Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning to get LOCKED

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning to get LOCKED

I'm planning to get my truck locked, both front and rear.

I'd like to go with an electric locker so I thought about running dual ARB AIR LOCKERS.

I went to a local shop today and the guy, who claimes to have 52 years experience in the off-road scene, told me that the ARB LOCKER is a bunch of crap.

He even showed me two bearings of what I suppose would be in the gears somewhere, and they were completely stripped on the inside.

I then thought about the DETROIT but it's too noisy and not good if you're a daily driver, which is going to apply in this case.

So finally, I asked him what he suggested I get if he were I, and he said he would get the TRU-TRAC in the front, and the AUBURN (??) in the rear.

He quoted me an estimated price of about $700 with installation.

Now, I know about the issue with the ADD and having an automatic locker so I guess I would be forced to go with an electric locker in the front.

He said that DETROIT now makes an electric locker but it's up in the 900s, and that is way out of my price range.

Also, how odd would it be to have a completely stock truck get locked all the way around? Seems awfully awkward when I think about it even though I'd love it.

Any opinions and/or thoughts?

Last edited by KING; 01-19-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thoughts are that guy is full of crap.

Detroit does not currently and may not ever make an ELECTRIC application for 8" Toy diffs.

ARB does a lot of work before things come out to the public, hence the long wait for the RD90. That is not to say that it is perfect, but I have not heard of many if any failures of Toyota ARB's when properly installed and with correctly routed hose.

If I went to someone who claimed to have experience in wheeling and said I wanted my truck locked at both ends and he then recomended two LSD's, I would pee in his Cheerioes.

Personally, I would not mess with a front LSD because you get only part of the benefit of having a TAD and all of the bad aspects like steering and such.

ADD is off no importance on the front end about what you add, it is the manual hub or not debate. Without them, things will steer heavy and jerky with a locker even in 2wd. WHen I lock my front ARB in 2wd with the hubs locked, it is like driving through tar with the steering.

EDIT
To make sure RT understands.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 01-19-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:01 PM

Additional thought:

Why double lock a stock truck?

Toyotas are not for mud and a stock height and tired truck without armor would be painful to watch rock crawl.

$700 for parts is not unreasonable assuming he will charge you $200 or so bucks per diff for the gear set-up. No telling how he will charge you for bearings or if the old ones will be reused.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:22 PM

Re: Planning to get LOCKED

Originally posted by KING
I'm planning to get my truck locked, both front and rear.
If you plan to lock it then go with ARB front/rear.

I just locked mine front/rear ARB and wouldn't have it any other way. When I was reaching what I wanted to do I thought about an LSD in the front but wondered if that sudden torque when it engaged wouldn't hurt something. When I do my SAS I will reconsider the LSD.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
Additional thought:

Why double lock a stock truck?
Why not?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM

First of all, I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling with it. It's only going to be sufficient where lockers can make a difference.

You are under estimating a stock TOYOTA.

I've been through a lot of places as is. Yes, a lot spots have left to be desired but it's OK. I don't plan to go over huge boulders.

I may add some sliders in the near future since my dad was a professional welder but that's about as far as I'm going to go for many reasons.

So you are saying that locking a truck in the front without manual hubs is not something that I should consider doing, unless I add manual hubs??
Old 01-19-2004, 02:25 PM

Re: Re: Planning to get LOCKED

Originally posted by GRNTACO
If you plan to lock it then go with ARB front/rear.

I just locked mine front/rear ARB and wouldn't have it any other way. When I was reaching what I wanted to do I thought about an LSD in the front but wondered if that sudden torque when it engaged wouldn't hurt something. When I do my SAS I will reconsider the LSD.
Nice.

Can you give me a detalied break down of all the pricing it took to do?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:27 PM

The only reason I want to do a manual hub conversion is for the extra lift so The CV's won't be turning all the time.

With my ADD I make sure all the air is out of the compressor before I get on the road.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:39 PM

King,

Since I have no idea how to set gears I ordered complete 3rd members and installed them.

I paid $2500 for the 3rd members. That price included new Yukon gears (4.88's ) and the 2 ARB lockers and what ever the shop charge was to set up the gears. I figured I saved about $800 dollars or so doing the 3rd member install, compressor install and all the wiring.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:32 PM

King,

Since I have no idea how to set gears I ordered complete 3rd members and installed them.

I paid $2500 for the 3rd members. That price included new Yukon gears (4.88's ) and the 2 ARB lockers and what ever the shop charge was to set up the gears. I figured I saved about $800 dollars or so doing the 3rd member install, compressor install and all the wiring.
$2500??

For the past hour, I've been trying to locate a post where a member broke down the price, in detail for both lockers but I can't find it!

I remember though, it was around $1500.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=16829
Old 01-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Detroit does not currently and may not ever make an application for 8" Toy diffs.
yes they do.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by RTdawgs
yes they do.
not for their selectable.

I can't believe that dude fed you such a load of crap. ARB Air Locker are awesome lockers. He obviously has no clue what he is talking about. And then go so far as to tell you 2 LSD would be better. I certainly wouldn't go back to him. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Go with dual ARBs. You won't regret it...
Old 01-19-2004, 05:04 PM

ARB's are a quality product.
My rear detroit is not noisy at all, I can't even hear it ratchet.
That guy is full of crap.
Don't waste your money on a limited slip.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:38 PM

You are under estimating a stock TOYOTA.
I agree with this. brother has a stock 91 pickup, and the rear sags a little bit...and yet he does some crazy stuff with it, hasn't really damaged anything (broke e-brake on a log). a lot of places he can keep up with me...but not all of them

I may add some sliders in the near future
That would be a good idea, maybe some skid plates too.

If your spending all that money on lockers, you had better use them, often
Old 01-19-2004, 05:44 PM

I have front and rear ARB's.

RT, I am moderately amused you thought me a sufficient fool to say that Detroit made no applications. I meant they have no Electrac application currently and they may not ever. Maybe I am too far out of the loop, but I am pretty sure that even the 44 applications are hard to get a hold of, anyone know for sure?

Rear Precision regeared ARB'd third was $1150 plus a core from Drivetrain Direct.

Front I bought parts separate and had a local shop do it.

I am not underestimating a stock Toyota, I am speaking as one who has a double locked not stock Toyota.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not?
What Adrian is getting at is that for the majority of trails that require front and rear lockers will also require armor and lift to get through without body damage.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

RT, I am moderately amused you thought me a sufficient fool to say that Detroit made no applications. I meant they have no Electrac application currently and they may not ever.

if you read your post you can see where i was coming from. no where does it say selectable.

sufficient fool? no.

in a hurry to flame the local guy with 52 years of "experience" so you left out a word? yes.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by 44Runner
not for their selectable.

I can't believe that dude fed you such a load of crap. ARB Air Locker are awesome lockers. He obviously has no clue what he is talking about. And then go so far as to tell you 2 LSD would be better. I certainly wouldn't go back to him. He has no idea what he is talking about.

Go with dual ARBs. You won't regret it...
I'm not going back to them after I realized, of course, with the help from you guys, that he suggest I get a LSD for the front.

Too bad my dad has already bought his RANCHOs for his truck from there...

I've decided to go with dual ARB LOCKERS.

Thanks 44RUNNER.

Last edited by KING; 01-19-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Excellent choice. You won't regret them. While your at it, can you pick me up a couple?

Quick Reply: Planning to get LOCKED