Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what lift is good for rocks? 84 4x4 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what lift is good for rocks? 84 4x4 pickup

just bought a 84 pickup and looking for good lift that will supply ne with a good suspension travil for rock crawling. i want to run 35s or 37 on it. any advise. im thinking this will be a $4k project. wheels tires and the lift with gears.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
first off..i would SEARCH!!!! theres hundreds of threads covering this!!!..check out all pro offroad, marlin crawler < GREAT GUYS!, or trail-gear...all have great suspension setups..specifically made for rock crawling...make sure to get LOADS of pics of your rig and post em up..we all love pics!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Camo31 is right, we do love pics...oh and about the search thing too
Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Well azmauibuilt,
If you are planning on being in the rocks then you don't want a massive ammount of lift...
Lift equals a higher center of gravity which will lead to flops or rollovers easier.

What most people will recommend is to trim you fenders along with a smaller lift so you can run big tires without all the necessary height.

(That is just what everyone will tell you)

I myself went with a 4" sas kit and im running 36"s.. I love the height it is at, its not too tall and not too short, but that is just my preference..

BTW welcome to yotatech!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azmauibuilt
just bought a 84 pickup and looking for good lift that will supply ne with a good suspension travil for rock crawling. i want to run 35s or 37 on it. any advise. im thinking this will be a $4k project. wheels tires and the lift with gears.
yup yup TG, MC or AP good travel kits stay low as you can and trim lots with your sawzall,hammer, and grinder.

While a Lift kit on rocks will keep you balanced and your tires on the ground but...you'll also need lockers F/R, chromoly inner shafts/hub gears/ & steering arms, and regearing of you diff and t-case duals help, other wise and I have tried it you'll get smoked clutches while burning rubber on rock pretty much getting denied if you try to rock crawl with open diffs, lifted on stock gears with oversized tires.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
While a Lift kit on rocks will keep you balanced and your tires on the ground but...you'll also need lockers F/R, chromoly inner shafts/hub gears/ & steering arms, and regearing of you diff and t-case duals help, other wise and I have tried it you'll get smoked clutches while burning rubber on rock pretty much getting denied if you try to rock crawl with open diffs, lifted on stock gears with oversized tires.
X2 - lift has the lowest "bang for the buck" in offroad capabililty increase of just about any mod.

Note that you will need to go high steer when you do a lift to hold up to 37's.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I knew better and could do it over again

Now that i have spent way too much money building my rig and still dont have it as capapble as I would like I would build my rock crawler like this:

37"+ Super swampers irok with stauns Bead lock
5.29's spool rear, HP ARB or E-lock front cryo'd
dual t-case 4.7 kit twin sticked
home made body armor,bumper, sliders, diff armor, axle trussing, roll cage, trimmed front fenders and beaten/cut pinch weld
30 spline bobby longs
bobby chromo hubs
IFS rear with chromo rear shafts
RUF home made leaf pack swap with front drop hanger repinned to move axle forward
63" chevy rear longer shackles instead of blocks
hydro high steer
and some shocks that dont limit travel and are super stiff

ha did i spend you 4g's yet and there is more mods but thats the important stuff

GL post some pics of your build