a ton of money in it for them, but I still have kind of a hook up when it comes to this. Not as great as it used to be, but it's there. The stuff has HIGH markups.

HU - OEM NAV (probably weak pre-amp voltage)
Front doors - Dynaudio
Custom kickpanels - Dynaudio
Amps for front stage - Xtant most likely
Subs - May try these Macrom Extremes