The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

3rd Gen fuel tank build-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen fuel tank build-up

Ok, I finally started on the mock-up of my soon-to-be relocated fuel tank, this is the first of many designs that I'll be testing out. My goal is to use as much space as possible, giving me the largest capacity without interfering with ground clearance.

I cut out the spare tire carrier crossmember and did a little trimming to my bumper mounts.

Once I get a design that looks promising, I'll use some wood to firmly brace it in place and then test it out at work. If everything goes well, a steel tub will be created and trail tested before the final design is finished.

The photo's attached will give you an idea on which direction I'm going with it....

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-02-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing to your thread as Dennis passes by.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Bruce
Nice mock up for a tank idea. I will watch how it turns out. Kind of a new guy here who does a lot more searchin than posting but would like to ask where you got your rear bumper? It rocks. Is that the factory plastic trim on it? I am just starting my project runner and that rear 2" hitch is huge and kills departure angle. So it must go. I have looked into the Soran Steel one and it looks good but not as finished looking as yours. Thanks for any ifo you can give me on this and good luck with the tank.
Eric
Old 07-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Eric, read this thread; https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-brucets-style-3rd-gen-4runner-rear-bumpers-55776/

then go here
Old 07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BruceTS

Hehe, you'll see my rear bumper on that website too.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Bruce
thanks for the info. I am learning the 4Runner side of things with my new project vehicle. By the time I had a reasonable understanding of what I could and could not get away with on my Taco it is now for sale. The build up is the fun though. Just kind of hard to explain/re-explain to my wife why I need to buy parts I told her I bought last month to fix a rubbing or breakage issue. I am getting a lot better at it though. The searching helps also.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:58 PM

I'm suscribing to this thread as well as this is a very goo idea for 3rd gen owners who are tired of dragging and denting their stock gas tank. Good idea BruceTS and I'm sure it'll look very nice when you get done.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:03 AM

Just out of curiosity did you check your tank to make sure it would clear at full compression on both sides? I looks like it would be fine, I was just curious. Also what do you plan on fabbing the tank out of, and are you going to make an additional skid plate for it?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:15 AM

I'm excited to see the finished product. I'm thinking of relocating my gas tank as well. Mine's already been modified to fit the leaf springs in the rear so it's smaller than it should be. How costly is this venture?
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

The first mock-up isn't no where near what the tank will eventually end up looking like, but a close approximation. I've already got a few changes in mind, but need the time to make the changes. Right now the deepest portion of the tank is 14", but this will change to the 10" range, so the stock fuelpump assembly will fit without any modifications. as for clearance, all it needs to be is level with the tube portion of the axle housing. In the photo's it's hard to tell since the duct tape holding it in place was drooping a bit.

I may end up using 3/16" for the bottom of the tank with 1/8" sides and top, that way I won't need to have a separate skid plate as well. I haven't worked on the volumes figures, but from the looks of things it'll be close to stock, if not a bit larger.

Cost haven't been calculated, since I don't have the metal to build the tank yet, but I do have a donor tank assy and other misc parts to make the switch easier.

Last edited by BruceTS; 07-15-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:48 PM

Any updates?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Got side tracked with doing some clean-up around my property and trying to get Lance's rig ready for the expo in October. If I have time, I'll be doing some testing this weekend. hopefully I'll be able to fabricate a actual test tank soon. I decided that stainless steel will be used on the final design.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Sweet. I'm sure it will look awesome. How do you think the stainless steel will hold up if you hit it against something?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

One thing to consider, the thick bottom will keep it from being dented, but because of where it is, if you ever end up getting hung up and putting weight on it, the sides may buckle. Might want to brace it internally or something. Also are you going to be doing any baffling in the tank?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Already have plans on an extensive baffling system, with one-way flaps, to slow down the fuel from shifting.

Having thinner side walls won't affect the integrity that much, mostly because of the way it'll handle the force of impact. Stainless is a bit softer, but there will be much less chance of corrosion.

I forgot to bring my mock-up with me on the Big Bear run, but I already have a few design changes in mind.

This weekend will be dedicated to rebuilding my front suspension, the accident I had bent the tabs for the adjusters, so I need to pull the lower control arm off to re-weld them back in place. I decided to add zerk fittings, so I might as well refresh all the bushing at the same time. If I get some extra time I'll start working on the tank.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Any progress on this Bruce?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry was busy with Lance's rig and now the holidays comming up... I have one too many projcets going on, but the final cardboard design is made, now I need to get the metal to build the tank. Work has been keeping me very busy so I haven't had time off during the week to get the supplies....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the update. Just wanted to inquire. I suppose I could have done that in a PM though. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Bruce,
any updates ? i would love to do this, from your cardboard moch up, it looks awesome, cant wait to see the finished product....
Old 01-17-2006, 10:59 AM

Bruce, you're killing us in anticipation of the final product.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen fuel tank build-up