The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Criticize my winch mount idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 44Runner
Yeah.....LEARN TO WELD!

Seriously, "because it was done with a stick welder" is NOT an excuse for a crappy looking weld. If you are welding on suspension components you need to know what you are doing and by the looks of things, you don't.

Also do you have pics of this cross member from the side. It looks like those 2 pieces of plate are the only things holding the cross member on. I hope that is not the case. First sharp impact and that thing folds over. Cut that plate off and weld the cross member to the bottom of the frame.

The u-bolts leave me speachless. I mean I don't even know what to say. I don't have words to express that level of OMG/WTF. How are you even able to think to yourself, yeah, this is a good idea?

I have many friends that live up there in your town and I'd appreciated it if you wouldn't kill them...

</tough love>
Not tryin to be a dick but you can keep your "tough love" to yourself.

Did you read this thread or just look at the pics??
The ubolts have been addressed, your question about the front crossmember has been asked and answered.

Yeah my welds arent pretty but I never claimed they were.

Hey at least im tryin to learn and make my stuff right.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WFO
Not tryin to be a dick but you can keep your "tough love" to yourself.

Did you read this thread or just look at the pics??
The ubolts have been addressed, your question about the front crossmember has been asked and answered.
I read the entire thing, in horror...

Originally Posted by WFO
Yeah my welds arent pretty but I never claimed they were.
There is NO shame in being a crappy welder. Most people are. There is shame in trying to use those crappy skills on your vehicle.

Originally Posted by WFO
Hey at least im tryin to learn and make my stuff right.
And that's cool. Research and practice your technique BEFORE you go hackin away at a truck...
Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 PM

I picked up the winch (Warn 9.5Ti) from a buddy for $100. Just needed one $8 part.
Does he have another one he wants to sell? I would pay $150

every one is right about the U-bolt thing you need to address that before you drive it.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:26 PM

Children
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM

WHOA!!! Big Issues here!

If everyone that posts questions gets completely slaughtered like on "pirate" then they won't post at all......and then nothing on their rig will get fixed right and their skills may not improve.

It was a great catch on some users here to look past what was asked and see a real bad area elsewhere, warn the poster, and give good advice on how to correct the issue.

I have learned the hard way that there is a difference between advice and bashing / constructive criticism and wrecking someone.

I would rather hang out and wheel with someone who is trying, willing to turn their own wrenches, and we can learn from each other to broaden our skills, rig quality, and offroad experiences.

"Pirate" type mentalities just destroy......."Yotatech" type mentalities uplift and make things better!

I aspire to be the latter of the two......hopefully someday I will be more "Yotatech" than "Pirate".......hopefully we all will!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:13 PM

I have found that here on "YuppyTech" that many people know how to do something or know what will not work...... except they don't really know crap.

If you do what people say than you will never get anything done
Do what you want and don't let anyone tell you it can't be done... except for the ubolt that I am sure you already fixed
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Some might think I am harsh but think about it. If someone had not pointed out those ubolts that thing would have been on a public road. Roads where you, your friends and family all drive. People that don't know what they are doing have no business doing things like a SAS. I mean this guy doesn't even know how to weld. Not to mention he seems to be lacking in structural design. I don't want to get into a big debate here and maybe I should have kept my mouth shut but I had a hard time with what I saw. People that do this kind of thing IMO should not be encouraged to continue, but to stop what they are doing and go back and learn the basics. A SAS or anything having to do with suspension, especially if it is to be driven on public roads, should NOT be attempted until you are a competent fabricator.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Agreed fastkevman
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by hurley842002
Agreed fastkevman
Well that settles it. I'm an a-hole. Nothing I didn't already know.

I still think we should preach safety and not hand holding but evidently its just me with that mind set.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Agreed 44Runner
Old 03-20-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by hurley842002
Agreed 44Runner
LOL
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I realllly appreciate the original posters maturity in this thread despite the disrespect wonderfully displayed by some others.

He's already appreciated the fact that we have pointed out the mistakes he made w/ the SAS and agreed to address them. Continuing to badger him like he's a full-blown idiot is really unneccessary. No one here is perfect, not even you 44runner and im sure you've got some flaws on your rig.

You can give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism w/ out the attidude.

I've heard so many stories of "I took my truck to the mechanic, made it 5 miles and the engine siezed, they forgot to put oil in the motor" Master Mechanics Eff up to. Don't forget we're not working on Airplanes or Helicopters here. The attention to detail isnt nearly the same not even close. I doubt 44runner pre-checks his rig before he takes off in it on 'public roads'.

Keep on learning WFO, keep doing what your doing and keep getting better at what you do. Thats how all of us learned and most of us who have the most experience have learned the HARD way.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this turned out to me more drama than I excpected.

Sorry to stir up so much crap here.

But thanks for everyones help.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 PM

Good luck with your build-up, nice rig. Don't let the negativity discourage you from asking questions, thats the only way to learn, despite some negative feedback.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah.....LEARN TO WELD!

