Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downey Manual Hub Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey Manual Hub Conversion

Anyone have expeience with Downey's conversion for Tacos?

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Chassi...riveTrain.html

It's about $400 cheaper than the other one, can't think of the name of the company, since it reuses parts from the ADD setup.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

I would be interested in seeing the success rate of pressing the ADD hubs out without damaging the wheel bearings.

Thats really the only catch with the kit that I see.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Darx
Anyone have experience with Downey's conversion for Tacos?

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Chassi...riveTrain.html

It's about $400 cheaper than the other one, can't think of the name of the company, since it reuses parts from the ADD setup.

I have been calling Downey for weeks about it and they give me a different answer every time. I have tried to get the catalog or just the instrcutions so I can see what is involved, still don't have either. One guy even told me that kit has been discontinued, which cannot be true. Everyone else there I have talked to has said they are waiting for the kits to come in - 30 days - for over a month now. Hope to get more info soon...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I would be interested in seeing the success rate of pressing the ADD hubs out without damaging the wheel bearings.
That's impossible. They have some good connections and will work out the bugs, but expect the de-bugged version to be a bit more.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
That's impossible.
That's what I thought, but the description says you can re-use your wheel bearings
Old 07-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

That's what I thought, but the description says you can re-use your wheel bearings
They have not done one yet, also I would like to see someone seperate the center shaft from the outter CV, some come off with alot of work, some never come off.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

So, what we're saying here is that Offroad Solutions is currently the best bet for the conversion?
Old 07-17-2004, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Darx
So, what we're saying here is that Offroad Solutions is currently the best bet for the conversion?
No. Give Downey a chance. The ORS kit has more new parts and is going to be easier to install.

You can also do it with Junk Yard parts as well.

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/junk_yard_manual_hubs.html
Old 07-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
You can also do it with Junk Yard parts as well.
That's what I did...
Old 07-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
That's what I did...
All you need to do is get some recycling yard Hubs and spindles, and everything bolts up. It is much less expensive and stronger than anything Downey can sell, as Aisin hubs are some of the strongest and simpleist (sp?) on the market. PM me if you want to get some parts, i work in a Toyota wrecking yard and we got a taco in with only 35k on the odometer that would work for a swap. Ill hook ya up!
Old 07-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
PM me if you want to get some parts, i work in a Toyota wrecking yard and we got a taco in with only 35k on the odometer that would work for a swap. Ill hook ya up!
I'm looking for the Taco Manual Hub Center Caps that they used with the alloy wheels. Do you have them?

They look like these...
Old 07-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

I actually have a set of hubcaps that fit over the manual hubs, but those with the hole in them are nice too. I'll have to post a picture of them, they bulge out further than the stock ADD caps.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
I actually have a set of hubcaps that fit over the manual hubs, but those with the hole in them are nice too. I'll have to post a picture of them, they bulge out further than the stock ADD caps.
So, do you have to take them off to lock them in? I don't think I would like that. Are they the stock FJ80 ones? I know they stick out farther and they look like they would fit.

I will probably just end up cutting the centers out of my original ones. Thats basically what these are anyways. Nobody seems to have them and I'm not paying $20 ea from the dealer for them.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:34 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure which vehicle they came off of, but I don't mind having to remove the cap to make the selection, since they'll give them a bit more protection from the elements.

Jim, I took DeathCougar up on his offer and from what you explained, I'll be able to make them work with my ABS system.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
I'm not sure which vehicle they came off of, but I don't mind having to remove the cap to make the selection, since they'll give them a bit more protection from the elements.

Jim, I took DeathCougar up on his offer and from what you explained, I'll be able to make them work with my ABS system.
Yeah, they will certainly work. It's just a PITA to do the swap. It took 17 tons of force to press out my ADD hubs. It also takes a special toyota tool to remove the Manual Hub nut and 203 ft lbs to re-torque it. Plan on about $200 for new bearings, snap rings and seals. And if you have the press work done at the dealer, $250 more.

Schaefer has a write up on his site.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe I'm not getting something here, but couldn't you just get the complete taco knuckle from upper ball joint to the 4 bolts on the lower ball joint and also get the manual hub axles and just swap it out, you wouldn't have to do any press work then, and just lock your ADD in all of the time of course most of the tacos don't have ABS with manual hubs, but the spot on the knuckle is there for the sensor, just needs to be drilled out, which if you had a drill press wouldn't be too hard, drill the main hole, drill a smaller hole, tap it and you're done. i hope im not too wrong
Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superjoe83
maybe I'm not getting something here, but couldn't you just get the complete taco knuckle from upper ball joint to the 4 bolts on the lower ball joint and also get the manual hub axles and just swap it out, you wouldn't have to do any press work then, and just lock your ADD in all of the time of course most of the tacos don't have ABS with manual hubs, but the spot on the knuckle is there for the sensor, just needs to be drilled out, which if you had a drill press wouldn't be too hard, drill the main hole, drill a smaller hole, tap it and you're done. i hope im not too wrong
Larger brake backing plates have to be moved over as well.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superjoe83
I thought about the same thing too (drilling the spindle) but decided not to take that one on. Plus, like Steve said 4Runners have bigger brakes too.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya, i forgot about the brakes
Old 07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Simply drilling the hole isn't all that is needed, there is a sensor ring that needs to be installed as well.

Quick Reply: Downey Manual Hub Conversion