The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

trail-gear vs. marlin SAS kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think that my truck would be a perfect test bed. for either kit.

i thought i should at least float the idea out there.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

since this thread was resurected, i'll update.

I used TG's kit on my truck. 5" f/r. The only exception is that i didn't use their hi-steer. I got some steering arms that fit chevy 1-ton TRE's. I used a die grinder to taper the pitman arm to fit the chevy TRE.

overall, i've been very impressed with how it all turned out. I'm running 35x12.5r15's on 15x8 aluminum wheels with 3.75" BS. I only rub on the front valence, but that will soon be remedied when i get a new bumper.

here's some more specs:
http://www.geocities.com/jsnbyh/sas/

i need to go out and take the final measurements. I think the springs have settled a little, but not much. I've taken it out to the trails twice since the swap.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by rockota
I'd appreciate some honesty in your postings, Chris. Cause the one above is by far the largest crock that I've read in a very long time. You've PM'd me statements to the exact opposite, admitting exactly what you did bring to Marlin (two products, IIRC - don't have you PM's handy right now), and yet you claim that YOU own all of Marlin's designs.

So I'd appreciate if you'd attempt some honesty, and I'm sure the rest of us would as well.
He was honest.. he brought tons of product to his new employer to be a hero, it just wasnt original and happened to be a previous employers product line. If you want an honest opinion... call a vendor that carries both TG & a USA made spring and ask what the return/defective rate is compared between the two - if the vendor carries both it will be an unbiased opinion because most vendors would rather sell a part that the customer will not have problems with rather than make an extra buck.

Last edited by Rockrawler; 06-08-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rockrawler
He was honest.. he brought tons of product to his new employer to be a hero, it just wasnt original and happened to be a previous employers product line. If you want an honest opinion... call a vendor that carries both TG & a USA made spring and ask what the return/defective rate is compared between the two - if the vendor carries both it will be an unbiased opinion because most vendors would rather sell a part that the customer will not have problems with rather than make an extra buck.
THERE IS A COMPANY THAT CARRIES BOTH! Its a little company called MARLIN CRAWLER!! They used trail gear actually lets just call them geiger springs, for a long time, they are great springs. But the US ones last way longer. I also have run both springs and I can say the us springs ride better, and didnt sag nearly as fast and CROOKED as the chinese springs. But dont take my word for it...

CALL MARLIN
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 AM

Any update on Toyota 4WD Owner doing a test of all the springs?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

The editor stopped responding to my emails so I kinda gave up. Even had one article done that never got published
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 PM

Thats too bad, i was hoping to see that... Thou I think I am going to get the marlin front springs, and trail gear rears and SAS kit. The reason i dont wan't the marlin rears is they dont have a half leaf for axle wrap, and the trailgears do.....

But we will see, my SAS isnt until March/April... so hopefully your editor will pull his head from his 4th point of contact and do a test

Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If price is the only concern, Trail Gear.

If you want USA springs, Marlin.

Most people in the 86-95 market are concerned with the bottom dollar since the trucks are, at best, 11 years old.

Marlin has been in the game a long time, they have helped in the Toyota revolution and are a name I personally trust and respect.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
If price is the only concern, Trail Gear.

If you want USA springs, Marlin.

Most people in the 86-95 market are concerned with the bottom dollar since the trucks are, at best, 11 years old.

Marlin has been in the game a long time, they have helped in the Toyota revolution and are a name I personally trust and respect.
I have talked with Marlin on several occasions, what a fantasic guy.

Like you said, the rig is old. I am, however, mostly going to a SFA for reliability with my 35's. I dont wheel as much as i would like, but still enough. I do however still want quality springs, my springs I just sold were alcan.. just cant afford new springs front and rear from them.. and this rig doesnt get as many annual miles as my previous one (about 1/3)... I would go with Marlin front and rear, but they dont have the axle wrap leaf, which i want with 35's and city driving....

I am getting marlins xcase gears soon....
Old 11-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I got the Trail-Gear 5" kit front and rear ( I like the rear sag ), I'm not sure about service as the shop doing my kit uses them. It seems like they have good service from what I'm told and have experienced. It wasn't price because the kits are similar and I've spend tons of $$ so far, it was more the local shop uses them and has done a few Toyota's in town already and they look nice. Also, mental note I am a MBA student and studying Management of Technology. Most products in the US are outsourced, including Walmart and many others. For Example how many of you have a mouse for your computer? Logitech admin is in Califoria, they design new innovations in Ireland, and build their mouses and keyboards in China and South Korea. If this was made in the US then it would cost like 150 for a new mouse not 15. The mouse still works fine. In fact even radiology is now being outsourced. Oh and take Toyota, yeah my truck was a Japanese truck however more factories and plants are opening in the US for Toyota and many other Japanese auto makers. Then look at Ford(Gosh Darn American Company), who has closed several of its SUV/Truck plants across the US so it could outsource these to China and other Asian countries. Its a Global Economy and if you can get parts manufactured cheaper and lower your costs and increase your earnings then why not. Capitalism Rocks. I think that if Trail-Gear or even Marlin or All-Pro stand behind their product then sure support them. Innovations are pre-runners to Inventions. Maybe if the springs do sag and we can get them tested maybe better springs can be developed. Lets be happy these designs are even there for us.