Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover SAS for 85-95

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright well i was pretty excited about htis kit but from what you guys have said and my skill level i dont think i need to invest that kinda money into something that i probably wouldnt ever take to its max potential. it will probably be leaves for me. thanks for the info.

by the way does deaver have a website?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deaver is beyond awesome, but for soem reason they do not have a website. They are always hard at work making springs, I guess that's a good thing. they care more about thier products athna advertising for new business. Hell, they don't have too. They make the best leaves around. they're on all the race trucks.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 PM

http://www.desertcommunication.net/deaverspring.html

EDIT: This must be a figment of my imagination. Google is your friend.

Last edited by Cebby; 07-29-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

I think Alcan is beyond awsome as well.

http://www.alcanspring.com/

Mike is a weeenieee and has no motor..............
Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 PM

http://www.off-road.com/race/nationalspring/
Old 07-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Sprung over rears with long, soft springs and big engines trash springs. Add a track bar and you have likely limited travel. There are tradeoffs.

Cost difference, purely in parts, between a well done leaf sprung front swap and a coilover swap are non-existant. The issue comes with labor. If you have a buddy who can weld, or pay a shop to weld and have a buddy to cut, the leaves on 86-95 trucks is stupid easy.

This is a good kit, the one for late model trucks will be even better since people have to use a wider 44 or a Front Range axle. I am just saying there is a difference between what you are getting and what you are paying with a coilover compared to a leaf swap.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I think Alcan is beyond awsome as well.

OK, Alcan is rad too.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Sprung over rears with long, soft springs and big engines trash springs. Add a track bar and you have likely limited travel. There are tradeoffs.

Cost difference, purely in parts, between a well done leaf sprung front swap and a coilover swap are non-existant. The issue comes with labor. If you have a buddy who can weld, or pay a shop to weld and have a buddy to cut, the leaves on 86-95 trucks is stupid easy.

This is a good kit, the one for late model trucks will be even better since people have to use a wider 44 or a Front Range axle. I am just saying there is a difference between what you are getting and what you are paying with a coilover compared to a leaf swap.
So I take it, I'll be welding your SAS ???
Old 07-29-2005, 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. It really helped me, I feeel much better now. I do spend a fair amount of time on Pirate but most of those guys are a little too hardcore for me. My main concern is durability in a good all around rig.

I was going to stop by Deaver as they are very close to me and I have heard good things about them. Great to hear that confirmed.

As for the rear, I'm keeping the FJ80 Coils. They work well (full flex on 10" shock range) and are cheap. Might need to adjust the height a little, possibly a true 4 Link in the future, but for now $1 at a time.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
HEY!!

I have two motors.... neither of them can move my rig currently, that's all.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:17 PM

i know about alcan i have sent them emails for price quotes. i think that might be who i do business with. i dont know for sure yet. like someone else said up above i am looking to build a wellrounded durable rig that can wheel. im just doing research and getting suggestions. i think i am going to to other mods first such as locker and wheel my ifs until it is nonusable, broken, or just not worthy.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 PM

When ORS's kit is available, I *WILL* be looking into it. I think it's definitely the way to go. Spendy? Not really - $1500 for a leaf-sprung SAS kit (yeah, that includes steering), so the difference isn't as much as one would think (okay, maybe double, but still.. )
Old 07-29-2005, 08:03 PM

For clarities sake...

If I trusted my welding and could do it all myself, getting a kit like the ORS one is what I would do. It has solved all the geometry problems usually related to doing links.

For prices sake, think $1k for 14" travel coilovers completed plus another grand in material. The kit is sort of playing on someone who already has a built Toy front and just wants to get rid of springs.

There is a difference between hanging a solid axle and doing a good conversion. This is doing a great conversion, not smoking pole for backdoor deals and ending up getting paid to put a 20 year old axle under a rig.

Steve, I am mostly on top of it. I will call when I am moved and start the new gig. The next 48 is going to be memorable.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:04 PM

And another thing....

How many of you have actually called to inquire about this kit?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 PM

And another thing....

this is a good question i know i havent because i am in no rush at all. it will be a while after they start selling the kit that i would have bought one.

so flygtenstein you think that the ors kit is a good sturdy kit with good geometry? i mean i dont trust my welding but i do trust my buddies wleding. he defenintly wants his part strong and unbreakable. and he has the skill to do this.

i know i said i would go with leafs but i think i am still juggleing the decision. i guess one of the things that will make my decision is what they are going to sell the kit for. i mean thanx to you guys i have an idea but it would be nice to know exactly how much they are going to sell it for.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 PM

by the way i meant to ask, early you guys mentioned doing it with a different axel because the stock toyota axel has limited space. but my question is what would you need space for? i mean what else would you put on the axel?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by 86runner
by the way i meant to ask, early you guys mentioned doing it with a different axel because the stock toyota axel has limited space. but my question is what would you need space for? i mean what else would you put on the axel?
If you are going with leafs, you can use a minitruck axle and either wheel spacers or Sky's (or others) widening kit. Most swap "kits" use the Toy axle. I think the coilover kit benefiits from a wider axle due to the amount of droop that can be achieved.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

And another thing....

Because I wonder if it will ever really be for sale.............
Old 07-31-2005, 08:11 PM

And another thing....

I called 2 weeks ago or so. They said the kit would be ready some time in September, can't say they gave me a warm fuzzy that it would really be ready.

The pictures on the website are of a Toy axle with 14" coilovers, the kit was being adapted to 12" coilovers and they were pushing for the FROR axle.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:48 PM

So september is almost over and still no kit for sale. i guess its no suprise. so have you guys heard anything else about this?

Quick Reply: Coilover SAS for 85-95