Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to know about having an ARB rear locker installed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to know about having an ARB rear locker installed?

I did search. I've spent the last 3 hours reading. But I just want to make sure I cover everything, so I'm asking specific questions.

First of all, I'm a father of a 1 year old boy that I watch all morning, then I work evenings when my wife gets home. I get home at midnight from work and wake up at 6am with my son, 6 days a week... So I really don't have time to wrench.

Second, I'm OK with admitting that gears are something that's probably beyond my skills. About the biggest project I've tackled myself was longtube headers on an LT1 Camaro. I want this to be something that I have complete faith in... so I'm leaving it to the pros.

I have an '85 SFA 22R pickup. It's not a daily driver... but it will see about 80% street use and 20% fun use. I would like it to be capable of getting me through muddy rutted up trails. Rock crawling = highly unlikely. After all the searching and reading... I think I've settled on an ARB rear locker.

1. Where are you guys mounting the compressor on a pickup? I'd LIKE to avoid mounting it in the bed if I can, as I want to keep it clean looking

2. How much should I expect to pay for the install?

3. I don't ever plan on getting serious enough to install beadlocks or get into anything that requires really airing down the tires. Do I need a tank?

4. Pictures of your setups would be greatly appreciated.

5. For your time, I present a picture of my truck stuck the day after I got it.

Name:  stuck04.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  89.8 KB

Last edited by DetroitStyle; 11-07-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
$850 or so for your ARB
$250-450 install depending on the area of the country
You want someone who knows what they are doing for an ARB, not just any old gearhead.

Done right they are awesome. Done wrong it will be a PITA until fixed.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
5. For your time, I present a picture of my truck stuck the day after I got it.

Airport wheelin...I like it.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 - I have my compressor installed behind the passenger seat in the cab. Keeps it clean, with clean air, and out of harms way. I have an old school compressor and its pretty small so it fits between the "hump" and the wall the speaker is in. this also give me good access to run the air line through a pre existing hole in the back of the cab corner and up to my compressor. No new holes = no new rust.

2 - I installed mine myself so I'm not sure on the cost. Someone who has done a few before could probally get it done quite fast. Depending on your comfort level, you could pull the third out, bring it to your mechanic of choice and have them do the carrier swap, backlash setup ect, then you bring it home and re-install. Saving you money and you gain experience.
I'm going to suggest that you do the compressor install and wiring your self, that way you know how its all put together and once again saving $$. Assuming you have time of course.

3 - My old school compressor has a small built in tank that holds enough for my lockers to be switched on and off 2-3 times. I'm not sure about the new comp. but a quick internet search will show you. But, no, you do not need an air tank.

4 - I don't have any pics of how mine are set up. Wiring these is quite simple. You can even buy a wiring harness for them if you want to plug and play. My lockers included detailed directions on how to wire it up. No issues there. I suggest covering the air line with something as a form of protection. I had a coil of steel braided hose I found at the dump and used that. If you get a hole in the air line...you have a very expensive open diff.

5 - yup, your truck is definatly stuck...

Hope that helps!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the input!