The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

WIKID get more eyes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WIKID gets more eyes

WIKID has eyes for you... Teaser shot of her new LOOK so to speak.
Objective: Over the top camera system controlled 16 camera capability but only running 8 with 2 ecu's to control 2 keypads, directing which of the 4 screens get camera views. Of those views, they feed to a quad channel dvr with gps tracking. I want to run great trail video and broadcast it. Since I will have rock spotting cameras I may be able to spot myself sometime The bonus is seeing people pick their noses on the highway

While I am doing this project I am adding stuff as I go

Since the headliner is down I am doing a few things to make life easier.
Wilson 1000 antenna roof mounted. Say good bye to the lil will Mag mount. You won't see cables on the roof now. This antenna is about the best you can get for a CB The really nice feature is that you can unscrew the base of the antenna with you hand and screw a cap on the stub so you don't have to have the antenna up all the time. Its just a little black cap that is left.

I decided to quiet the beast some with a product from Second Skin Audio
Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin
The product is called Damplifier Pro. kills, vibration, heat and noise
It comes in 12"x20" sheets that have paper you peel to adhere to the roof. Its very sticky and I cannot see it coming off even if you begged it.

Next will be another insulation product I glue to the face of the Damplifier Pro
Its about 1/2 to 5/8th thick called "heat wave" and has great insulation properties

Second part of insulating

I left it short till I secure the rest of my stuff but it will be finalized after it it all done

Today was the beginning of the camera mount and wiring days. I completed 3 camera installs and ran about 80% of the wire/cables Location, location, location, was the theme of the day.
The picture below shows 2 of the 3 cameras installed today.
Camera 1
Drivers side on the roof Narrow view camera that shows lots of distance but not as much on the sides
Camera 2
Passenger side a wide angle but not much distance
My logic behind where there are mounted is..
I wanted to be able to easily clean them without having to make some kind of boom to reach the center ( remember I am short) I decided to follow the line of the washer nozzles. With that I also needed to establish an axis for where center would be in front of the truck. 8Ball and I worked it out with much effort

Side view Note: the covers have not been placed untill they are sealed with silicone into place.

A longer view

Camera 3
Rear roof . I decided a narrow view camera would be best for most conditions since I will also have a wide angle camera on the bumper

Progress on the overhead console

I used headliner material to cover the monitor pods and made a center section which will house both of the keypads, cb radio and a few other goodies I have planned for it.

Here is a sample Keypad that will control the cameras. The center was cut and formed from 18 gauge steel. Angles were important along with forming a rigid back edge

One more view from the back of the truck.
The top edge should be the approx height of the headliner

I am working with Rod from Total Vision of Tucson, AZ. Total Vision Products: The new standard in mobile vision products I gave him the thoughts I had and he developed the system. We are working together with the install. So far my end of the install is almost done. Rod is designing another system that could be a great addition to the FJ crowd along with others who may want something like it. The system being designed is not this involved for the install. Mine is just over the top. I will post more details about that soon
The wife's TT will be fitted with that system this weekend

Besides all of the wiring I accomplished the oh center console is painted and fitted.

I am pleased with the way it came out. There are still some things to add to it but it is on the way to being complete.

Next will be one more set of cables to run then the headliner can go back up.
I am waiting for the cables though
More to follow..

Last edited by puulboy; 03-18-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
That is bad ass!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toylocost
That is bad ass!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Fully and completely redonculous. I am looking forward to seeing this done.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Just a small update. Besides all of the wiring I accomplished the oh center console is painted and fitted.

I am pleased with the way it came out. There are still some things to add to it but it is on the way to being complete.

Next will be one more set of cables to run then the headliner can go back up.
I am waiting for the cables though
Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

wild install... curious what that heat shield insulation for the roof looks like...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 PM

holy cow this is so over the top I love it awesome
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
wild install... curious what that heat shield insulation for the roof looks like...
The first product is called damplifier pro I believe my 3rd and 4th picture on my first post , Its about 1/8th thick with aluminum backing the product is very dense and sticky
The fifth picture is the insulation its about 1/2 thick with aluminum on both sides and the insulation looks kind of like denim material inside
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by puulboy
The first product is called damplifier pro I believe my 3rd and 4th picture on my first post , Its about 1/8th thick with aluminum backing the product is very dense and sticky
The fifth picture is the insulation its about 1/2 thick with aluminum on both sides and the insulation looks kind of like denim material inside
so what you see in the last pics is the insulation... cool it looked a lot like the backside of the damplifier stuff...
Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 PM

I know what im asking santa for christmas
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 AM

This is sweet! Subscribed
Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 AM

It's official, I hate you. Just kidding., I think. That is Wild and looks awesome. Rock on.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM

Oh my, that is awesome. but, that also would be the jackpot for someone trying to steal your stereo, i hope you are putting a security system in there?

also, will you be able to watch tv or dvds on the screens?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Thats gonna be totally badass !!!

Looks great, Clean install on the monitors and cameras !!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd wreck for sure...I have a hard enough time paying attention to the ROAD, much less 4 screens.

What is the legality of all those screens in view of the driver?

Looks cool though.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I'd wreck for sure...I have a hard enough time paying attention to the ROAD, much less 4 screens.

Looks cool though.

Guys your age shouldn't be on the road, anyway...

Very cool project!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 96redtoy
holy cow this is so over the top I love it awesome
Thank you I have been dreaming this up for a few years now.

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
This is sweet! Subscribed
thank you

Originally Posted by 4Banger
I know what im asking santa for
christmas
Tell Santa to bring a few extra helpers with, its lots of work

Originally Posted by dport
It's official, I hate you. Just kidding., I think. That is Wild and looks awesome. Rock on.
I see lots of rigs that I hate the owners of. This is just my attempt at my way

Originally Posted by littlecommando
Oh my, that is awesome. but, that also would be the jackpot for someone trying to steal your stereo, i hope you are putting a security system in there?

also, will you be able to watch tv or dvds on the screens?
Note to self : Get this guys information so I will know where to send the police. I have not explored that part of it yet , but I am sure I could watch as much as a sports bar could broadcast

Originally Posted by scuba
Thats gonna be totally badass !!!

Looks great, Clean install on the monitors and cameras !!

Believe it or not it took 2 full sheets of plywood, a couple of bottles of 2 part epoxy and about 2 weeks to get it right. I kept on making the next prototype till I got it the way I wanted it

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Looks cool though.

I haven't checked but I would be able to cover them when I am not wheeling so it shouldn't be a problem. I however plan on driving a selected trail with the front windshield covered and plenty of witnesses. Its not the easiest trail around either, but I will practice with some side roads till get used to it .
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. That makes me want to hit the garage for some more work on the system
On another note Rod from Total Vision of Tucson az, has been great to work with and I just got news that the mocked up system has been bench tested with great results. I should be wrapping up the OH wiring this weekend and re installing the headliner
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Guys your age shouldn't be on the road, anyway...

Very cool project!
Thanks
I looked at your info page and the picture looking like it was at Florence Junction at one of the squeezes
thanks
Don
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM

The wifes TT got the camera system to be offered to others as a kit. It seems to be a good system . We will be testing it within the next week or 2. Tomorrow is the major install day for my system ecu's, keypads connecting cameras and cables, and DVR install. I hope to come home with the ability of putting my headliner back up
more to follow..
Old 03-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Light Discipline

Most hunting trucks can't camo their glass, good work!

Quick Reply: WIKID get more eyes