Notices
Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts

LED Tail Lights for 3rd Gen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"LED FOR BRAKE AND PARKING LIGHTS" quote from the ebay listings (sorry, I didn't put the caps lock on, thats how they had it)

I understand one could just put in LED bulbs for the turns and reverse, but thats not the point. If you buy $200 LED tail lights why wouldn't they ALL be LED? Isn't the the point to buy these? If one was to buy LED bulbs for the turns and reverse, why not just keep the stock tails and buy LED bulbs for the brake lights too?

Sorry Texas_Ace if it sounds like I am arguing with you. I'm not not, but it might come off as that.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic
"LED FOR BRAKE AND PARKING LIGHTS" quote from the ebay listings (sorry, I didn't put the caps lock on, thats how they had it)

I understand one could just put in LED bulbs for the turns and reverse, but thats not the point. If you buy $200 LED tail lights why wouldn't they ALL be LED? Isn't the the point to buy these? If one was to buy LED bulbs for the turns and reverse, why not just keep the stock tails and buy LED bulbs for the brake lights too?

Sorry Texas_Ace if it sounds like I am arguing with you. I'm not not, but it might come off as that.
The reason for this is most likely because the turn signals would require a resistor to be wired (in parallel I believe) thus making it to much hassle for the manufacturer.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
The reason for this is most likely because the turn signals would require a resistor to be wired (in parallel I believe) thus making it to much hassle for the manufacturer.
Yes, I know that. A friend of mine did it with his Evo and it wasn't all that hard. I just think that the company would do that for the customers already...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM

These are made to be like the LED tail lights for the 06-08 4Runner's. The new 4Runner's don't have LED's for the backup or turn signal lights either.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
These are made to be like the LED tail lights for the 06-08 4Runner's. The new 4Runner's don't have LED's for the backup or turn signal lights either.
It seems all Japanese manufacturers are against using LED turn signals, believe me, it's not big deal to put the resistor in. The European car companies really like the LED turn signal, plus it makes the car look much cleaner. I really like the idea of having LED tailights on the 4Runner, if you get these please post pics, I hope they're not too noticeable from the stock setup when the lights are off.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Wiring the resistor to the turn signals is easy. It took me all of 15mins to do all 4 of mine. And as said that is most likly why they don't include it from the factory.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM

From the picture, it looks good... but dim. Those deflectors better have a way to project light laterally as well as directly behind.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM

I also would be interested to see how these light look in real life. Anyone bought them yet?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:44 AM

When I get them in a week or two I'll post some pics.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Them be some sweet tail lights! I'm gettin' some too!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM

The 01-02 tailights fit the 96-98 correct?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TerraRunner
The 01-02 tailights fit the 96-98 correct?
Yup, they'll fit.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:33 PM

yessss

Hi,
Thanks for the info on this.. I too have ordered it... its a bit pricey, but a nice upgrade.. I was a bit jealous seeing all the new runner having LED brake lights... I'm just glad this one looks exactly like OEM. I should be getting them within the week.. I'll post up some pics once i get them installed... stupid question.. our 3rd brake light, is it led? I don't believe so, but it could be my eye's...if not, i sort of want to complete the look.. any suggestion? I belive the bulb is 921.. wondering if anything out there to give it a straight line look.

Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

I just put an LED bulb in it, it works great and is not only brighter but lights up quicker.

I actually replaced everylight in my truck with LED's, and could not be happier. Now i just need to rip apart the dash and get all of those changed...
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM

I've got LED brake light bulbs, they really didn't impress me all that much. Hopefully in a day or two I can order these tail lights!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

I've got LED brake light bulbs, they really didn't impress me all that much. Hopefully in a day or two I can order these tail lights!
Yeah, it totally depends on the type of LED you got. I tried some they were cheap and they were not good at all. But then i paid the $$$ and got some nice ones and they are nice and bright.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yeah, it totally depends on the type of LED you got. I tried some they were cheap and they were not good at all. But then i paid the $$$ and got some nice ones and they are nice and bright.
Dude I have seen you ride and you have more lights than an airport on that rig. Anyone ever flash their high beams at you and you blow them up with ALL your lights?

Last edited by sdstud212001; 10-24-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
Due I have seen you ride and you have more lights than an airport on that rig. Anyone ever flash their high beams at you and you blow them up with ALL your lights?
My lawyer has said i should not disclose that info...lol

But then i don't listen to him about anything else either. Actually there will be another 6 - 8 lights mouted on top when i get the time and $$ (oh and the blue lights are gone now). I have some lights bars that i will be able to take off at will for off-roading. and later all my lights except for the 2 outside hellas on the front will be converted to 50w HID.

As for lighting someone up, uh, yeah. I was on a trip to Oklahoma a few months back and going down the backroad i have my highbeams on but i turn them off when osmeone else came along. Well this guy is at least a mile off and comes over a hill it take me a few seconds to long to turn my high beams off so he decides to flip him on and leave them that way for the next 15 secs or so. Well i live with it and when we are not that far away i hit him full force with ALL my lights (the blues one were there then too) about a total of ~1000 watts of lights and my HID high beams. Well it scared him becuse he jercked his car as soon as i did it. I turned it off real quick but i think he learned a lesson... DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 10-24-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Where'd you get your LED's at? Both of my brake lights were $25 a piece, so they are pricy, but they don't impress me.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Where'd you get your LED's at? Both of my brake lights were $25 a piece, so they are pricy, but they don't impress me.
I got mine from V-leds.com (i think) it was a brand new design they had come out with when i bought them. they claimed big improvments and i have to say that they delivered. I was looking not to long ago and i think they released another version that is supposed to be better still.

Mine have 25+ leds in the bulb and they are nice and bright but also shin in every direction.

Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights for 3rd Gen!!!