The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Getting into Welding/Fab

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gametom
you need some kinda of gas to get a clean weld. the flux core stuff looks like crap, and do your self a favor and buy a auto darkening helm from harbor fright it makes a huge difference. as far as 110 migs go i like the Lincoln models B/c if you buy a few parts you can weld aluminum. Welding is easy it just takes practice. i taught someone to mig weld in about a hour and after he welded for a few hours he was good enuff to weld up a set of sliders.
That's not quite true, FCAW can put in great welds. They just look different, it's a hotter process, it's smokey, and requires a different technique.

Gas and flux can both shield the pool well. To say you "need some kind of gas" doesn't describe why MIG is preferrable. It has little to do with quality and everything to do with practical differences.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 PM

Ok, well sad to say I cheaped out. I went down to Princess Auto(near as I can figure the Canadian version of Harbour Freight), and got one of their import special Mig welders: 120V, 78A. I know it's not going to be the greatest thing in the world, but I figure for $200, if it lasts me a year or so before I either outgrow or it busts. But it can still run Flux-core and gas, and the price was right...especially on a University student wage.

Unpacked it and started "playing" tonight on some scrap I had lying around. I suck...but oh well. It was fun. I'll go to a scrap metal place this week and go get some different stuff to practise on.

Once I get out of school and can afford something bigger and better, I'll look more into it. For now I'm going to have fun with my new toy.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same thing, bought a cheap clark flux mig. Figured if I use it enough or burn it up I can justify upgrading.. but if it sits around most of the time, I am not out a ton. it will do 3/16, so i will get good at multiple pass welding.

The guy I work with doing finish carpentry is going to get a high amperage stick/arc so we can do thick stuff for frame reinforcement.

so we will see..
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM

I do tig / mig / stick welding on a semi-regular basis, for repairs and fabrication.
My current position is with a Pharmaceutical company so its mostly tig for light to intermediate jobs and mig for heavy-duty applications with ss wire.
I would buy for myself a good Miller or Lincoln mig welder, Miller is my preference, heres why, every welder that is used on a regular basis will need maintenance and/or repairs and over the years the Miller welders I have used held up the best and were usually easier to maintain and repair.
Tig is buy far the cleanest and also the hardest to master.
Mig is kinda the do-all workhorse and is not too messy and is usually the easiest to get someone started without them getting discouraged.
Stick isn't bad but, I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 AM

MIG or GMAW, is by far the easiest. you pull the trigger and go. it is good for sheetmetal, as it doesnt have the penetration of STICK/ARC (GMAW). i personally stay religoesly to stick. it is a little frustrating to learn, but it produces the best welds of all. TIGor GTAW, it completely useless for production or service welds on your rig unless you are making an aluminum tool box. same goes with Oxy Acetelene or OAW welding and cutting. it plain sucks and is useless. either MIG or Stick is best. justbe sure that you are not welding on chromium (chrome), berilluim, zinc coating (galvanised) and several other metals, as the fumes given off from heat, will either injure/kill you or make you very sick. an auto dimming helmet is very nice, but may be a little overkill. if you are going MIG, i strongly suggest Miller. if you are going arc, lincoln. but a few machines, miller to be exact, have MIG, TIG, Stick all in one, you just turn a switch and use the correct stinger. hope it goes well
Old 10-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by gotmud?
TIGor GTAW, it completely useless for production or service welds on your rig unless you are making an aluminum tool box.
This is just plain BS. There is nothing wrong with TIG. It is more time consuming but in the end produces as good if not a better weld. I know several people who TIG everything they make. There is nothing wrong with that. If I wasn't a lazy mofo I probably would too...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tig is really reserved for more exotic materials. I think the cons outweight the pros for most of us here. But, back when I was a mountain biker I loved some of the different companies signature welds. (Merlin, Litespeed, high end GTs )

Which, speaking of bikes, the lost art of fillet brazing and lugs. They can turn tubes into engineering artwork, at the cost of 1/2- 1 1/2 lbs but I digress with diarhea of the mouth.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 AM

nothing wrong with GTAW, i perfer it, its quiet, clean, easy to do, can make awesome looking welds.

MIG/MAG is probably the easiet i've welded with.

I've done most types of welding

GTAW, MIG/MAG, Oxy-fuel, stick.

hardest thing i've ever done hands down would be a butt weld using oxy-ace on aluminum, you've got to have extremely good heat control or you'll burn though.