The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Fitting 39.5" Iroks under an 84 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitting 39.5" Iroks under an 84 4Runner

I've been running some worn out 33" TSL's that have been handed down from person to person for the last 10+ years. They are completely beat up. I've needed tires but decided to get my rig built and wheel on smaller tires until I could afford some larger meats.

I've always wanted to run the 40" Iroks but never thought I'd be running them this early. I landed a good deal on them and couldn't have passed them up. I always thought I'd start with the 36" Iroks and work my way up to the 40's.

I rub big time with the 33's in the rear since I moved the rear axle back 4" to gain some wheelbase.

I'm going to have to trim the rear quarter panels out big time along with adding some bump stops to the rear. On the front, I will have to trim also and lower the current bumpstop. I probably have 5-6" of compression uptravel in the front so lowering the bumpstops won't hurt my flex too much. The droop will still be there.

I found a spare tire for my Honda It couldn't have fit any better.

Height comparison vs. my old tires. My old 33" tires only have 10-12 psi in them and are 31" tall when inflated @ 20psi. Definally a step up in tire size

Side by side

It's like I'm on low-rider tires compared to these 40" Iroks

I jacked up the front end to where the big tire would probably sit. Definally gaining some ground clearance!!

Another look

Gaining about 4" on the top and 4" on the bottom

I'll update this thread with trimming pictures once I start to work on it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Its about time you got some real tires fool!

Now, Get em on, and get out and take more sweet pictures of hardcore trails so I can drool and dream!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Its about time you got some real tires fool!

Now, Get em on, and get out and take more sweet pictures of hardcore trails so I can drool and dream!

Will do!! I've felt like my 4Runner has been held back by those crappy tires, I can't wait to see what a real set of tires will do on the rocks

We need to plan a trail run this summer, I still haven't gotten a chance to see your 4Runner in action.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

As long as it isn't spring creek, I'm down!

I need to get together with you over beers and discuss the possibilities of liberty. I know its one of your playgrounds, and want to get some detailed info from someone who knows the trail. I don't want to drive all the way down there only to have to turn around.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

And I need to stay on topic! LOL

Sweet tires!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice tires...

I always wanted to run such big tires, but felt that those maybe a wee bit to big for a yota imho as it will need major triming.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 AM

Contact Joez

he did 42's with very little lift (saggy 3" leafs)

Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
Contact Joez

he did 42's with very little lift (saggy 3" leafs)

Thanks for the info!! I couldn't imagine fitting 42's after trying to figure out how to fit 40's
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Those bad boys right there are the only reason I'd ever even consider swapping my truck. I love those tires. And you're right. The 33's do look tiny sitting next to them!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Volcom
Thanks for the info!! I couldn't imagine fitting 42's after trying to figure out how to fit 40's
He was running 38" skinny boggers. Then he threw on the 42s, did a little sawzall work, and just went wheelin. The tires did the rest
Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you could trim the fenders and add a bit bigger bumpstop to limit some of the uptravel/tire rub. I see alot of guys on the trail with little to no uptravel becuase of the bumpstops and they fit 42 easy. They look good cant wait to see them on your rig
Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM

I don't think you will be able to get them to fit, so I will come over and take them off your hands.. You like the challenge that the bald 33's give anyways.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 PM

Can you say BEAD LOCKS?????????
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM

Just my few cents. Uptravel doesn't have to be so very much, just abit of thinkin' when designing the suspension. (IMHO I'd never run my wreck on leafs but that's just me.) It can be done on Leaf spring suspension, but is abit more trouble to get it to work well and also be good as a daily driver.

I have coils in front and rear, and runnin' 44s is not a problem unless I want to turn. (that's why I'm not drivin' on 44s until later this month, haven't had the time to "finish" everything for the 44s)

Okay, now back to the real thing.
The only thing you need for a 4runner to fit 44s or 42s or 39,5s... 2"-3" body lift. alot of trimmin'.
and maybe 2"-4" lift on leafs/coils.

If you really want to be grand, and if you are good with a MIG welder, move the rear axle more backwards. Mine is around 6" backwards and I'm gonna move it even more.
There is somewhere around 30-50k toyotas (hilux/tacoma/4runners) in Iceland, and around 15-25% of them are driving on the streets daily on 33s up to 44s...
IFS, Leaf springs and coils...doesn't matter what suspension, everything can be made to fit 38s.

If you have any questions you'd like to ask, just PM me. I've put more than a dozen trucks on bigger wheels with great success.

And I'm not an elitist a-hole that always needs to be right, I'm just a perfectionist! (SP??)

I'd suggest you to take a look at my website, http://www.ulfr.net/Flakkari/
There are pictures of my trucks there and in the gallery "Undanfari" there are pics of my ol' 4runner runnin 38s. And how I did it. (Unfortunatly, everything in Icelandic )
Old 02-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Went out Saturday and borrowed a forklift to try and figure out how much triming it's going to take to fit the 40's

Picking up the rear to flex out the front springs. We were able to pick up the left rear tire 31" before the right rear would lift off of the ground. Not bad for a leaf sprung truck!

There was only 2" of clearance between the pinch seam and the tire. I will need about 5 more inches of clearance for the larger tires. I plan on lowering the bumpstop and maybe moving the axle forward an inch by drilling the spring perches and U-bolt plates.

I took the rear gate off to make it easier to work on the truck. I also have an extra tailgate thanks to a friend of mine to replace my BV Carnage dented one

Hard rubbing on the passenger rear tire. I will need 5" of clearance back here also. I will probably trim between the two lines on the quarter panel.

Flex shot, pretty stable even at that angle.

Nice forklift and the big tire to try and fit

Picking up the front to flex the rear springs. I was able to lift the front tire 27" before picking up the passenger side tire.

Say goodbye to the front fenders

Passenger side rear. I'm planning on following the outline of the fender at the top of the cut.

Not bad flex!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You are going to have to tub the firewall back to the body mount to fit 40s.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 PM

nice keep me posted on how you like the 40s
Old 02-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You are going to have to tub the firewall back to the body mount to fit 40s.

I'm hoping to bumpstop it low enough to avoid that much work this winter. I will probably tub the firewall for next years winter project.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Volcom
I'm hoping to bumpstop it low enough to avoid that much work this winter. I will probably tub the firewall for next years winter project.

You wont be able to bumpstop it enough. Tubbing the firewall is easy anyway, cut the pinch weld off, and you can beat the firewall back. As it moves back the pieces of sheetmetal overlap, and you no longer need any patchwork or to fill any holes. Squeeze some silicone in there, and weld it up. I used this method and it netted me enough space to clear my 42's without much issue.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by joez
You wont be able to bumpstop it enough. Tubbing the firewall is easy anyway, cut the pinch weld off, and you can beat the firewall back. As it moves back the pieces of sheetmetal overlap, and you no longer need any patchwork or to fill any holes. Squeeze some silicone in there, and weld it up. I used this method and it netted me enough space to clear my 42's without much issue.
That sounds like way less work then cutting a huge hole in the firewall and patching it up. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Fitting 39.5" Iroks under an 84 4Runner