Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove doors for off-roading

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a way around the legality/illegality of having no tub lip to catch things: don't put any loose items in the cab to fall out in the first place. Once you roll once or twice (like I have) you really don't want anything in the people compartment anyway. Can't get hit in the head by something if it ain't there in the first place
Old 08-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toy283
I run them off all the time on the trail. Had them off yesterday in fact I usually try to drive with them in place up to the trail then remove them if I have a place to store them. Yesterday it was in the bed of a Tacoma on the run. Sometimes, if it's really warm and they say no rain, I may drive up to the trail without them but this is rare.

Quick-release door hinges are the only way to go if you want removable doors. Takes about 15 seconds to remove one and maybe 30 seconds to put it back. All you do is remove the hinge cut and remove the hinge pin and replace it with a hinge pin like this one:

As far as structural integrity, the door frame isn't gonna help out the roof at all, it's much too thin and fragile. The body of the door does help in the event of a head-on collision and that's why I usually leave them on when on the highway.

Toy,

How the Hell do you get your doors on in 30 seconds? I tried for about 15 minutes and could not get the bottom pin seated all the way.

Thanks!

Splitz
Old 09-06-2004, 10:52 AM

i had my doors off at EC4RJ, i loved it, easy in and out, and you can see everything, when i got home i modified the factory hinges so that the doors can be removed real easy, all i did was remove the door, and cut the top hole on the door side of the hinge all the way to the top of the hinge so its now a groove instead of a hole, so all that is needed to remove it is to loosen the top 2 bolts holding the door on and lift the door off, and i only use 1 bolt in each hinge, whoever said it takes 15 sec to take it off and like 30 sec to put it on is right, its really easy and quick

turner
Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by TURNER
i had my doors off at EC4RJ, i loved it, easy in and out, and you can see everything, when i got home i modified the factory hinges so that the doors can be removed real easy, all i did was remove the door, and cut the top hole on the door side of the hinge all the way to the top of the hinge so its now a groove instead of a hole, so all that is needed to remove it is to loosen the top 2 bolts holding the door on and lift the door off, and i only use 1 bolt in each hinge, whoever said it takes 15 sec to take it off and like 30 sec to put it on is right, its really easy and quick

turner
That's how I do it. In fact, didn't I show you and Ace that trick at EC4RJ ? A Gear Wrench makes loosening/tightening the bolts even quicker and easier.

As for the door electronics, I use 4 wire trailer connectors for quick disconnects.

Broderick
Old 09-08-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by fourwd1
That's how I do it. In fact, didn't I show you and Ace that trick at EC4RJ ? A Gear Wrench makes loosening/tightening the bolts even quicker and easier.

As for the door electronics, I use 4 wire trailer connectors for quick disconnects.

Broderick
you probly did tell me that, i thought that i came up with it but to be honest i was hammered/hungover all weekend so theres about a 99% chance that you did tell me and i just forgot that it was your idea, either way, thanks for the idea, it worked great and the doors come off with ease

turner
Old 09-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by splitz
Toy,

How the Hell do you get your doors on in 30 seconds? I tried for about 15 minutes and could not get the bottom pin seated all the way.

Thanks!

Splitz
Sounds like you may have something out of alignment.