Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen, increase rear articulation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine never has on my 1997, and to be honest the only way is if the panhard bar was attached on the driver's side frame instead of the passenger side frame.

Chris
Old 09-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

I don't mean with the standard setup, but I mean going with even longer shocks than the OME's. Look back towards the beginning of the post and look at what Steve was talking about.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:06 PM

The longer the shocks the more it would pull to the passenger side, and away from the gas tank!

Chris
Old 10-01-2003, 02:51 PM

Sorry I'm late to this party but I would like to add my 2cents. I thought that dropping the panhard bar making it level with the axle fixed axle movment?
Which would bring us back to coils falling out which could be stoped a couple ways but the best would be some spring clamps to hold them down in place.
Then your back to shock and shock room

Did I forget anything?

I would asume that if you went too far you would need to start making longer control arms and what not?

thanks
Jason
Old 10-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Sorry- was at work when I posted that and couldn't remember which way it pulled. I'm just trying to figure out how the driveshaft hits the gas tank with longer shocks.
Stuff the drivers side with FZJ-80 shocks.

Went all through this in 2001.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
The longer the shocks the more it would pull to the passenger side, and away from the gas tank!

Chris
Try again.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:05 PM

Actually, I should have qualified my statement a tad better. My statement is true when the passenger side tire is stuffed, but when the driver's side tire is stuffed it would bring it back towards the driver's side. Sorry guys!

Chris
Old 10-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JDeMello
I thought that dropping the panhard bar making it level with the axle fixed axle movment?
Yes it adjusts it back but you have a gas tank in the way. Toyota never intended the axle to travel as far as I/we/you would like it to. The Tacoma tank is completely different, you'll never have the issue with that vehicle.

The only way around this is to move the gas tank to where the spare tire is. A 1995 Nissan Pathfider tank fits perfectly, it even has a skid plate on the bottom.

The other solution is a heavy duty gas tank skid, which works quite well and was much easier to impliment.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:10 PM

I'll have to take a picture of it, but I've yet to hit my 1997's gas tank with either tire stuffed. It's actually got a notch cut out of it to make room for it.

Chris
Old 10-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Chris- true, but we're talking even longer shocks than what you've got on there right now.

Steve- thanks for the picture, I'm a "visual learner."
So, some "adjustment" with a BFH to the stock plate and tank is probably not the safest way of making more room for the driveshaft, huh?:pat:
Old 10-01-2003, 03:22 PM

So if the OMEN86 Firms aren't long enough and there are longer shocks to be had for the rear, is the gas tank the only thing preventing the increased rear suspension travel?

Chris
Old 10-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Steve- thanks for the picture, I'm a "visual learner."
So, some "adjustment" with a BFH to the stock plate and tank is probably not the safest way of making more room for the driveshaft, huh?:pat:
Uh, no. If you must go longer than the Prado shocks, your going to need to get rid of the rear sway bar for good, move the gas tank completely, get upper and lower Spidertrax arms with heims.

Hitting the gas tank with a hammer is going to do nothing more than waste your time. You have to move it entirely.

Unless you want to bash in a good 3-4".

Here is food for though. Call it good with the OME Prado shocks and make the front better. Imagine that, front travel. Ain't gonna happen with 881's.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
So if the OMEN86 Firms aren't long enough and there are longer shocks to be had for the rear, is the gas tank the only thing preventing the increased rear suspension travel?

Chris
Try again, bushings will not push that far either.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Try again, bushings will not push that far either.
Funny guy! You must be pissed at me or thing I'm stupid tonight or all the time for that matter. I like I get the short replies and the folks you respect get full descriptions. I see how it is!

At any rate, so does this spidertrax company make something that would work then, assuming that the gas tank was taken care of? What about the length of the driveshaft?

Chris
Old 10-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Steve,

In regards to working on the front flex- I'm working on it, including QD's, swapping out the stiff springs on the SAWS, and your "secret weapon," of which I"m still waiting to find out what that second part is.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Yes it adjusts it back but you have a gas tank in the way. Toyota never intended the axle to travel as far as I/we/you would like it to. The Tacoma tank is completely different, you'll never have the issue with that vehicle.

The only way around this is to move the gas tank to where the spare tire is. A 1995 Nissan Pathfider tank fits perfectly, it even has a skid plate on the bottom.

The other solution is a heavy duty gas tank skid, which works quite well and was much easier to impliment.
So raise the gas tank build a good skid for it and it should clear. Thanks for answering my question, I'll need to play with it once I get my runner!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Steve,

In regards to working on the front flex- I'm working on it, including QD's, swapping out the stiff springs on the SAWS, and your "secret weapon," of which I"m still waiting to find out what that second part is.
You don't need to swap the springs, just make them softer.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

I've got the 675 PPI in there right now, so I'm thinking of going towards something closer to 600 and/or adding in a particular item that would allow me to put less tension on the spring and still get the same amount of lift.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

I've got the 675 PPI in there right now, so I'm thinking of going towards something closer to 600 and/or adding in a particular item that would allow me to put less tension on the spring and still get the same amount of lift.
You can do the same thing with the springs you have right now.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Ahhh, the secret weapon....

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 10-02-2003 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen, increase rear articulation?