The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

I've got a new cheaper plan!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinh
check out the new Cooper STS, they have a 37" that measures like 36.4 inches tall, i bet you could fit those with a 3" body lift and your current suspension set up.
I bet you're right, and I'm planning on doing some serious research on tire sizes once the time comes. Where have you found this tire at, because it doesn't appear to be on their website?

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravencr
I bet you're right, and I'm planning on doing some serious research on tire sizes once the time comes. Where have you found this tire at, because it doesn't appear to be on their website?

Chris
http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...#sizesAndSpecs

i was wrong they are 36.7 and for 17" wheels, check 4wheel parts they had their version of the mt/II wheel in 17x9 on clearance for $80 a piece about two weeks ago. i think you have a good idea! i can't wait to see it done. e-mail me at jhanzlik@alltel.net and i will give you those pictures from you playing around at fain's ford.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 PM

Runs the 36s and carry spares. I ride with a guy in a tacoma with 3" BL and OME 882's on 36x12.50s. No damage yet and he's locked. Just know how to drive and it won't be a problem. BTW you might as well take the money for that fagtech lift and throw it away. I would much rather go your route than there stuff. I've seen what it does in extreme crawling conditions on another tacoma
Old 12-14-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by RockComa
Runs the 36s and carry spares. I ride with a guy in a tacoma with 3" BL and OME 882's on 36x12.50s. No damage yet and he's locked. Just know how to drive and it won't be a problem. BTW you might as well take the money for that fagtech lift and throw it away. I would much rather go your route than there stuff. I've seen what it does in extreme crawling conditions on another tacoma
Please tell what happened with the Fabtech kit, even though I'd never buy one. I definitely think 36" is possible. I'm just afraid that being here in teh east where tire traction is somtimes off and on, it might break more often than a place like the Moab where traction is 100%. We'll see eventually, though.

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 03:21 PM

I've been thinking some more after talking with you guys, and the only downside I can see to my next idea is that I won't achieve as much flex with my rear end, possibly (yet to be determined). I'm thinking that since I'm raising my body 3", I wonder if that would be enough for my gas tank to be raised the 3" in it's existing location, making it flush or even possibly above the the frame rails??? I haven't even looked, because my truck is at work, but I'd be interested to see if this might work too.

Chris

P.S. Also, I might have found an awesome alternative crossmember already made up by and existing company that will work so I can easily get rid of my stock front crossmember. Then if this idea for the stock tank would work, all I'd have to do is move the rearward crossmember up 3" and everything would fit perfectly.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:49 PM

the problem with the gas tank being raised in it's factory position is where the filler tube enters the gas tank it enters right below a cross member. however, with a 3" body lift you may be able to get it high enough so that it can go in above the crossmember, or just modify the cross member.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:53 PM

It's just an idea at this point, because I don't even know if it would raise it high enough to clear the bottom of the frame. I could definitely work around the filler tube, especially since it's mostly flexible.

Here's a link to the crossmember I'm talking about: http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/...ber_tacoma.htm

I'm getting confirmation from them to make sure that removing both cross members still leaves me with a strong frame, especially if I choose not to move up the gas tank in the stock location and move it to spare tire location. The only thing I'd need to do after using this crossmember is armor it up and that's about it.

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 03:57 PM

It's just an idea at this point, because I don't even know if it would raise it high enough to clear the bottom of the frame. I could definitely work around the filler tube, especially since it's mostly flexible.

Here's a link to the crossmember I'm talking about: http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/...ber_tacoma.htm

I'm getting confirmation from them to make sure that removing both cross members still leaves me with a strong frame, especially if I choose not to move up the gas tank in the stock location and move it to spare tire location. The only thing I'd need to do after using this crossmember is armor it up and that's about it.

Chris
i think you also have to weld one of the mounts for it, i think it only uses one of the factory mounts or something, i read something on ttora recently that made me think that, budbuilt also has a new line of taco stuff coming out, you may want to check them out as well.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by justinh
i think you also have to weld one of the mounts for it, i think it only uses one of the factory mounts or something, i read something on ttora recently that made me think that, budbuilt also has a new line of taco stuff coming out, you may want to check them out as well.
Actually, you weld both attachment points to the frame where you need them after the drivetrain lift is done. I've also emailed Budbuilt, and like you said they are working on some cool products for our vehicles. In addition, Front Range is also making a skid plate for the Tacoma that will probably work on ours too.

