Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modification ideas for moderate wheeler

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
Exactly. I'm somewhat new to wheeling. I went a few times with family when I was like 5 or 6 but they had stock Toyota's and I don't remember much about it. I plan on just getting the 4.88 gears, lock the rear, 33" tires, rock sliders, and underbody armor. Then I'll take it out and see how it does and where I need to improve.

Like I said, it could be 5 years or more before I do the SAS. I don't feel like sitting on the sidelines and just driving through dirt roads in the rockies so I would like to keep my truck mostly intact for at least the next 5 years. I think lockers, tires, and a little bit of armor will do me fine for a beginner.

If I keep breaking steering parts out the wazoo then I'll upgrade them. It would be cheaper for me to upgrade them after breaking 5 parts than 50. Yeah they may be cheap $5 parts, but by the time I'm able to do the SAS I will probably have spent the same amount just fixing my truck. So why not spend the money now and not have to worry about it? "Quality over quantity" right?

And besides, I've been thinking of just building this truck to be a desert truck, then buying another 4Runner that already has the front and rear messed up (or gone), and doing the SAS on that one instead.

I'm not looking for anything hardcore yet. I just wanna have fun and get some experience and not have to worry about my truck too much
Great post. Get on the trail FIRST, mods later.

x2 for Axleike's post too - armor makes wheeling SO much more fun because you're not (as) worried about destroying your truck.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I bought a rear 3rd member with 4.88 gears and a lockrite already in it. Just waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully next paycheck I can find a front diff with the 4.88's. I'll swap the differentials after I get the money for the tires and to fix the steering/upgrade it. Probably be about March.

Took the rear driveshaft off and the u-joint is shot. Took it to the local 4x4 shop and they said they'd replace the u-joint with a sealed/waterproof one that's also supposed to be stronger. I asked about greaseable and he said that this one didnt' need to be greased since its a sealed unit. Dunno anything about these u-joints; I've never heard of anyone having one.

I can't wait to just get this thing back on the road. I miss it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much

Driving it to my buddies house to take the driveshaft off was funny. I was doing 10-15 mph the whole way with my emergency flashers on and yet no one would pass so I had about 10 cars following me. Then of course everyone walking down the street had to stop and stair as I drove by since my truck was going "clunk clunk clunk ca-chunk, clunk clunk (etc)". Oh well, this truck has yet to get stuck and has always gotten me home after I break it
Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, i wish i had your money ha ha i'm an 18yo college student who would kill for a $200 rear lockrite ha ha... but i get by without it... my one buddy has a 2000 cherokee with a 2k suspension and 32" stt's and a stout front bumper, i follow him anywhere with open diffs, no lift, and 31" cheapo all terrains, and out wheel him most of the time... the one major thing i've learned on here is, get out and wheel, you'll see what you need most when you get a few trips in ya... i'd take a braggin story about how i made it thru and pulled out his jeep in a mudhole over a rig thats got all the mods money can buy with no stories
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by eich75
man, i wish i had your money ha ha i'm an 18yo college student who would kill for a $200 rear lockrite ha ha... but i get by without it... my one buddy has a 2000 cherokee with a 2k suspension and 32" stt's and a stout front bumper, i follow him anywhere with open diffs, no lift, and 31" cheapo all terrains, and out wheel him most of the time... the one major thing i've learned on here is, get out and wheel, you'll see what you need most when you get a few trips in ya... i'd take a braggin story about how i made it thru and pulled out his jeep in a mudhole over a rig thats got all the mods money can buy with no stories
True that. I'm not really made of money either. Believe me, I barely make it to the next paycheck by a few dollars lol. This is the first time I've ever really bought anything to make my vehicle better. The rear diff/lockrite was kind of my dad's Christmas present to me. He gave me a check, I bought the diff lol. I just want to get the basic stuff that I KNOW I'll need/be doing in the future. Especially beefing up the parts and adding protection to them. I have a bad tendency to break stuff where most people don't haha

Last edited by nosfanatic2006; 01-08-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is not your daily drive, save some money and get mini spools.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by monster1
If it is not your daily drive, save some money and get mini spools.
It is my daily driver. . .when its driveable. Which brings me to my next post. . .

The u-joint wasn't the issue with my truck. Its still screwed up . So next step is the rear 3rd member. Hopefully I can pick that up tomorrow at the latest and have it in by the end of the weekend