The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

New member rack project

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member rack project

Hey guys, I'm new here. I just wanted to share some pictures of a safari rack I am building for my sequoia. It is unfinished and I wish I had taken more pictures earlier on in the build. I built it out of 1" sch 40 aluminum pipe.

I will post more pictures of the construction as I make more progress.

I welcome input, but please be kind. I plan on asking alot of questions in the future about making my sequoia and tacoma more off-road ready. I recently purchased land in Maine and have already realized te limitaions of my stock vehicles. I ripped the front bumper cover off of the sequoia so don't be surpised to see a front bumper build.
Attached Thumbnails New member rack project-rack2.jpg   New member rack project-rack.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 AM

sweet what tubing did you use?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by yotalaz
sweet what tubing did you use?
1" sch 40 aluminum pipe. The outside diameter is 1 1/4"

I will finish it with black bedliner. I don't like shiny.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Here are some more pictures. I added some more cross supports. I plan on adding more still. Next is the light mounts and mounting brackets.

I included a picture of how the pipes are notched before assembly. Does anyone have any interest in seeing the setup and fitting of the pieces before they are welded or after they are tacked together? It seems like lots of you guys are pretty capable so I don't want to waste anyones time with something you already know or don't care about.

Anyone have any input with this thing? This is the first one I have built. I'm a little concerned about wind noise.
Attached Thumbnails New member rack project-rack.jpg   New member rack project-rack2.jpg   New member rack project-rack3.jpg  
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Looks great,,,, I have a ladder rack on my 89 ext cab,,, and there's a lil noise but nothing unbearable compared to the utility of having a rack!!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Sweet man I see the boat in the back ground of a picture! Do you make aluminum tops and towers or something? Down by me we have alot of guys that make them and are good with aluminum and I know it's not something easy to weld. Good job.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:46 AM

Here is the completed rack mounted. I finished it of with spray bedliner in a can. I like the rough finish of it, it's cheap and easy to touch up if it gets chipped. Now I just need some lights for it.

To answer your question richf, I do some marine work. I am still fairly new at this but in the future I plan to build aluminum tops and towers. Thanks for the complement.
Attached Thumbnails New member rack project-rack.jpg   New member rack project-rack3.jpg   New member rack project-rack4.jpg