The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

86 4runner buildup

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bummer...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:07 PM

and this thread will remain boring until i find an axle!!!! i hate when you have the money for something but you cant find it when you need it. and whne you didnt need it you found a ton of them!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
How is the bedliner holding up in the interior? My bumpers/sliders look like crap now as it has cracked and flaked off in the joint areas...pisses me off, so I'm going to blast that crap off and just rattle can the dang things.

Is your interior cracking and/or holding up to the getting in and out or are there spots where it is wearing already?

I was hoping to do the interior, but I've been doing some reading and folks say the DIY stuff just looks like crap and doesn't last up to daily in/out use.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:20 PM

ive only been in and out of it about 10 times...i never drive it! but it looks great, im pissed though, i went to kragens and the herculiner is on sale for 60 bucks and i lost my recipt!!!!!! i did find some rattlce can undercoating which i am planning on using for touching up some spots...
Old 02-27-2005, 06:22 PM

The solid axle swap is on its way!!! i got the axle last monday and ive been taking stuff off it and grinding it up and cleaning it...heres some before and afters....

after

i havent been cutting off the ifs yet because i need to get the hangers welded up, marlin is taking a LONG time to get it all ready, hopefully it will be done saturday so i cant get them and start ripping the ifs out with a SAWZALL AND ANGLEGRINDER ( ) since i can only get about 300 bucks a month to spend on this i think im going to get tires and wheels next (after i get the driveshafts all set up) and then lock and gear it...
Old 02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

wow this is really starting to come along... pretty fast too....
Old 03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axle looks good. It's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 PM

i found a 12V to 110 converter in my dads electronics box so im going to wire it into the runner. i dont want to use a socket and i want to wire it to the battery with a fuse and ground it to the frame. how do i know which wire to go to the battery? i have a volt meter i can use. (the side that plugs into the cig lighter is broken) also i bought a CB antenna from radio shack for my old CB radio. im just going to put everything in until i can afford the expensive stuff, and probbly fiberglass the CB radio into the lower dash. how to i get the antenna wire to the roof? i was thinking one of the rear windows, but they wouldnt be able to fully close and it would be easy for someone to pry it open. what is the best way to rout it where i will see the least amount of wire....? thanks
Old 03-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

for the wire, jsut drill a hole, or its a runner with a removeable top, just stick the wire through somewhere... might even snake it out the rear door
Old 03-03-2005, 06:53 PM

do any of you guys have pics?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:27 PM

cb is installed!!! took a while and had to chop allot if stuff up but in the end it looks way better than i thought it would! pics soon (camera died in the middle)
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 PM

alright, heres some pics of the install, so many problems occured, i could of had the cb stick out 2 inchs farther than the cd player, but im a perfectionist....

i couldnt get any after pics because the camera died....
Old 03-12-2005, 06:38 PM

picking up the SAS and knuckles rebuild kits on tuesday (my bday) more progress soon! my boss didnt even want to give me the day off , i just told him i wouldnt be in, i really need a new job!
Old 03-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

careful with needing a new job and telling your boss you wont be in...... sometimes they will make that a permanant day off......

also wow thats an old school cb radio... im about to put mine on my truck, pieced together from old stuff i have lying around....
Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 PM

yea its old, but it works and it was free so im not complaining. i know i cant find a new job, i dont care about getting fired, he acctually NEEDS me for a few more months, so thursday im asking for a raise, if he diesnt want to give me one im saying later if he does ill stay around a little while longer ....
Old 03-27-2005, 07:46 AM

i havent updated this thing for a while! right now i have the front hanger welded on and i have the axle completly rebuilt. that is one of the easiest things to do, it was pretty fun also. my dad is pissed because i got some greese on the GRAGE FLOOR

both of my buddies who have plasma cutters said they would help me out, but one blew a fuse(has to go buy a new one) and one is broken and getting fixed. whichever one gets fixed first im going and trying to bust out the sas and rear lift in a weekend.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 AM

and i replaced all the wheel studs. i bought them from toyota (regualr price 8 bucks a stud) since i have a buddy that works there i got them for 4 bucks each, still allot when they go for 2 bucks at all the stores!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
my dad is pissed because i got some greese on the GRAGE FLOOR
That's easy to fix. Once you are done with the build-up, just epoxy the garage floor for him ! It shouldn't cost you more than $75 - $100 to do a single garage bay. It would also be a nice "thank you" to your father for allowing you to use his garage.

Keep up the good work !

Steve
Old 03-31-2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lefty
That's easy to fix. Once you are done with the build-up, just epoxy the garage floor for him ! It shouldn't cost you more than $75 - $100 to do a single garage bay. It would also be a nice "thank you" to your father for allowing you to use his garage.

Keep up the good work !

Steve
ive already asked him to let me do it...he said no, im redoing the front yard for him though (i think thats worth more than some greese spots )
Old 04-06-2005, 03:28 PM

its moving very slowly! i have all the parts together, bought some rims and tires, and now i just need to get someone to weld up the hangers. the tires are 35x12.5 r 15 goodyear MTRs
i dont know where to put the spare, it only fits in the back laying down (i want to make a box to put allt he spare parts and tools)

Quick Reply: 86 4runner buildup