Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can a stock 4Runner do "Offroading" wise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
When you lift it go with an add-a-leaf and crank the torsion bars a little. It will handle like a go-kart.
Wow, you must drive one crappy go-kart
Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like where you are sitting brother. The joy of the unknown. I remember those days. Stock yotas can do alot...meaning they will be able to take you anywhere you would want to go on the east coast( for the most part) obviously, you would have to pick the most conservative lines on the trails in VA, but I would say the only trail run in VA that I wouldnt do stock is the stacks down by roanoke. I lived in VA for 5 years, have been wheeling out in colorado for one summer(when it was still completely bone stock. One of the greatest things that I ever did for myself and my driving ability was go wheeling with other people who know toyotas or offroading. they will be able to help you so much with the knowledge of your rig. Also, like everyone else has said, start off easy. Always carry ( or keep in your truck for the matter the essentials... ie. MAPS of wherever you are going, big jug of water, little bit of food, a light ( LED HEADLAMPS ARE A GODSEND) any other necessities you might think of. A very good trail in Virginia to learn on is Shoe Creek Rd. Near Montebello, Virginia. Take a weekend camping out there and putz around, there is plenty of side trails out there that all dead and lead back to the one main trail that you cant get lost. When in doubt take the easy route, after a while you wil begin to feel the truck out and get a sense of its capabilities. that 4runner can do a lot, meaning it can take you to where you intend to go with the reassurance that parts aren't just going to come flying apart and or start breaking unless you do something totally gnarly with it. Tires I would go with 31x10.5 I have them and they are just fine. Unless you are doing it for looks then go big but i dont see any sense in it. If I could, I would get some 33x9.5's. The wider you go the more your steering components are going to cry. Also You dont have to buy brand new things, I found a pair of rust bucket auxillary lights, a little bit of time and elbow grease and they are just like new. I have used them hundreds of times both on the trail and on the job timber framing. Wow I will stop this long but of nonsense , but the one last thing i will say is... Look at TC's bottom bar and read her quote "Stop with the mods and get on the trail!" Read the hell out of yotatech threads and listen to the old dawgs like her and all the other yotatechers and you will enjoy the hell out of that thing!!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsenpa
Look at TC's bottom bar and read her quote "Stop with the mods and get on the trail!" Read the hell out of yotatech threads and listen to the old dawgs like her and all the other yotatechers and you will enjoy the hell out of that thing!!!!!
First, I'm a "he"

Second, I'm not THAT old!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea dude...my yota when it was stock did good...learning is the best...i had an experienced co pilot tho so when i really got stuck he always found a way to get out(when we were alone...but for sure you should always have another truck when wheelin. and please...let other people try stuff first so you can see how they did or why they didnt do it!!!