The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Driveline dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And we are looking for NEGATIVE caster, as in the lower bearing is ahead of the upper.

Generally, caster is the primary angle of importance up front since it has the biggest impact on drivability. Pinion being secondary.

I still won't believe they "can't" make a shaft to fit this application. I will accept they:
-can't make a dual CV shaft
-can't put enough slip in it since it is so short.

Low pinion single case is the WORST case scenario, especially with lots of lift.

And, as a public service announcement, dual CV shafts are not voodoo. There is a flange to flange relation requiring one or the other and there is a relation that is just crappy.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:11 PM

I have 4" spring TG SAS, single TCase and I'm running a Square shaft that I made out of my old IFS front shaft. The TCase end is an extremely clearanced IFS CV joint. Seems to be working fine to me.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4
I have 4" spring TG SAS, single TCase and I'm running a Square shaft that I made out of my old IFS front shaft. The TCase end is an extremely clearanced IFS CV joint. Seems to be working fine to me.
Did you angle your pinion to point at the tcase? If so, how does it drive on the street? Any death wobble?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Did you angle your pinion to point at the tcase? If so, how does it drive on the street? Any death wobble?
No. That would require alot of shim or knuckle rotating.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 PM

You guys are right, I did mean negative caster.And the caster will be afftected by rotating the perches, as they are stationary in the housing. But most chassis manuals and pros will agree that 3deg neg caster is acceptable for a street driven vehicle, maybe not the most ideal but acceptable. I performed this mod to my 82' front and the truck goes straight down the road and is predictable when manuvering. Pinion angle is secondary to proper caster, and my intent was to propose another way to solve a problem. Turning axle ends is a pretty serious job and should be performed by someone with proper tooling and experience. The perch mods are a little easier to do at home. What about the diamond housing?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:47 AM

Because the Diamond is built, you can set the caster and pinion separetely.

I would optimize caster before pinion, pinion is the issue here so with caster already optimized moving the perches will screw him.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mikevyota
You guys are right, I did mean negative caster.And the caster will be afftected by rotating the perches, as they are stationary in the housing. But most chassis manuals and pros will agree that 3deg neg caster is acceptable for a street driven vehicle, maybe not the most ideal but acceptable. I performed this mod to my 82' front and the truck goes straight down the road and is predictable when manuvering. Pinion angle is secondary to proper caster, and my intent was to propose another way to solve a problem. Turning axle ends is a pretty serious job and should be performed by someone with proper tooling and experience. The perch mods are a little easier to do at home. What about the diamond housing?
Ok, that makes more sense. Your other replies made it sound like you were saying cutting the perches won't affect caster.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM

i have the same problem single t case low pinion and lift,
what are we to do? id hate to put in a high pinion and have my drive line still wobble! how much to cut and turn? would a new housing b cheaper/easeir?