Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Lift Pics: Before and After

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
i went to a long travel kit and am running fox shocks all the way around now.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by swerks

This is my truck after ball joint spacers, it looked the same before ball joint spacers but I had the torsion bars cranked and it rode like crap.
HOLY!!
thats a great looking rig.
I love that paint!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BJ spacers don't effect ride quality. The internet is just great for good information isn't it?

If you leave your torsion bars turned to stock, bj spacers lift about an inch... lil bit more. They force the lower A-arm down which in turn makes the truck a bit higher upfront.

They change the front geometry and put more stress on the idler arm. Changing the torsion bar crank/turn effects camber more exagerated after you install spacers. So an alignment or decent knowledge of alignment is necessary to get the wheels to sit right. Which also effects toe..

It messes everything up but if done right, bj spacers are an improvement.

As for before n after, its almost fruitless to post pics. It's noticeable but the goal of BJ's ... besides the good feeling... oh i mean spacers is for performance not looks. If you want looks a body lift is cheaper and easier. (no cutting of metal and screwing with steering). =)

You can fit 33's comfortably upfront after bj spacers.

longer shackles will lift a rear enough to accommodate the front lift.

Ofcourse you already knew this.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 PM

btw, procomp shocks are fine. I recommend them. The 3000's are softer than the 9000's but i'd recommend either. I personally run 9ks on all 4 corners.

these trucks don't ride soft no matter bilsteins or not. and ive experience with ranchos, procomp and bilsteins. Cant beat the price of procomps vs performance. period. but...

this is just another stinky opinion
Old 12-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info and I know I'll need an alignment after install, so I'm doing it inmy school Auto shop because we have an alignment rack and if the BJ are putting stress on the ider arms won't they break after a while?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM

yes, get an idler arm truss, or spend the xtra dough on a bulletproof idler arm from TOTAL CHAOS

ps...if u ever decide to sell your stock steelies....please message me, provided its after mid january, as i'm pretty broke with the holidays and visiting friends in NH.

Last edited by sa51; 12-15-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NorCalWheeler
are you going to get aftermarket ones anytime soon or do your OME shocks work fine?
OME are aftermarket shocks. OME = Old Man Emu many confuse it with OEM. You need longer shocks than stock to take advantage of your extra 1.5"+ of travel

The link in my sig should have the actual shock number that I'm running. I've been very happy with the bj spacers, low profile compressions bumpstops, OME shocks, and left the tbars alone. Got a brace for the idler arm and I'm testing bronze bushings for SDORI (who makes the bj spacers).
Old 12-16-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So the AAL didn't lift the back at all
they did, just enough to get the pack off the overload...my rear springs are shot

heres a b4 AAL pic notice the springs are flat and on the overload spring
Old 12-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Does anyone sell idler arm trusses?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM

or does anyone have any pics of their idler arm truss
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM

downey sells an idler arm truss

http://www.downeyoff-road.com
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM

would I be able to run it a few weeks without the truss, because I can't afford the truss with shocks this paycheck b/c of x-mas,or am I going to have to put one on right when I do the lift? ( I know that it would be easier to do it all at once but no biggy if I can)

Last edited by NorCalWheeler; 12-16-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM
BMC

BEFORE

AFTER

Hey you vacaville guys. Anyone want to go wheeling this tuesday coming up on 12/23. Im not sure where i want to go yet but i definitely want to get into something. Im thinking either knoxville, prairie city or maybe a snow run up in the sierra. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 AM

Got my kit on Christmas eve and put it on New Year's Eve. It took 5 and a half hours and i still need to get it alined. I didn't take any pics ( Was to busy, confused and upset to take any) so I'll post some within the next few days. Hey BMC do you live in Vacaville because I see a 4runner that looks just like yours pass my work every couple of days?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:08 PM
BMC

Got my kit on Christmas eve and put it on New Year's Eve. It took 5 and a half hours and i still need to get it alined. I didn't take any pics ( Was to busy, confused and upset to take any) so I'll post some within the next few days. Hey BMC do you live in Vacaville because I see a 4runner that looks just like yours pass my work every couple of days?

Yeah im living in Vacaville right now. Thats probably my runner you see. I see yours parked at the end of the Lucky's parking lot when i pass by. Where do work at in the shoping center? We should get toghter and go wheelin sometime.

Bryan
Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM

even tho u already got it put on.. i cant help myself. i got 1.5inch bjspacers and a 2inch AAL w? 33x12.50s
Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM

I work across the street from Lucky's at the Cherry Pit
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 PM

I don't usually go to really trails just out to Leiser(SP?)Town Road. or the Industrials out paas Lowe's on East Monte Vista. I might be going to Prairie City next weekend with my parents to ride quads and I'm Going bring my truck and do some wheelin if you want to come out BMC

Aaron
Old 01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
BMC

I don't usually go to really trails just out to Leiser(SP?)Town Road. or the Industrials out paas Lowe's on East Monte Vista. I might be going to Prairie City next weekend with my parents to ride quads and I'm Going bring my truck and do some wheelin if you want to come out BMC

Aaron
Yeah if you go to prairie city let me know. I might head up there.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Cool! I'm pretty sure we're going on Saturday, but I'l let u know for sure on wedsda, I'll send a PM

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Lift Pics: Before and After