The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

What do I need for a 3" Body lift? 86 IFS 4x4 reg cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrojoe22
OE are grade 5 im pretty sure. I got stainless grade 8 when I did my 1" BL. So that's an upgrade. It's my daily driver and off road weekend warrior. It's not like I'm throwin it off cliffs and rolling it. If I should stick with the 1" BL, then how much lift suspension wise do I need to clear 37's? I was thinking all pro's 6" lift springs with 63" chevy springs in the rear and a 3" BL would do it (that's what my 2 friends have for their 37's)
I run 37's on my 4Runner with 3" springs and have ZERO rubbing in the fron with no firewall clearancing. Rears rub, but nothing a saw couldn't handle. You want the suspension and body as low to the ground as possible. Suspension and body lifts do not give you any axle clearance, which really is the key.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I also forgot to mention....I moved my front axle 5.5" forward. Which is not unreasonable at all!!! Thanks for the reminder wabbyfabby
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome! Guess I'll just have to see where my truck sits once I get the engine and SAS done. I'm assuming it'll sit lower than yours would since I'm going to have a heavier diesel weighing down on the front end. I was going to just get the 3" BL now so I could run this set of 35's I have laying in the garage for highway driving (not off roading).

As far as diesels go, I have a lengthy thread going on 4btswaps.com about which engine to use. We knocked out the 1.6 VW for lack of power, the VW 1.9 for cost, and the B3.3 Cummins for lack of power and extreme cost. And also knocked out the toyota 1kze for cost and inability to find the engine, not to mention parts. So that leaves me with the om617, and the 4BT. I can't afford a 4BT swap now, and I'm not sure it'd fit or that the frame would take it's abuse, even with some reinforcement. I'd need a SAS and new tranny/tcase to run it also. The om617 has been swapped in to IFS rigs without any problems, so I could put the sas off till next summer (2012). No one's put the 4BT in my truck (84-88) that's said anything about it on the internet. I've seen 89+ trucks with it, but they also have stronger frames. It'd probably be worth saving up for, but not if it's not going to fit lol. Plus, for off roading purposes, the om617 weighs in at about 550 and the 4BT at about 800. So Idk what difference 250 or so pounds makes, but I'm guessing all of you would say you wouldn't want it on your front ends.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM

O and in case any of you are wondering "why is he obsessed with diesel?"

Well here's the two factors that add up to me going diesel:

Wanting to add a LOT of power to my truck (currently have 33rwhp)

PLUS (+)

I'm majoring in Biological and Agricultural Engineering and am researching bio diesel and plan to make the my field of profession someday and need a diesel to test my ideas out on

EQUALS = Me wanting to put a diesel in the old yoter

And FUN FACT FOR YA! We currently have some bio diesel in our freezer at the lab thats pure bio diesel, no additives, and its in liquid form at -20 degrees!!! NO GEL!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh trust me, we all understand the diesel thing! I bet half the members here would have diesels if possible. The swaps just arnt mainstream enough yet.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM

So, I guess I'll just ask it here, you guys probably mostly have more off-roading experience than me, hopefully some of you have even wheeled more than one rig. Can anyone say how they feel added weight on the front end would affect my off-roading capabilities? The reason the Power Wagon doesn't come with a Cummins is because of weight. Four Wheeler magazine thinks it would be justified, though. So should I justify the 4BT in my Yota?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM

I'm running 37's with a Rough Country 4" IFS lift and 3" BL the tires rubbed a little bit on the front valance but a little trimming took care of that. It felt pretty stable until I twisted the rear axle lol.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
My shop help Sparky has one on his 87. It seems to work fine. Not a fan of it myself.
For the hassle I'd just sell the 1" and buy a 3" with all the needed pieces from 4crawler.

