Notices
Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts
Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Specifications & General Maintenance

Print Wikipost

The most complete 3rd Gen 4Runner lift kit ever offered: Featuring Tundra TRD coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinh
Steve-

Do you have any of these coils, new or used in "stock"? I really want to get the measurements off of one of these to see how different they are compared to what is under the newest 4runners and Tacos. If I can find the dimensions of the spring I will pull my front end apart and check the dimensions on mine. I loved the Tundra Springs on my 4runner and if I could somehow get 2" out of them on this new truck I would do it and call it a day, especially now that the OME shocks are out.

Justin
You might want to PM Andy (bamachem). If anybody has that info handy it would be him.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, i have a set in my garage now. new, never installed. what measurements do you want?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by bamachem
actually, i have a set in my garage now. new, never installed. what measurements do you want?
First off, thanks! Uncompressed length would be good and the number of coil wraps. I am trying to get the same measurements from some people with the new Tacomas (without having to take mine apart). I want to know if it is a possibility. I had posted several times months ago in the "old" thread but no one ever replied with any measurements so anything would be a good starting point. I loved the way those coils rode with the OME shocks on my 4runner.

Last edited by justinh; 05-08-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Then imagine how well TRD coils work with a TRD shock.......

And you don't have to worry about too much droop and ripping the cage out of the birf. Yes IFS axles have tiny weenie birfs.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Then imagine how well TRD coils work with a TRD shock.......

And you don't have to worry about too much droop and ripping the cage out of the birf. Yes IFS axles have tiny weenie birfs.
I have TRD coils and TRD shocks...it leaves a lot to be desired Granted, there seems to be a lot of ambiguity regarding what comes on the different models of the new trucks, for example, the TRD sport and TRD off-road have different coils. Apparently, the Sport's aren't progressive and the Off-Road's are. I will be interested to see what Bamachem replies with, I got the measurements from a TRD Sport Spring elsewhere, i think they are from a Double cab but I am double checking on that.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinh
I have TRD coils and TRD shocks...it leaves a lot to be desired
You have the stock ones. You have to mix and match to get anything good.

The TRD shock is just a shock, nothing special. It has valving that works well with the Tundra coil, just worked out that way, I doubt anyone ever planned it that way.

Steve
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 AM

You have the stock ones. You have to mix and match to get anything good.

The TRD shock is just a shock, nothing special. It has valving that works well with the Tundra coil, just worked out that way, I doubt anyone ever planned it that way.

Steve
The only thing that sucks is that I can't use old Tacoma shocks on my new junk Tacoma.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, this is really drifting way further into la la land than I would like.

Dollars to doughnuts, there is nothing wrong with the shocks you currently have. The coils are the problem.

The 1st Gen Tacoma TRD coils are crap, too stiff and you can't add a spacer lift, well you can but it won't do anything.

For some reason Tundra coils ride perfect on the smaller trucks, no rhyme or reason, just the way it is.

If you want spring specs, please start a thread about that. This is a vendor thread to sell complete lift kits.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:30 AM

Ok, this is really drifting way further into la la land than I would like.

Dollars to doughnuts, there is nothing wrong with the shocks you currently have. The coils are the problem.

The 1st Gen Tacoma TRD coils are crap, too stiff and you can't add a spacer lift, well you can but it won't do anything.

For some reason Tundra coils ride perfect on the smaller trucks, no rhyme or reason, just the way it is.

If you want spring specs, please start a thread about that. This is a vendor thread to sell complete lift kits.
Understandable, I will stop cluttering your thread. It would be nice if my factory Bilsteins worked out as well.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yes. This kit contains EVERYTHING you will need. The only thing you provide is the larger tires.

Depending on how large you go, you may need to re-gear and add a locker, but with the kit, the tires will fit and you will have no issues.

This is also the ONLY kit that besides lifting actually increases the vehicles ability off road.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

FJ Cruiser RULES !!!

I put the kits together when they are ordered, the Toyota parts are here the next day and then I build all the other items and dispatch Richard Stubbs to make and send you a track bar.

Also: Breaking News, we are on the verge of a NON-CORE trac bar completely built from scratch that will sell for the same $150.00 that the current stock end link bar sells for. If you have a core to send back, that is fine, if you paid a core charge you will get it back and yes you do need to send your stock bar back as those will be used in emergencies if a vendor can not supply us in a timely manner.

Also an FJ Cruiser trac bar is on the way and well as a full FJ Cruiser lift. Man I loved driving that thing last weekend on the trails at Tellico and will hook up with the FJ Trail Team here in Arizona next month.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 05-17-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 AM
Banned

nice.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 AM

What is the story with the FJ Trail team in AZ. I didn't see an AZ stop on the list.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

I guess the info is here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=92458

I'm gonna e-mail them and say from my FJ Trail Team experience last weekend in Tellico, Crown King would be one of the worst trails to do this on.

