The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Dana 44 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really torn on this. I agree with points that both of you make. I do think that there are a lot of folks running around with SAS stars in their eyes who haven't even touched the abilities of their IFS. But, at the same time I understand cutting to the chase and SASing out of the gate instead of spending a zillion dollars along the way.

I went the gradual route, building the IFS up until it let me down, then building it up again. Five different lift combos in all. That's a lot of cast off parts. But, along the way, I learned at each stage what my rig was capable of and what it's weaknesses were. I also learned a lot about the rig by doing the work myself.

Once it became time to SAS, I knew pretty much every bolt in my suspension, so I had a pretty good understanding of what needed to change to accomodate the swap.

If I had it to do again, knowing what I know now, I would probably cut out the intermediate steps, but I am glad, for the most part, that I did it the way I did to get the knowledge I have.

My personal peeve is a bit of a tangent from the topic, but is related. It's folks who don't even come close to pushing their IFS and don't have a clue how the parts come together, but are going to pay a shop to do an SAS for them. I pity them when they are out with their newly SAS'd rig and something breaks. Odds are good they won't have any better understanding of the SA than they did the IFS, but it will get them a lot further in before it breaks. I worry when someone who couldn't change an IFS half shaft on their own, suddenly gets the SAS bug. I am not implying that everyone must do their own swap, even though I think that would be preferred, but you should at least have a really solid understanding of how it works before you make that step.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by WATRD
My personal peeve is a bit of a tangent from the topic, but is related. It's folks who don't even come close to pushing their IFS and don't have a clue how the parts come together, but are going to pay a shop to do an SAS for them. I pity them when they are out with their newly SAS'd rig and something breaks. Odds are good they won't have any better understanding of the SA than they did the IFS, but it will get them a lot further in before it breaks. I worry when someone who couldn't change an IFS half shaft on their own, suddenly gets the SAS bug. I am not implying that everyone must do their own swap, even though I think that would be preferred, but you should at least have a really solid understanding of how it works before you make that step.
I did fall guilty to part of this peeve. When I stated the Dana 60 project, I had S&N do all the axle disassembly, modification and reassemble. I don't have a clue how one of these things comes apart - but I honestly hope to never need to! I know the basics pretty well on all this stuff, but the inner workings of my existing axle - I have to defer to Markus if anything needs fixed!
Old 02-14-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Wow.....I think we seriously hijacked this thread, but I hope he's learning something in the process. Anyways, good posting guys. There's certainly not one "right" way to go about this, certainly there are plenty of unsafe wrong ways.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Wow.....I think we seriously hijacked this thread, but I hope he's learning something in the process. Anyways, good posting guys. There's certainly not one "right" way to go about this, certainly there are plenty of unsafe wrong ways.
Yeah, sorry bout that Ozfan. Even though it was a bit of a tangent, it still is related to your question - kinda
Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
...Odds are good they won't have any better understanding of the SA than they did the IFS, but it will get them a lot further in before it breaks. I worry when someone who couldn't change an IFS half shaft on their own, suddenly gets the SAS bug. I am not implying that everyone must do their own swap, even though I think that would be preferred, but you should at least have a really solid understanding of how it works before you make that step.
I feel much the same way. I am becoming more and more familiar with the IFS, but I am far more comfortable with the workings of the solid axle. I was reading the fourwheeling rags like Four Wheeler and Petersen's long before I even had a driver's license, and gained some general knowledge about drivetrain and suspension systems, among numerous other things.

I bought a set of 1-ton GM axles for my old GMC project, having researched the necessary equipment for running the larger tires (40") under a somewhat heavy fullsize truck (Sierra Classic 6.2 diesel) in all-around offroad situations, and deciding to build it as close to the right way that I could manage.
I tore into those axles, knew exactly what each part that I was looking at was called and what function it served, and I dissambled the units from a complete state to just the housings.
Even before I tore into my Ford HP-44, I pretty much exactly knew what I needed to modify or replace to make the axle work for a Tacoma solid axle swap.

I have read ever little tidbit of information on TTORA and other sites about what suspension, steering, and other setups will work best for my desired goal.

I was hellbent on buying a Fabtech bracket-style lift, some coilovers, and running 35s or larger on IFS. After adding up all the required basic parts, plus the added luxuries like heavy duty half-shafts and what-not else, into an Excel spreadsheet, I quickly realized that I was entering the price range of a somewhat basic SAS. I then remembered the axles that I had sitting around, restored and waiting for guts, and how much better they would handle 35" and larger tires. I am now convinced that with my D44 being free, and having a couple of fabricator friends who can make spring hangers and shackles etc., I may be able to spend the same amount or LESS and have a more capable and durable truck.

Anywho, those are my thoughts, however simple or (hopefully) complex they may be. I know what I am getting into, I am fully aware, but I also know what ends I seek and exactly what means I need to get there.

Good luck to all, regardless of their project or goal!

Last edited by AnotherTacoGuy; 02-17-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

Check this thread out that's currently being talked about on Pirate 4X4.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=224952