Got several friends with 4BT in Toyotas, ones a 92 pickup the other a 01 SAS Tacoma. Weird hearing them drive up

:wabbit2:
You could save me a MAJOR head ache if you could find out what axles they're running. That would be AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. I'm thinking an FJ80 front with chromoly's and stock rear with full floater conversion
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
92 - he pulled the front diff out and converted to 2WD for the extra room for the engine
01 - He did a SAS with D44 I think.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 AM

Okay, so they used stock rears? The only rear I was considering was a 70's F100 Dana 60 rear but ARB doesn't support it as far as I can tell. And the D44 is the same strength wise as the stock toy axle isn't it? So I shouldn't even have to use an FJ80 axle?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 AM

tel me something, i am doing a 81 build, ----if i totally had 0 body bushings, none notta, would a 2 inch bodylift actually b a 1 inch ?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Banned

And why would you want no bushings?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM

You definately dont need a 3" BL for an om617 im in the process of putting one in my 94 and have zero body lift and will not need to trim the hood when im done. The only clearancing i will need to do is a little massaging to the oil pan to clear the high steer which is no big deal. Now the 4bt is another story....

Edit: I see your still IFS not sure if it would be the same then. Heres a thread where a guy put a 617 into a gen 1 ifs 4runner which should be the same thing as yours. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=645413&page=3

Last edited by 4rnnr33; 03-08-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnnr33
You definately dont need a 3" BL for an om617 im in the process of putting one in my 94 and have zero body lift and will not need to trim the hood when im done. The only clearancing i will need to do is a little massaging to the oil pan to clear the high steer which is no big deal. Now the 4bt is another story....

Edit: I see your still IFS not sure if it would be the same then. Heres a thread where a guy put a 617 into a gen 1 ifs 4runner which should be the same thing as yours. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=645413&page=3

^ LIKE! Great find! I need to get an account on pirate... That thread's making me really wanna just settle for the om617, since I wouldn't even need to do a SAS first! A 4BT is screaming at me in the back of my head tho. My head hurts....
Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM

ya i know what youre saying i just went through the same process. for me the deal breaker was the weight, cost, and ease to build an adapter for the toyota transmission to bolt up to the om617.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM

I know I should probably just start another thread to ask "om617 or 4bt" but people seem to be really sick of that question lol. I say screw it! I'm in at the end of my second year or engineering, and if I ever plan to open my own off road engineering business, I'm going to have to tread into uncharted waters! I read that whole thread on pirate just now. Sucked, that guy sold it before he was even done. He was going to make a bad ass engine top mount intercooler fed through a hood scoop but he never got there. The guy he bought it from said it only got 20 mpg with what looked like stock tires, or close to them. I know they were stock rims, maybe 29 or 30" tires, but still. It wasn't lifted, had IFS, and a 5 speed. I wouldn't settle for less than 30mpg!! I don't think weight will be that bad. I'll eat the cost (donate a lot of plasma lol) and the nv4500 will bolt up to the 4bt.

For anyone against the 4bt because of weight, check out the top 50 for fourwheeler magazines top truck challenge. There's a yota in there with a 502 V8!!!! If that big b*stard can fit in there and work enough for the extreme of off roading, I think the 4bt with some stoud motor mounts and properly engineered suspension will do fine for me. There's also a 4bt jeep in there somewhere. I've seen a few 4bt's on the trail, and they do bad ass. The only time i ever have to rev my truck is in mud, which I don't ever go through, so I think if I get 3200 gov springs, I should be fine (with the correct gears). I never rod my 22R up past 4k anyways, it just doesn't sound good lol. I've personally witnessed a 22R blowing up because the guy was cranking it up to 6k rpm. Benz parts are expensive too. At least with the 4BT, my friend will be able to help me very easily since he has a 6bt that he's completely gone through.

I emailed Profitts about the body lift for a 4BT. Still wondering if anyone on here has actually installed a 3" body lift, that could tell me what I need to all do.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:52 PM

just search there are numerous companies that make a 3 inch body lift
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnnr33
just search there are numerous companies that make a 3 inch body lift
No, I know this. None of them say EXACTLY what you have to do to install it. I'm gettin the roger brown one. That's where my 1" came from...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 PM

i havent ever done a body lift, i will have to order something for my 81 build, all i have is a cab and a frame, that is what i was asking, if i ordered a 2 inch body lift would it b 2inch above what is already there, if u had body mounts already or does it totally replace everything anyway, which would b great
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

I would love a 4bt. Even better...in an fj40.
*Drools*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zMA2k39PQ

Quick Reply: What do I need for a 3" Body lift? 86 IFS 4x4 reg cab