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 04:20 PM

Bud is a great guy. Tell him Josh from wilmington said hello. I needed a belly up skid for mine and he didn't have the tacoma line done in time so he just modified one of a a 93 or so I think to fit my application. I had at one point spoke to him about raising the gas tank as well since I had been wanting to do this in my jeep but blew the motor and sold it before it happened
Old 12-14-2004, 04:25 PM

I'm curious to see what they both come up with, although this link has a prototype model. But, since I'm hoping to have my belly flat across, this model wouldn't be ideal for me: http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/skidplate.htm

I nice flat 1/4" plate from one side to the next with angled sides would be ideal. Heck 1/4" is probably too thick, and I could easily get by with 3/16", which I already have for my bumper.

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 PM

Brian makes nice stuff. I would buy his crossmember before I bought the skid, it will allow you to make another skid for a flat belly.

I have a completely flat run from my nose to past the crawler. I still get hung up because the front unloads and won't pull.

Front locker. I am telling you. You are going to gain the equivalent of going from 33's to 37's, but you still are going to catch the belly.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Brian makes nice stuff. I would buy his crossmember before I bought the skid, it will allow you to make another skid for a flat belly.
That's what I'm thinking. If indeed I achieve a fully flat belly, my skid will be pretty easy to design and fab up.
I have a completely flat run from my nose to past the crawler. I still get hung up because the front unloads and won't pull.
What do you mean by this second sentence?
Front locker. I am telling you. You are going to gain the equivalent of going from 33's to 37's, but you still are going to catch the belly.
It's coming, trust me! I've been numerous places where a front locker would have pulled me right through, in addition to being able to do it with a lot less gas and wheelspin, which I hate to do.

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Marlin is working on a clocked version of their crawler adaptor and are planning on doing an MC-09 version. This will give the T-case more ground clearance. I'm already in the process of going to a flat belly on my rig. The next step is moving the tank, then cutting out both crossmembers, but I'll fabricate new ones to replace them. One option that I'm keeping open is building my new lower link mounts onto one of the crossmembers. Going to a 3" BL is a bit extreme and I doubt you need to go that high.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Marlin is working on a clocked version of their crawler adaptor and are planning on doing an MC-09 version. This will give the T-case more ground clearance. I'm already in the process of going to a flat belly on my rig. The next step is moving the tank, then cutting out both crossmembers, but I'll fabricate new ones to replace them. One option that I'm keeping open is building my new lower link mounts onto one of the crossmembers. Going to a 3" BL is a bit extreme and I doubt you need to go that high.
My lower links mounts at going to be part of the rearmost crossmember too. Have you measured to see how many inches of a drivetrain lift will raise the transfer case above the frame rails, and still leave roughly 1/2-3/4" of an inch clearance for a skid plate? I figured 3" would be cutting it close, but I could be wrong. I'm going to fabricate new crossmembers not only to be the supports from ym skid plate, but also retain and increase the frame strength. I don't think the Front Range crossmember is as strong as the two stock crossmembers combined.

Chris
Old 12-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

1988 Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44 for me. ARB and 5.38's. At 4 Wheelers Supply right now getting the gears set up.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
1988 Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44 for me. ARB and 5.38's. At 4 Wheelers Supply right now getting the gears set up.
links or leaves? how low are you going to keep it?

Last edited by justinh; 12-14-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Leaf springs, 3" over stock. FJ-62 copy. Stronger and Non-Monster truck.

Randy Ellis & the BTG guys gave me link lessons, no way I'd pull it off to my satisfaction and I really don't want any bling bling.

Alcan leafs should be nice. If and when I get a break from Sonoran Steel work. I'm swamped through Feb 05.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 12-14-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I researched A Body/Drivetrain lift a few months ago but I didnt want a 3" BL so I never ended up doing it. also at the time there was talk of Marlin coming out with a clocked dual case adapter. Well now that the clocked adapter is out, I am starting to reconsidder doing this. I think I would only need a 1.5" BL with the clocked adapter and a 1" DT lift tho have a flat belly. and I would gain a .5" of underhood clearence for my engine swap. I have seen the crossmember used for a lower link mount a few times on Pirate.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Chris
Chris if you want to see if 36's will work, just try the Buckshots off the back of Paul's buggy.

Quick Reply: I've got a new cheaper plan!