The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

New Rear shock mount location???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Rear shock mount location???

I'm trying to figure out where I can mount my shocks to allow full compression as well as the longest shock possible.

I have an 89 4runner, and I'm doing the long travel type (Prerunner) setup in front. Most of these prerunner guys run 62" leaves and run the shock through the floor straight up. I don't want to cut into my cargo area, as I carry alot of band equipment and I use this area to sleep my girlfriend and I when we go camping.

So the plan is, I have about 2 inches of lift now (With Downey 3" lift springs) and we're going to trim a good deal of fender away to eliminate rubbing. I want to be able to fully compress after hitting bumps(both tires) or articulating(One tire at a time). I also want to be able to fit the longest shock possible so I can maximize my suspension's down travel.

I am thinking about having the shock on the right side cross over to the upper left frame rail and have the left shock cross to the upper right framerail. This way the shocks would form an X when viewed from the rear, but they won't touch because one will be in front of the axle while the other is behind.

Is this a good Idea? Or will the front shock hit the axle? I figure it would take some articulation greater than what my springs could handle for this to happen.

If anyone has had a successful setup or any ideas how to achieve this please chime in. Thanks -Seth
Old 07-11-2004, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hehe...if you are going to X your shocks, plan on using several.

the farther you angle your shocks, the less effective they become. the prerunner guys cut through the bed because they want the most effective dampening without giving up travel.

when your shocks are angled at 45*, they are only half as effective at dampening. straight up and down is the best, but longer shocks often wont fit.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So at 45 degrees they are half as good, so a shock that is twice as stiff or running two would equal me out to one shocks dampening, in theory?

I figure the higher I mount them on the frame and the lower I mount them on the axle, the longer the shock I can fit. My 3 inch lift springs don't flex that far, so I guess I don't need too big of a shock.

Hopefully I can mount them at like 30 degrees.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deathrunner-

just run'm /\ to the center- works fine-

I'll send you some pic's if you'll PM me with your e-mail address.

later