Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

4th Gen Audio/ Volume failure w/ drvn

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen Audio/ Volume failure w/ drvn

I have had this happen three times now for no apparent reason, during different times and temps.

I'll be driving along and the stereo will just quit. The CD player will play, the radio will function, the control work... But, no sound. The volume controls don't function (ie: you don't get the read out the the volume settings are changing.)
I can power the head on or off and the volume doesn't return. I have to stop the truck, turn it off, and restart it.

I'm thinking there is a problem with the amp, that the volume is controled via the amp, and this is why every control works except the volume, and I get no sound. Say, the amp is going into some sort of protection mode.

I have noticed when cleaning my car or other things, that if you turn off the stereo or turn the volume to "0" there is still a slight hiss from the speakers. Kinda like when you mute your home stereo.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:38 PM

Hmm

I've only had this on extremely cold weather days.. has only happened twice in a lil over a year. And it happens when I start the car... it doesn't all of a suddern happen while I'm driving. Re-start the car and it's fine like you said. Haven't noticed any hissing though..
Old 01-18-2004, 01:13 PM

What unit do you have. I have the unit with the NAV and have not had this problem.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:57 PM

Toyota knows about this problem. I had it fixed with a TSB. They replaced the amp.

Well at least I hope it is fixed. It is intermittant but it hasn't happened to me in 4 months.

Scott
Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 PM

Volume Failure

I just got out of my '03 Runner and had no Vol control as stated. I instantly ran to the computer to see what was up. I ran a search on NHTSA to see if there was a TSB but I did not find one. It is very cold here but I have had my Runner for almost 4 years and this is the first time this has happened. You are saying there is a TSB? Does this service cost anything if the vehicle is out of warranty?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 AM

This happened to me all the time with my stock deck. Since I replaced it with a Scion deck I havn't had it happen once.