Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a WINCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rngrchad
the weight in my opinion would be one of the biggest pluses because I'm runnig ifs, and my coils don't like much stress on them. It is significantly lighter, is it not?

Does it matter when the winch itself weighs 90lbs plus the bumper/cradle it sits in? I dunno Grasshoppaa No IFS to worry about
Old 07-29-2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 82trekker
Does it matter when the winch itself weighs 90lbs plus the bumper/cradle it sits in? I dunno Grasshoppaa No IFS to worry about
Hmmm...good point trekker. I smash the ˟˟˟˟˟ out of my skidplates. It's to the point the last two times I've gone wheel'n with your club jonnyquest, I've ended up breakin the skidplate bolts and having to re-drill them. The less weight the better. That darn ifs is great sometimes, but other times I'm just smashing my skidplate right into my oil pan
Old 08-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Chad,

Doood...you need to check with me and Vince before makin' a huge purchase like that. I'm expecting a new WARN Comp winch in the near future and my 8K Warn will be up for grabs.

Screw MM. Yes, you can pull all day with a hydro unit but it will take all day to pull too

Go Warn or Go Home. Flat out.

Got your message last night Nice Sig BTW! Friggin' stellar.
Last time I checked that MM winch pictured isn't a hydro unit. My brother in law has that same MM 8K winch. It works just fine and we've used it a couple of times. The only two downsides to it are slow line speed and a crappy hand controller. Other than that, it works great for being $400
Old 08-02-2005, 09:53 AM

I always laugh at posts about winches, everybody and there mother says how you have to go with Warn, yet they have never owned anything else. I believe that Warn is a slightly better built winch and is quicker, but unless the winch is going to be used every week I don't see the need to dish out almost $300 more. I have never heard anybody talk about their MM crapping out. Basically if you are stuck bad enough to need a winch do you really care if it takes an extra minute to get you out? If so definately get a Warn.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:04 AM

In my case I have a multi-mount winch. When I swapped the roller for a composite fairlead the assembly was noticeably lighter. Going to synthetic cable should do the same. That said the winch and holder must be still 80+ lbs. and less than a joy to move.

Synthetic line is much safer in the event of a break since it is lighter and can't cause the same damage. It's much easier to handle when using snatch blocks or dragging it around. Although it is more vulnerable to heat, UV, and abrasion damage though. Not sure if it can happen with wire, but synthetic can get wrapped up onto itself when spooling in under no load, this can be a hassle to untangle.

Let's not forget it look so much cooler!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:18 AM

Yea, the synthetic line is a lot lighter than the steel line. I think that weight matters a lot. The heavier your rig the bigger the possibility of breaking stuff, unless you upgrade everything to heavy duty. If I can save 20 pounds by going to a synthetic line then I'm more than happy to do it.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM

I have heard stories of MMs and knock off's failing...plus I've been in situations where yes I believe it does make a different how fast and strong the winch pulls, especially when your truck is on the verge of rolling off a waterfall..ledge, etc.

Get cheaper shocks or tires, but dont go cheap on a winch, it just may save your day. just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:12 PM

It is all just a matter of what your preferences are. I think that your shocks and tires for example are two of the most important parts on a vehicle and shouldn't be skimpped on. You are using your tires and shocks every time your vehicle moves on or off road. If you have crappy tires, you will definately need a winch.

Last edited by cubuff4runner; 08-02-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
It is all just a matter of what your preferences are. I think that your shocks and tires for example are two of the most important parts on a vehicle and shouldn't be skimpped on. You are using your tires and shocks every time your vehicle moves on or off road. If you have crappy tires, you will definately need a winch.
I'm with cubuff4runner.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM

Yes, I've only owned WARN and that's because I've wheeled with guys who have had MM just to save some coin. Although I've not had any first hand experiences with the electric MM I would be more leary of them because they are new and MM got it's reputation from hydro so why switch?

If you say the weight between syn and cable matters than so would the line speed of the winch for many small, but important reasons. It's all a matter of preference like you said.