Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yukon Grizzly Locker

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i installed the v6 locker in the front of the truck, but because i didnt have the 4.88's for the rear i have not been able to test it out. My rear gears, and matching v6 yukon locker got finished being setup today. Hopefully i will have most of it back together tonight, i have a wheel cylinder that is leaking, i think i might have a spare. So i should be able to at least give some street driving impressions very soon. here is a picture of the locker. I swear thats not a cell phone picture, i have no idea why its fuzzy, must have been the lighting in the shop.

Last edited by skunkwhat; 03-26-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet I'm excited I can't wait
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM

The local guy i have been getting all my stuff through is really trying to get people into these. Maybe he just makes more money on these than detroit. He seems very confident that thses are well built.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 AM

I will be goin for a drive with the yukon today, probably no wheeling, because of the brand new gears
Old 03-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
From what ive heard, they are a bit smoother then the traditional autolockers, but still click and clunk..
Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 PM

For the most part i have not even noticed a difference in driveability with the yukon in the back. I have been driving easy to break in the new gears. Operation, as said above is pretty smooth, but if you really listen you will hear it click, not real loud, and definatley no loud popping or banging. I have a flowmaster muffler so if a person had stock exhaust they might hear it a bit more.

The only time the locker seems more noticeable than the stock diff is when making very sharp, and very low speed turns, where you can hear the tire kind of break free from the pavement, but no chirping of the tire, or squeeling. And really for me to even notice, i have to have my head out the window looking at the tire while backing up, with the tires cranked one way.

So far everything seems to be good. I did drive around on some gravel roads, and just kind of creep over a couple things, nothing major, but it was raining,muddy, and gravel was present. I would just put it in 2 low, and let it kind of idle up a couple little spots, both tires turned as expected, and there was never any signs to me of engagment or disengagement of the locker, operation seemed smooth. I didnt even notice the clicking until i got back home and was backing into the drive way with my window down. I will put more miles on it tomorrow, and see if anything changes.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Come on, tell us more.
We need more info than that, come on.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM

the only other thing is some slop in the drivetrain now. i called yukon, ans they said up to a half of driveshaft turn, before engagement is perfectly normal. I think i am getting about a quarter turn before engagement, nothing to major.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 AM

I have a 91 4runner, Whats the cheapest best rear locker for daily driving and where can I buy one ? And lastly where can I buy the old stock manual front hubs ?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 91MONSTER
I have a 91 4runner, Whats the cheapest best rear locker for daily driving and where can I buy one ? And lastly where can I buy the old stock manual front hubs ?
Most people start a new thread.
Cheapest and best are normally two different things.
Aussie and lockrite are around $250.
Marlin has hubs for $314 http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/fr...l-hub-assembly
Trailgear has hubs for $199 http://www.trail-gear.com/hubs-and-drive-flanges

If you are willing to modify your housing, mechanically inclined, take the time to look in junk yards or find it http://www.car-parts.com and are willing to wait for a cheap one you can use a tacoma elocker. You can have a nice selectable locker for not much more than a Aussie.

Hubs are also a lot cheaper used.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 AM

I think I have an 82 toy p/u axle with 86+ IFS front hubs, if I am using an IFS hub do I need the IFS manual lockers?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by whokrz
Most people start a new thread.
Cheapest and best are normally two different things.
Aussie and lockrite are around $250.
Marlin has hubs for $314 http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/fr...l-hub-assembly
Trailgear has hubs for $199 http://www.trail-gear.com/hubs-and-drive-flanges

If you are willing to modify your housing, mechanically inclined, take the time to look in junk yards or find it http://www.car-parts.com and are willing to wait for a cheap one you can use a tacoma elocker. You can have a nice selectable locker for not much more than a Aussie.

Hubs are also a lot cheaper used.

What he said. lol

i was unware that ifs hubs would go onto solid axles, due to the difference in axle spines. I would probably take the hub off and count the splines. if you have solid axle you you would have to get a solid axle diff/rear diff. Solid axle/rear diff is considered 8" ifs is 7.5" Other than that i really dont know what to tell you, sorry.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 AM

The installation for the yukon grizzly is covered as well as the pros and cons in the may/june issue of 4wd toyota owner magazine.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Do they make one for the Tacoma/T100 rear? I didn't see it listed, unless you can use the same carrier as the V6 8".
Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 AM

Ok I just ordered my manual lockers from trail-gear.. my question is the 7.5 IFS Diff, is the for just the front..or the front and back?
My dad has an 06 Taco, would the taco and my 4runner have the same rear ends(8")
Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 91MONSTER
Ok I just ordered my manual lockers from trail-gear.. my question is the 7.5 IFS Diff, is the for just the front..or the front and back?
My dad has an 06 Taco, would the taco and my 4runner have the same rear ends(8")
The 7.5" is front only in the IFS 4wd rigs, the rears had 8".

The Tacoma is a different rear than your 4runner, unless your dad has the e-locker rear, I believe.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Ok so there is NO Yukon Grizzly locker for a Tacoma/T100 rear yet, according to my local gear shop... "it's on the drawing board".
Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM

nice, thanks man.. What is involved in installing the wiring portion of the e-locker
Old 07-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Just do a search for wiring on the e-locker, lots of people have done it, I have not since I have Detroit and LockRight lockers. Some people make their own harness, or you can buy a pre-made one from some off-road places.

That said, I bought a Detroit for the T100 because they don't make a Grizzly for that diff yet.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 PM

Maybe you guys should start your own thread. Its free, and im sure everyone would appreciate looking at a thread where the title was somewhat related to the posts within the thread. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Yukon Grizzly Locker