Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning to get LOCKED

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know you can get an aussie locker for about $200 and throw it in the rear yourself. A lot of people use that type of locker for dd use, you just have to get used to it. The only reason I don't go for it is because I occasionally (once a year ) go to the snow. Otherwise I'd go for it.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not fond about an automatic locker.

I know it's much less cheaper but I wouldn't want to go with it.

I'm either going ARB or nothing, bottom line.

Yukon's ride in any here who is "in the know."
That didn't make a bit of sense to me; did it to you?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flygtenstein
Yukon's ride in any here who is "in the know."
Translated: Yukon is good.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
Translated: Yukon is good.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 PM

Steve, Steve and Jeff have them.

I meant they are also good.

At the time I was typing, I was considering something that appealed more to the notion that Yukon's are used by some who have "big" names here.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:56 PM

During lunch today, I took a 30 mile drive to an off-road center that is popular among the AZ TTORA members (4-WHEELERS SUPPLY AND OFF ROAD) and I talked to one of the sales rep for a while about the ARB lockers.

He swore to me, who is by the way a TOY owner, that I don't need a different complete third member. He said that I can throw in the locker in the gears I currently have. Well after debating with him for a few minutes, he convinced me.

Well, he qouted me an exact price of $1325.88 for the rear locker complete with installation and additional cost, such as gear oil, oil waste, shop supplies, air compressor, etc...

There are a few other shops that I'm going to go take a look at in the next week to compare prices, but I guess it's not bad.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:20 PM

Well, I have the quote invoice scanned, but I can't get a server to host for me and it's bigger than 50K.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:17 PM

That is a decent price for a drive in and drive out install with compressor install. That is around $800 in parts so 5 bills of labor is so so, probably 6 hours of shop time.

Post how this ends up if you do it. This goes against anything that I know and against what most others who I regard as knowing know.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Would you consider saving some money by buying the compressor yourself, running the hoses and such? I know some guys use a different compressor altogether, it doesn't *have* to be an ARB compressor, right? Unless he was giving a deal on getting the whole package done, I'd check what he'd be willing to eliminate for just the install of the locker.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Would you consider saving some money by buying the compressor yourself, running the hoses and such? I know some guys use a different compressor altogether, it doesn't *have* to be an ARB compressor, right? Unless he was giving a deal on getting the whole package done, I'd check what he'd be willing to eliminate for just the install of the locker.
When it comes to mechanicism on engines, a rock has greater chance of doing the job than I would.

I have no experience aside from changing my own oil, so going in there and installing it myself seems almost impossible.

A write up might help but I'll run into something that I'll have questions on and when this happens, it's not good -

Another thing was that he told me I could save $175 if I unplug the third member and take it to them to have the locker installed, then I'd just have to plug it back in, but again, we get into the same situation.

That is a decent price for a drive in and drive out install with compressor install. That is around $800 in parts so 5 bills of labor is so so, probably 6 hours of shop time.

Post how this ends up if you do it. This goes against anything that I know and against what most others who I regard as knowing know.
Should I be leery of having the ARB locker installed on stock gears??

Last edited by KING; 01-29-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:59 PM

Since I can't get the invoice up, I'll sum up what's on it.

'94 TOYOTA P/U 4X4, V6

1 - ARB RD23 ----- LOCKER TOYOTA: 629.08
1 - ARB RDCK ----- COMPRESSOR KIT: 188.98
1 - 998 LAB ----- LABOR CHARGES: 250.00
1 - FWS LAB ----- SHOP SUPPLIES: 10.00
1 - FWS WASTE -- HAZARDOUS WASTE: 5.00
3 - FWS 140WT -- GEAR OIL: 11.94
1 - SAG 35-2041 -- BRG KIT TOY: 107.98
1 - ARB HDAL ------ H/D LINE KIT 42.28

TAX ---------- 80.62

TOTAL: 1325.88

Last edited by KING; 01-29-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

King,

I bet if you organized a wrenchathon, there'd be several guys in the AZ area that would be willing to come down and give you a hand.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
King,

I bet if you organized a wrenchathon, there'd be several guys in the AZ area that would be willing to come down and give you a hand.
True.

I hate to ask who's willing to help though.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:38 PM

If they are only charging $250 for drive in drive out diff dropping and locker install, that is pretty good.

If they are also installing the compressor and running the air line, you should be arrested for robbery.

I still do not think that this can be done and will go on record as saying so. If I am wrong, I will start a thread purely for the purpose of public humiliation.

Install the compressor is easy, that is one of the first things that I did which required much thought. It has been downhill since then.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:43 PM

If they are only charging $250 for drive in drive out diff dropping and locker install, that is pretty good.

If they are also installing the compressor and running the air line, you should be arrested for robbery.

I still do not think that this can be done and will go on record as saying so. If I am wrong, I will start a thread purely for the purpose of public humiliation.

Install the compressor is easy, that is one of the first things that I did which required much thought. It has been downhill since then.
Would you like to give them a call and debate with them about that?

I can only take it so far.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:29 AM

FWIW, I called Drivetrain Direct yesterday. They don't have any IFS 3rd cores, nor Toy 8" cores to assemble thirds. They will do yours if you send them in, but then there's the downtime....

Old 01-30-2004, 06:53 AM

FWIW, I called Drivetrain Direct yesterday. They don't have any IFS 3rd cores, nor Toy 8" cores to assemble thirds. They will do yours if you send them in, but then there's the downtime....

The sales rep at the dealer swore to me that I don't need an additional third. The locker will install in my stock gears.

I was only able to take the debate so far, so I finally said OK, OK.

If you guys would like to give him a call, be my guest.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Damn, I was going to call about the same thing next week. Drivetrain Direct is one of the few places I have not heard anything bad about. Have you tried Reider Racing yet?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:22 PM

Reider is in Detroit, could work out better being close to you guys Lance and Mike.

Unfortunately, they did not have any rear thirds when I was doing this. My impression is that since they are Midwest, they likely do less Toy work.

Marlin, All-Pro, ORS and maybe more sell thirds, but I don't think that they take cores. If you have buyers for your thirds and can get better than $250, then it would work out well.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:46 AM

Maybe time to test the waters for selling my factory 4.88 thirds...

Last edited by Cebby; 02-01-2004 at 03:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Planning to get LOCKED