Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final (?) post, 3rd Gen. skids finished, pic intensive long post

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another happy customer...

I did the Sibley Mansion trip the weekend before last, and we were driving in the bottom of Copper Creek when we came upon a particular obstacle where I was losing traction even with the rear locker. A couple of deep holes combined with some big rocks... anyway, there was a different line slightly to the right, but it would mean smacking the front crossmember HARD. The other option was to toss a rock under the left rear tire. I figured this would be a good time to test the new skid... so I chose the non-rock-stacking line. WHAM! hehe It held up great - dented it a little bit (which I'm glad it did). This thing is sweet. Check out that clearance in the second pic... nice fit!

Old 11-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

OK, Steve... regarding the mid-supports, I tried messing with it again tonight. Here is the deal...

I had a floor jack this time, and barely started the front bolts as you suggested. At this point, the skid comes in contact with the poly bumps, and there is still 2" between the mounting holes in the back.

I don't want to use the floor jack to try and mate the rear mounting holes because I would have to bend the skid. These are not going to work as they are, unfortunately. Am I the only Tacoma that you made these for? It's no biggie. I would prefer to just sell them to someone with a 4Runner. I've got too many busy weekends ahead to mess with this much more. Anybody miss out on these when Steve made the (only) batch, and need a set?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:25 PM

I have a "prototype" of the skid you have, it doesn't have those supports, but I don't know if they would work. Maybe Steve could jump in with some info...
If they do work for me, how much are they? I haven't hit the skid too hard YET, but more supports can't hurt right?
Do they just need to be welded in?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RobT2k
I have a "prototype" of the skid you have, it doesn't have those supports, but I don't know if they would work. Maybe Steve could jump in with some info...
If they do work for me, how much are they? I haven't hit the skid too hard YET, but more supports can't hurt right?
Do they just need to be welded in?
They bolt in, you could use them. There may be a bit of space with your skid, but you could always turn then around and they would go lower.

If the skid ever flexed up, they would support it, even on the one you have.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by BajaTaco
Another happy customer...

Mike
Old 11-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RobT2k

If they do work for me, how much are they?
Hey Rob, I will send you a PM with the details. If anyone else is interested in these, just let me know and if Rob doesn't get them, I can provide the details from Steve's original email (that he sent to everyone who ordered these), which outlines the benefits of the supports, cost, etc. I wish they would have fit my truck - I like the concept of the way they work... I guess my crossmember must be positioned slightly different than the 4runners. I may just end up having to make my own set when I have more time to mess with it.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Post UPDATE

Originally posted by BajaTaco
... If anyone else is interested in these, just let me know...
FYI - these skid supports have been sold.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:35 PM

Well gang, the project is over and done. I have some skid blanks for sale in the For Sale Forum and then they will be all gone. I'm sticking purely to one off projects from now on and maybe some very limited production stuff in the future due to the amount of time my work takes up and the amount of engineering jobs I have taken on the side.

For those who bought one, thanks, I feel good about building something that adds protection to our rigs. I will offer continued support to the buyers, including a new center support that will bolt on (with some minor drilling). The two Taco guys that bought one, good thing you're local 'cause we'll have to hook up and build a custom center support for yours due to the difference between Tacos and 4Runners. For those that missed out, sorry, but you can buy a blank and have it welded in anyway you desire.

Again, thanks to all the folks on all the different BBS's that supported the project and helped it come to fruition.

Mike
Old 12-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by azrain
...The two Taco guys that bought one, good thing you're local 'cause we'll have to hook up and build a custom center support for yours...
Sounds like a good excuse to enjoy a brew or two
Old 12-29-2003, 07:06 PM

Hehe, indeed.

Mike