Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen Oil Pan swap and Hydro Assist install

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Oil Pan swap and Hydro Assist install

I finally got some downtime with my rig and took care of a couple projects. First on the list was to replace all my front spring bushings. They were hashed to say the least.

Next up was swapping out my oil pan to make room for my Trail Gear Hydro Assist ram. I did a lot of research and everyone kept telling me to use a T-100 pan. I had also heard that a 2wd 3.0 pan would work so because it was easier to get and cheaper I went with that and I'm glad I did. I called Troy at Cal Mini and he hooked me up with a pan, baffle plate and pick up. All of these components you have to have for this swap. I recommend going with the 2wd pan over a T-100 pan for two reasons. First these parts from the dealerships are crazy expensive and finding a wrecked T-100 is no easy task at least around here. Second the baffle plate requires several holes to be drilled and tapped to bolt it up. The 3.0 2wd pan is a direct bolt on.

The parts pile after 2 hours of cleaning

Getting the old pan off is no easy task. That FIPG crap Toyota uses is some serious stuff. I only had to remove the two brackets that brace the Trans to the Block to expose all the pan bolts.

The view once you get the pan off

Now the more fun part trying to get the baffle tray loose. This was also a huge PIA. Once I got it off along with the pickup it was time to clean up the block to start installing new parts. Here's the two pickups side by side.

And the two pans side by side. Notice how much lower the profile on the front of the 2wd pan is.

Make sure to clean everything really well and don't overtighten the pan bolts. Torque them to 52 INCH pounds.

The finished product... the dipstick is the same and the pan holds exactly the same amount of oil so that part was easy. The pick up and baffle plate are also a direct bolt up.

Now that I had clearance it was time to install my ram. I wont' get into the too much detail because that's a whole another project but here's the finished product.

The steering box with TG's frame plate kit and the lower high pressure line.

I'm super happy with my hydro set up. It steers so smooth now and I can actually steer with the front end locked up now. The hydro ram also acts as the best steering stabilizer ever. It does not even feel like the steering wheel is connected to the steering system now. For now I'm just running the stock pump with a hayden Tranny cooler behind the radiator to cool the fluid. I'm hoping to upgrade the pump and reservoir eventually. I haven't gotten to wheel it yet but I anticipate it's gonna be awesome.

Last edited by UKMyers; 10-10-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM

i just did a pan swap myself.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Definitely not the funnest project I've ever done...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much clearance did you gain?

We SO need to do this to Molly's truck and get some compression travel...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

I'd say I gained 3-4 inches. If you look at the pics of the pans side by side you can kind of get an idea of the difference in the front half of the pan.