The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Start of an exo cage for 3rd gen...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpizzle42
Okay first off going back to the exo cage. I had sometime to think about it more today, and I saw on CUbuff's thread that he talked about keeping less weight behind the rear axle(in his case by chopping his hatch of his runner). So, would I be shooting myself in the foot by building a tire carrier in the back, by doing so I would have a lower COG, but then I would be unweighting my front tires during steep climbs. Is the real solution to build a carrier inside forget the rear seat? Maybe keep only one side of the seat? cubuff and tc what are your .02's?

And tc you said I would not be able to use adj. threaded rod ends in that size DOM. And sure enough the threaded weld in tube adapter goes from .81" to 1.00" tube ID. So really all I can do with that tube is use 2" bushings on both sides? Is there someone who sells the right threaded weld in tube adapter.
I have had my tire on the roof, rear tire carrier, and now it basically sits where the cargo area was. The roof is by far the worst, it makes you way too top heavy. The diffrence between the rear carrier and having it inside is noticable, but not drastically different. It is more about what you want. If you need the space inside for camping gear or whatever go with a rear carrier. If you don't need the space throw it inside. One other thing to conside is your view out the back window. I forgot how nice it was to be able to see everything that was behind me.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had mine inside on a rack/shelf over the cargo area.

Moved it to a modified stock rear carrier to free up room inside. I don't think it shifted the COG too badly, but:
- I have stretched wheelbase
- my pig is so damn heavy that moving that weight around is just a drop in the bucket.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I have had my tire on the roof, rear tire carrier, and now it basically sits where the cargo area was. The roof is by far the worst, it makes you way too top heavy. The diffrence between the rear carrier and having it inside is noticable, but not drastically different. It is more about what you want. If you need the space inside for camping gear or whatever go with a rear carrier. If you don't need the space throw it inside. One other thing to conside is your view out the back window. I forgot how nice it was to be able to see everything that was behind me.
Thanks for the info. Its good to know you have been through all the opitions. I really enjoy my room right now, lot of my friends dont have rigs(well they do but they are mall crawlers) so I like taking them out. And its not too bad sleeping back there. SO for now I ll build the rear swing down tire carrier. As tc said, these rigs are like flipin boat anchors, but I think ill be happy with it in the back.

As for the rear links, I have decided to use bushings on all eight locations (frame and axles). I really dont think using expensive threaded rod ends will do me any good. I will just by 2" overall length bushings from poly tommorow morning. Upper links will get 1 1/4" DOM and lowers will get 2" DOM. Should have all the materials to do this next weekend.

On a side note when I took off the links to measure them, I noticed most of my bushings were TOAST, like falling apart bad. So the new bushings from poly and stiffer links should also help on not making my truck so damn tippy.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I wouldn't do poly on both ends - too stiff, will bind up the flex. Get soft bushings on at least one end.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 PM

What do you mean by soft bushings?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Rubber - something that's going to give so as the link tries to twist as the axle articulates that it won't bind up.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM

well I went ahead this morning and ordered Chromoly 5/8" heims, with 30 degree high misalighment spacers, etc. for the upper links to use the 1 1/4" DOM I have. So I am using 2" bushings from poly on the axle, and the heims on the frame. Should have it all done by middle of next week. I ll post pictures when I they are done.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Way to much

Not enough

Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Way to much

Not enough

x2. I wanna see some exo cage
Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 AM

Hey I would be able to show you a ton of pics of all the progess I have made, but I work or go to school all the flipin time. But I am workin on it tonight and tommorow. So pictures by tommorow for sure.