The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

F-150 Fuel Tank into first gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
F-150 Fuel Tank into first gen 4runner

so i bought this tank about a year ago with the intention of swapping it into the my 4runner .. time has come .. Its a rear gas tank out of a 1988 f-150 eXended cab. I think it was 88 not 100% on that .. it was extended cab and was an f-150.

Reading thru others threads on the swap found the fuel sender reads backwards to the toyota sender ..
original orientation.

solution, i hope !!.. flipped and turned , arm tweaked.

started out by making some 5/8th spacers but the whole assembly would not fit back into the tank , hole is to small .

..so i cut the spacers down to 1/4 and it fits just barely.

also, now the sender is not grounded to the fuel pump bracket so i added a small piece of wire from the sender to the fuel pump bracket to ground it.

ill hopefully start measuring and cutting on the truck tomorrow .
empty

toyota sender , from a pickup 4cyl
needed a third hand so i pryed my son off the playstaion for a second.

Last edited by RMA; 01-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested on how this turns out...
Old 01-28-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious why you didn`t just swap the fuel sending unit over from the toyota??

Will all the fuel lines connect with out a lot of fabrication to the ford fuel pump bracket??
Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just curious why you didn`t just swap the fuel sending unit over from the toyota??

Will all the fuel lines connect with out a lot of fabrication to the ford fuel pump bracket??
its easier to just keep the ford stuff ... but you could swap the toyota stuff over ,just be alot more work , everything would have to be modified for the pump , .. new whole drilled in the tank for the toyota sender it wont fit on the ford bracket .

i did get to work on this a bit yesterday ,and now having second thoughts on the tank swap ..HAHA!
i want to be able to connect the toyota body fill tube to the ford tank fill hole .. but its not gonna be easy .
I dont know how much the axle moves upward , so dont know what the limit is space wise between the axle and tank .

right now in the pics i have 4 inches between the axle and tank .. i could move the tank up another 2 inches but the fill hole on the tank would not be at a good height to be able to connect the fill tubes together.
Because of the weight of the tank when full ,
i would like to keep the tank as far forward as possible , but may just have to move it all the way back to keep clear of the axle .

well im out to work on this for a bit ..
heres some pics from yesterday

Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Interesting.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Interesting.
How's it going MR. Biggie Blue ?.. still around i see .
The following users liked this post:
BigBluePile (09-27-2022)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by RMA
How's it going MR. Biggie Blue ?.. still around i see .
Shhhhhhhh ......
Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so theres no way im getting the fill tubes together , to many problems with that .. i really hate to have to have the fill tube poke out under the fender , but thats what gonna happen .. i just need to find a way to keep it clean , i dont want mud getting in my tank when i go fill it up ..

i made two cross members and the tank is installed .
i used 2 toyota gas tank skids for now , 1/2 bolts and 1/2 all thread,original ford tank straps .. everything is just tacked for now i may change the rear crossmember with something more beefier.i did have to remove and turn the shackles so the threaded part is facing out ward now , was in the way.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Read through here real quick a couple times. Might have missed it but I didn't see the capacity of that tank.?

Cool swap
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

thanks ...Well obviously I haven't filled it yet, but everything I've read about it tells me it's 19 gallons
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

ok so i worked on this for a while yesterday and today.

couldnt find the ford straps so i picked up some galvanized strips and made some .

also im back to using the 4runner fill tube , so picked up some stainless tubing and plate .

first cuts on stainless with my new toy .. works great

welded and ground with stainless wire and argon.. not the nicest but it wont leak..

changed my mind on the sender also the ford sender does not have the low fuel light sensor and i want it working .. so using the toyota sender.
punch to 1 3/4.

test and shape

clean and solder

you can see the solder went all the way through ..

adjusted the arm and light sender.installed

had my son paint the skid .. some runs but whatever..

and just in case i cant get the original tube to work with the tank .

also removed the 4runner tank and will be bending some tube tomorrow , hopefully i can get them to work .

one question to anybody out there that may know.

the ford tank doesnt seam to have a breather for the fill tube , not sure if thats what the plastic valve on top of the tank is for or what .. i m planning on adding a 1/4 stainless tube to be the breather unlesss someone can tell me that i dont need to add one because thats what the plastic valve is for .

Thanks !

i also power washed the under side of the 4runner will be adding undercoating before alls buttoned up .

Last edited by RMA; 02-04-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

so bending the tube didnt go as planned .. i found out that close is not good enough when bending one size tube with another size die .HA

so i had to cut and weld .. this corner is the better of the 2 .. i wont even show the other side nasty but no leaks , tested and no leakes ...anymore!

so the 4runner fill tube is now connected to the ford tank .. not the best angle but im gonna test fill it before i redo it , see if i can live with it.
if i were to lower the tank about 1" it would be great , but its as low as im willing to go right now .
fuel supply is extended .. still need .
fuel return
breather
fuel pump power extended and sender wires extended
shock mounts for the passenger .
undercoating.

so im off to work on this ..

Last edited by RMA; 02-06-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar idea but I was going to have my filler in the back like the old camaros or stangs. I really like the idea and will stay tuned.

I do wonder why you didn't just cut some rubber gas line to make it match up with the stock filler
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CitrusTheDragon
I had a similar idea but I was going to have my filler in the back like the old camaros or stangs. I really like the idea and will stay tuned.

I do wonder why you didn't just cut some rubber gas line to make it match up with the stock filler
i really dont want to do body work and paint.. i mean the trucks scratched and stuff but cutting a hole is just something i didnt want to do .

Its kind of a long run and thought it was just better and safer using stainless .. and if i would have gone rubber i wouldnt have been able to finally use the spool of stainless wire ive had in my drawer for about a year now and it gives me some practice on stainless welding ..you see the pics i could use tons more practice

so i installed some nutserts to the under body so i can secure the tubing of fuel return and charcoal canister lines .
i was able to bend some old lexus fuel line to the right shape to be able to use as the fuel return and charcoal canister lines.Removed the tank again to weld a bracket to the stainless tubing for the fuel fill to secure that also .. thats all i got to do then my daughter needed help with her homework so i came in to help her then eat ..
hopefully i can get this done this week !!
need to bend the corner of the tank a little ..

Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

got the undercoating done .. nothing special just some rustoleum undercoating .
i need to get some clips or whatever there called .. to hold the steel tubing to the body. then i can install the tank for the fial time , i hope .

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
looks bad ass, robert. you could always look into getting the dual tank set up out of an f-150 as well would be a fun little mod, im sure!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

hows it going Micheal ? i see your getting ready to have a party , sas party .. good luck with that ..
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
haha its going pretty good! and yeah, getting there slowly but surely. my FJ62 axle is waiting patiently in my garage. Im ordering everything it needs this weekend ( axle rebuild kit from marlin, possibly 5.29 ring and pinion and an aussie locker ) gonna do a full tear down and rebuild.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

man im glad someones making the big bucks .. good luck bro !

Quick Reply: F-150 Fuel Tank into first gen 4runner