Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Winch/Cable/Length/Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Winch/Cable/Length/Battery?

Doing some web wheeling since the truck is down, which means I now have a winch and cable. This got me to thinking about wanting versus needing extra length versus the convenience of being a little short.

What winch have you got?

What kind of cable and how much of it is on the spool? Ever feel like you want more?

What battery or batteries are you using to power it? I have a regular Optima Red Top and am considering duals or a Yellow top. Anyone run the battery dead yanking yourself and others around?

I have an XP9500 with 100' of 3/8's Rockstomper synthetic.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Adrian, I have the Warn XD9000 winch.

As soon as I got it, I put up the stock wire cable on 4x4 Wire (YotaTech was not born yet) and sold it the same day to Paul Elbisser.

I have about 100' of Masterpull's synthetic line.
I think it is 5/8" thickness or 3/8", I can't remember.

Using a Les Schwab Red Top clone of an Optima, and have operated the winch with the engine off, and had no trouble with it.

If you are interested in keeping punks from "operating" your winch when you are not around, see the Warn Power Interrupt write-up from the Tech section.

It's a great piece of mind to keep someone from turning on your winch when you are not there.
I have heard stories of punks taking out the winch line and running it over the roof back to the trailer hitch.
They then turn on the winch, thus caving your rigs roof in :cry:
Old 07-01-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey

It's a great piece of mind to keep someone from turning on your winch when you are not there.
I have heard stories of punks taking out the winch line and running it over the roof back to the trailer hitch.
They then turn on the winch, thus caving your rigs roof in :cry:
Corey,
Wow! I never even entertained the idea that someone would do such a thing. Have you actually heard of an instance where this has happened? Scary. I am going to get the power interupt set up for sure.

Adrian,
I am running the Ward XD9000i winch with an Optima red top. I too have used the winch with the engine off with no problems. However, I am still running the 125' of cable it came with (haven't felt the need for a longer one). It's already frayed pretty bad. Probably time to upgrade to synthetic.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have only heard stories from other forums.
I won't go into detail how they do it, but it only takes 2 seconds, and they do not need to have your wired remote to do it.

It is scary, scary enough that I ordered the unit from my local Central 4WD shop.

Very easy to hook up, much like a set of off road lamps, only easier.

I also dig the wireless remote control unit I put on too.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Doing some web wheeling since the truck is down, which means I now have a winch and cable. This got me to thinking about wanting versus needing extra length versus the convenience of being a little short.

What winch have you got?

What kind of cable and how much of it is on the spool? Ever feel like you want more?

What battery or batteries are you using to power it? I have a regular Optima Red Top and am considering duals or a Yellow top. Anyone run the battery dead yanking yourself and others around?

I have an XP9500 with 100' of 3/8's Rockstomper synthetic.
1. Warn 9.5XP
2. Amsteel Blue 3/8inch 100foot.
3. Yellow Top

I've only had it on the rig for a couple of weeks. It might see some use this Monday. I'll let you know.

Mike
Old 07-01-2004, 11:42 PM

ask scott to cut your rope into 2. winches work better with less wire around the drum.

when you need to, just attach the extension.

i had wacky winch sessions with a single optima.

remember to let the winch cool down. as much as possible run the engine to keep power going to the batt and the winch. of course if the vehicle cant start, the batt should get you out.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 AM

I found a good 20 year old used W8274, and replaced the old cable w/ 150' of 5/16" synthetic winch rope from Rockstomper. I'd never consider running a steel cable line again after handling the synthetic rope- no gloves, no hassle winding it back in either. Best of all, I finally got to see a synthetic rope brake at the Hammer's- no recoil at all. It broke and just dropped pretty much straight down.

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

Still trying to decide what to do for batteries. Definately gonna run duals at some point tho. I've been keeping track of two other posts on the subject.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...w=collapsed&sb

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199033

later
Old 07-02-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys.

The winch and cable are on site. Still waiting for the truck and thinking about another battery. Rarely are pulls lengthy and at full pull since there are more wraps on the drum.

I figured the 100' barrier should be good since the drum can handle 125' of steel stock.

After spending Memorial Day in Moab, I was sold on synthetic cable. I had gloves, but knowing Schaefer's cable would not kill me or slice my fingers off was good piece of mind. Hunt made me nervous.