The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Lions tigers tacoma motor swap oh my

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lions tigers tacoma motor swap oh my

Got this freebie tonight . Complete 4.7 tundra for free. Think my tacoma needs a heart transplant It was a warranty toss out that was under freshwater. Best part is that it wasn't every hydrolocked and has everything I need down to the motor mounts

Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 PM

arnt the bearings going to be all rusted out...it has to be ran after it is in water otherwise the water stays in the crank case.....this is true for jet skis....i sank my ski yeaterday, it was shut iff when it sank and there was water in the cases and we had to get it all out drain and refill the tank and than i had to go ride it for 15 min to make sure there is no more water in the cases....
Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 PM

sweet deal on the new motor, hope to see an awesome buildup thread.
feel like passing on the toyota karma?
how about donating your old 3.4 the charity of one starving collage student namely, me.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:30 PM

I would love to donate a 3.4 but my truck is only a 2.7 There was a 3.4 block next to this one but unsure of the condition. As for the bearings rust is not my concern right now especially since it was freshwater. I have a little experience with water in motors considering my service dept has been #1 in the nation in suzuki outboards service wise for 3 years straight and has been in the top rankings since 1998. When he said it was under freshwater and it wasn't hydrolocked I couldn't get to the door fast enough
Old 11-21-2005, 09:58 PM

before you do all the work to install it i would tear it down... freshwater will destray engines also, thats what i ride in. when i sank the ski we had 25 min to flush the water out of the engine and drain/fill the tank to get it started otherwise the bearings are toast
Old 11-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice find Josh! Maybe we can work out a trade or something! you know you don't want to put that in youre rig.......he-he

definately pull the pan and check out the bottom end at least. But if it wasnt started and just flooded, then there may not be a whole lot of damage. Hopefully the motor didn't take on too much water. I'll be by later this week to check it out.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:40 AM

Sweet deal. Can't wait for a monster build thread for this swap.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Wait a sec, what the hell was a tundra under warranty doing under freshwater? Id like to hear that story!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was in a flood. A month or 2 ago we had around 10" of rain in a day and there was a lot of flooded areas. a lot of cars includung this sequoia couldn't swim.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:52 AM

Yeah, Fresh or Salt water... it's all gonna ÅÅÅÅ up a motor if it's not cleaned out. Water doesn't rust things, air does FYI...

Dave
Old 11-22-2005, 12:04 PM

its actually the mixture of metal oxygen and water that causes rust. thier is always air in an engine. it is when the water comes in and sits there that messses the stuff up.... FYI
Old 11-22-2005, 02:33 PM

WHo cares what rust what. The insurance company payed for a new motor and I got the old one free. From what I've seen so far it doesn't look to bad on the inside. Once I get some more cash I'm going to strip it down and see what LC Engineering and TRD offer for it as well as what I can swap with the lexus motor to boost the HP like you can the old 3.4 V6
Old 11-22-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RockComa
WHo cares what rust what. The insurance company payed for a new motor and I got the old one free. From what I've seen so far it doesn't look to bad on the inside. Once I get some more cash I'm going to strip it down and see what LC Engineering and TRD offer for it as well as what I can swap with the lexus motor to boost the HP like you can the old 3.4 V6
Yeah, congrats either way, that's a pretty SWEET score eh.

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
its actually the mixture of metal oxygen and water that causes rust. thier is always air in an engine. it is when the water comes in and sits there that messses the stuff up.... FYI
Nope, cause without air, there would be NO rust.. rust is oxidization, as in Oxygen literaly "burning" things... for example if you breathed pure O2 you'd die from oxidization of the lungs of a sort... Oxyen is an accelerant and a corossive FYI... Chem Major turned Firefighter... this is sort of my specialty...

Dave
Old 11-22-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
Nope, cause without air, there would be NO rust.. rust is oxidization, as in Oxygen literaly "burning" things... for example if you breathed pure O2 you'd die from oxidization of the lungs of a sort... Oxyen is an accelerant and a corossive FYI... Chem Major turned Firefighter... this is sort of my specialty...

Dave

yes, but i was saying since there is always air and metal inside an engine the last ingredient needed to form the rust is the water....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
either way, if the engine's been run, everything inside is going to be coated with a good film of oil. not much in there going to be rusty.

i agree though, pull the pan and pull the rod and main caps to check for damage. if they look good, run her
Old 11-23-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
yes, but i was saying since there is always air and metal inside an engine the last ingredient needed to form the rust is the water....
yeah that's fair...
Old 11-23-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm first in line for the 2.7 (for real, I'll be there with cash).

Good score on the 4.7.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 PM

This swap has never been done has it? I havnt seen anything on it atleast... Its gonna be pretty custom i guess?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:02 AM

I've seen one truck with it done about 3 hours from me. Saw him in traffic and just got a couple quick questions before the light turned green but I got enough out of him to get a good start on what to do.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:20 PM

Cool... Make sure to take lots of pictures for us...

Quick Reply: Lions tigers tacoma motor swap oh my