Seriously, "because it was done with a stick welder" is NOT an excuse for a crappy looking weld. If you are welding on suspension components you need to know what you are doing and by the looks of things, you don't.

Also do you have pics of this cross member from the side. It looks like those 2 pieces of plate are the only things holding the cross member on. I hope that is not the case. First sharp impact and that thing folds over. Cut that plate off and weld the cross member to the bottom of the frame.

The u-bolts leave me speachless. I mean I don't even know what to say. I don't have words to express that level of OMG/WTF. How are you even able to think to yourself, yeah, this is a good idea?

I have many friends that live up there in your town and I'd appreciated it if you wouldn't kill them...

</tough love>

dont hate, why dont u weld your lips shut and see if it holds
Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 PM

WFO - pay no attention to people being haters. Do whatever you think you need to. Yes you may have done wrong but thats how you learn man. I've helped with a couple of SAS and have never liked the way the round u-bolt fits on that side. I believe it is not "100% right" but it seems to work for everyone. It feels to me as if it is in a bind cuz the spring perch is not square to the housing. I know some people that have done some pretty flat dangerous stuff and got away with it. <-------not to be encouraged
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
dont hate, why dont u weld your lips shut and see if it holds
Clever dude, you think that up all by yourself? It appears you know as much about welding as the OP...

There is an ignore feature on this board. Feel free to use it on my user name. That way maybe I won't be subject to your little nuggets of wisdom in the future either.

I think its amazing that everyone would rather encourage somebody endangering them-self and others than risk hurting their feelings. It is to much to ask that someone have an inkling of what they are doing before they make MAJOR modifications to a vehicle that will see public roads?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
I realllly appreciate the original posters maturity in this thread despite the disrespect wonderfully displayed by some others.

He's already appreciated the fact that we have pointed out the mistakes he made w/ the SAS and agreed to address them. Continuing to badger him like he's a full-blown idiot is really unneccessary. No one here is perfect, not even you 44runner and im sure you've got some flaws on your rig.

You can give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism w/ out the attidude.

I've heard so many stories of "I took my truck to the mechanic, made it 5 miles and the engine siezed, they forgot to put oil in the motor" Master Mechanics Eff up to. Don't forget we're not working on Airplanes or Helicopters here. The attention to detail isnt nearly the same not even close. I doubt 44runner pre-checks his rig before he takes off in it on 'public roads'.

Keep on learning WFO, keep doing what your doing and keep getting better at what you do. Thats how all of us learned and most of us who have the most experience have learned the HARD way.
I agree with the first part of this post. I definitely am not perfect, no one is. I am 100% sure you can find flaws on my rig. Only difference is whatever you may find on my junk would in no way effect my safety or the safety of others around me.

The second part of your post I take issue with. Attention to detail should be of the utmost importance. While I certainly am not performing preflight checks I do know what things and should keep an eye on and maintenance things that need to be performed especially post SAS. Like ubolt torque for example. If the OP can't properly install a u-bolt, what do you think are the chances of him knowing how to properly maintain them? Which leads back to my main point, learn what you are doing BEFORE you go about doing it. A SAS is not an opportunity to learn/practice welding and fabrication. These are things you need to be proficient in before you begin.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the first part of this post. I definitely am not perfect, no one is. I am 100% sure you can find flaws on my rig. Only difference is whatever you may find on my junk would in no way effect my safety or the safety of others around me.

The second part of your post I take issue with. Attention to detail should be of the utmost importance. While I certainly am not performing preflight checks I do know what things and should keep an eye on and maintenance things that need to be performed especially post SAS. Like ubolt torque for example. If the OP can't properly install a u-bolt, what do you think are the chances of him knowing how to properly maintain them? Which leads back to my main point, learn what you are doing BEFORE you go about doing it. A SAS is not an opportunity to learn/practice welding and fabrication. These are things you need to be proficient in before you begin.

Very well said.....people around here dont take safety serious enough....Maybe this thread will help wake some people up call me an ass too if u want...i dont care....I'm just looking out for MY family that is driving down the same road as you
Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clever dude, you think that up all by yourself? It appears you know as much about welding as the OP...

There is an ignore feature on this board. Feel free to use it on my user name. That way maybe I won't be subject to your little nuggets of wisdom in the future either.

I think its amazing that everyone would rather encourage somebody endangering them-self and others than risk hurting their feelings. It is to much to ask that someone have an inkling of what they are doing before they make MAJOR modifications to a vehicle that will see public roads?

hey man, that u bolt thing was way unsafe i agree 100% should be fixed asap! but i think you come off as more of an ahole than good help! its ok to point out jimmyriiged stuff that can be dangerouse! you just dont have to be such a f@g about it! lol as of ignoring you lol its not hard we r on the net!
p.s my nuggets aint lil, lol

Quick Reply: Criticize my winch mount idea