I think DeSoto would be alot better and in the same area.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 AM

Ya, from what I've heard recently, the Crown King trail has been pussified quite a bit. Desoto is always a fun trail with a little rocky creek action. Sounds good.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve;

I'm "thinking" about System 2 or 2.5 (probably 2) and have 2 questions...
  1. I'm currently running ATS upper arms in front. How will this affect the kit (your kit) in terms of off-road performance (stability, droop, handling, clearance, anything...)?

2. Can you compare/contrast how this setup is "better" than the old SAW/OME setups, _without_ saying "it's just better". I'm looking for a more technical understanding of this setup and why I'd spend $1k to pull out what I have.

Thanks man.

Last edited by midiwall; 05-24-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

The ATS arms won't matter one way or another. If you have them or don't have them it does not really matter.

What is it that you don't like about what you have? If I know that, then I could say if this would be better.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:37 AM

The ATS arms won't matter one way or another. If you have them or don't have them it does not really matter.
cool.

What is it that you don't like about what you have? If I know that, then I could say if this would be better.
Good question, and honestly, _I_ think I'm "fine" with what I have, but I'm VERY much still learning in all this, and will be for a while.

So, the process running through my head is more of "Years ago, Steve (and others) touted the joys of SAW/OME. I said 'okay', and that's what I did. Today, Steve (and others) are saying something else, and I'm curious what I would gain if I switched".

Does that make sense? Basically, for me it's a game of "follow the leader" when it comes to suspension. I don't know what could be around the corner.

It's interesting that you asked "what don't you like about what you have" 'cause I once started spouting about wanting to SA my rig, and a local Mentor told me that I shouldn't think about doing it until I can describe what I CAN'T do IFS. I can answer that now, but I dunno that I want to SAS. hmmm... or maybe I do.

Your question brings up the same feelings for me... I can certainly point to a couple of obstacles around here that I can't get through, but I don't know that swapping in a different spring/shock setup will help. I DO know that swapping in a SA would help.

Crap... maybe I take the money, stuff it in a mason jar, and save for a SAS.

argh. oh gawd. argh.

...it'd be cool though.

So... how's THAT for open babbling on a Thursday morning pre-caffeine?

thanks Steve
Old 05-25-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

I don't want to sell anyone something they don't need. Maybe you just need the DOM Rubicon Express Super Flex Joint links and the fixes to run the FZJ-80 shocks?

That is if you are happy with the height/lift your current rear coils give you.

"MY" Personal issues with the Sway-A-Way's was:

1. Coils were a smaller ID/OD than stock resulting in them having to use a stiffer spring rate. Resulting in a front end shock/coil combo that was stiffer than I cared for. Keep in mind I never used them as they were intended, high speed sand in Southern California.

2. The test of time. Parts would rip, tear or wear quickly and it was difficult to get replacement parts from Ryan and his voice mail. Also the fact you have to re-build them was sort of a "turn-off".

3. Aluminum corrodes, not the best choice for the rust or snow belt. I don't think snow testing was on the QA list for a high speed sand product.

4. They are the most expensive they have to be the best. The "best" hard core 3rd Gen wheelers all have them, If I want to be the best, I have to buy the most expensive stuff. Wrong - As I started traveling to these events and actually seeing these people wheel in person, it became pretty clear that just because you can type an entire page of words on something, doesn’t mean much.

5. Straight Axle Conversion: Extremely easy and cheap on 1986-1995, Extremely expensive and complex on 1996-2000, after that it gets even more complex. A Dana 44 with quality high straight U-Joints and Aftermarket Cro-Mo axles would be the Bee's Knees. Why go to all the trouble of putting a Dana 44 under a truck and then running 20 year old unhardened factory Dana axles. They did not harden them back then because they did not need to as the tire sizes 20 years ago where considerably smaller. Bottom line SA conversions are BIG MONEY. BIG BIG MONEY for a truck like yours. It can be done cheap, but then you will have things that don't work or don't work the same or not work at all. That's not the way I do things.

Go for the SA if you can justify the cost, if not think about what you don't like with what you have now.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 AM

{think} {think} {think}

Okay... I've thought myself out of the SAS, but it'll cross my mind again.

I think I've also thought myself out of ripping out what I have.

If I get into a zone where I'm out at least every-other weekend, I'll revisit the undercarriage, but it's fine as it is. I'm just not abusing what I have and I'm okay with having to take the bypasses once-in-a-while.

Thanks Steve.

Quick Reply: The most complete 3rd Gen 4Runner lift kit ever offered: Featuring Tundra TRD coils