The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

running gear swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
running gear swap?

hey guys, ive got basically a what if question for ya..ive got a chance to get ahold of a toyota frame and cab with full exo cage but no running gear motor or tranny..you think it would be worth it to get it and swap all of my running gear into it?? heres a pic

then i could possibly sell my good cab bed and frame for some $$?

what do you guys think?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you'd be better off Taking off your bed, and cutting the frame down to make an exo on your truck!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM

haha i know, but i dont have the coin nore the tools for it, but i can swap everything and change some things of need be...im prolly just gonna ruine my truck anyway...i can get it for trading some stuff i cant sell...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2. Unless your making a wheeling rig, then you will want to find all the interior pieces to that 1st gen cab, which will be a hassle.

Better off just building the rig you have now.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM

yea deffinate wheeling rig,...i wouldnt try n drive that thing on the street....sorry should have posted intentions with my rig
Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

I would still just build up the rig you have now. Pull off the body lift. Cut the fenders. Bob the bed.

If you swap that cab your going to have to relocate body mounts. Can you weld?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I guess it all depends on what the hell you'd plan on doing with it once you did. The first thing that caught my attention is the lack of a windshield. Why take notice of that? Well, good luck getting one put back in there. Why not leave it without one? First, where you gonna park it when it rains? I know it never really gets cold down there, but it sure does rain alot. Next, you ain't gonna be driving it down the street like that without getting a big fat ticket. Nor at any offroad parks, or OHV/ORV areas to legally wheel it, even if you've got a trailer to get it there. Why? Same deal, there's rules barring that at ANY OHV/ORV area(again, big fat ticket). And most, if not all, offroad parks will have a similar policy.

I guess what I'm getting at is, all I see sitting there is a pile of scrap metal. Unless I'm wrong, and you can fit a windshield back in there.

Sorry, but that's how I sees it.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-13-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Banned

Good imagination, but i bet that if you sleep on it for a couple days and think about all the systems that will have to be swapped over, and all the work and time it will take, you will be thinking twice before doing it.

And im not sure of your knowledge on trucks, but you may be getting in over your head. I would start small with the rig you have and build it up over time. To many people start projects and reach the point of no return and dont know what to do next. Just look at all the "projects" going for dirt cheap on CL. Hell i wouldnt even be thinking about a motor swap if i didnt have 3 master techs willing to help me out lol.

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 01-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM

i wouldnt have to weld any body mounts cuz its a complete frame, wasnt planing on driving it anywhere, but the OHV park rules would kill most fun ide have in it..could lexan the windshield or somthing and make tube doors. but ide have to make new hard brake lines, run fuel lines, cut up the front hanger to recess it (looks like it was made for lift) and prolly do the same to the rear, just a thought i guess....would like to exo my truck but i dont have a pipe bender, or my own welder..would have to barrow..so just thought it was a cool idea
Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to mention would you be putting ifs on the exo truck?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yoterr
i wouldnt have to weld any body mounts cuz its a complete frame, wasnt planing on driving it anywhere, but the OHV park rules would kill most fun ide have in it..could lexan the windshield or somthing and make tube doors. but ide have to make new hard brake lines, run fuel lines, cut up the front hanger to recess it (looks like it was made for lift) and prolly do the same to the rear, just a thought i guess....would like to exo my truck but i dont have a pipe bender, or my own welder..would have to barrow..so just thought it was a cool idea
Oh then you would be buying a sfa, leafs, and it doesnt look like anything else is on the frame either. (gastank, steering, etc.) You would end up dropping in quite a bit of money just to get it going.

Would definatly be cool to save an old yota though!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM

i have the mechanical knowlege to do it, swapped out 3 of these motors, my rear end and leaf springs, taken apart my diff a CRAZY amount of times (bad gear install) and my trucks half SASed now...just ran out of money for the steering...shocks/hoops ect...just tryin to figure out how to get it done and wheeling...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 PM

wow guys u gotta give me a little more credit than that GEEZ putting IFS on a first gen lmao, and i could take most if not ALL the parts from my truck...but agreed would be a PITA
Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

i have the mechanical knowlege to do it, swapped out 3 of these motors, my rear end and leaf springs, taken apart my diff a CRAZY amount of times (bad gear install) and my trucks half SASed now...just ran out of money for the steering...shocks/hoops ect...just tryin to figure out how to get it done and wheeling...
Oh man it will be cheaper to finish your sas! Dont worry about the exo, a couple dents never hurt anyone

wow guys u gotta give me a little more credit than that GEEZ putting IFS on a first gen lmao, and i could take most if not ALL the parts from my truck...but agreed would be a PITA
Definatly! Would be a sight to see! lol
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 PM

lol yea just bordum and thougts i guess...kinda like the idea of having a semi street legal wheeler
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so what is the story behind that truck? STolen truck and recovered? Looks like somebody stripped it.

Gonna 4 Link the back since there is no frame behind the cab?

your cab is about 4" longer than a 1st Gen cab so that Exo would take some serious reworking...deal killer IMO.
and the way the front slider extends into the front wheel well you would be lucky to run 31's