99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Toyota Unveils All-New 2008 Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On NPR this morning they mentioned one problem with the Tundra is that the beds are coming loose and the tailgates are breaking off.

I don't know about the styling of the new Sequioa. I expected something like that since it is based on the Tundra. I think the back looks like it came off a minivan design. I'll probably warm up to it - at least it isn't as geometric looking as the Armada.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
FUGLY....All the current toyota models, car, truck, and SUV are fugly.

They have strayed so far from what it should be.....my message to toyota....stop following the crowd and give us the kinds of vehicles you built your reputation on, not this new Americanized crap. There is more to this than the bottom line. If you want your loyal customers, the ones who truly love their yota's to keep coming back, you need to step it up. Quit making ugly and lower quality cars that appeal to bumbling idiots and get back to basics.
i wish one of us could make it to toyota and deliver the message lol
i agree with all the crap on these new cars and trucks, i saw a damn truck the other day, and the guy was like 5'9'' trying to climb into a truck that could STRADDLE MINE!!!!

and people complain about gas mileage yet they get these huge mofo's...

COMPACT TRUCKS ALL THE WAY..
(whats funny is back in the 80's and 90's our trucks were as big as it gets )

im keeping my truck FOREVER!
and i agree, none of the newer models of trucks look that appealing, i mean if i HAD to choose, it might be the taco but i just dont like em...

i want the old 4runners. TAKE A DAMN OLD 4 RUNNER, UPGRADE IT WITH SOME TECHNOLOGY: stronger engine, better stereo, faster 0-60, and maybe some other goodies INSIDE, (KEEP THE BODY STYLE) AND CALL IT A NEW TRUCK!
i would buy one :]
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

I've noticed a trend that people who don't like toyota's new truck designs tend to have toyota's that are 15-20 yrs old. Now if you were head of toyota new product development, who would you direct your product towards? People who buy new cars every 3-4 yrs, and like this "bigger is better" concept? Or people who don't buy new cars for 15-20 yrs, and wish things would just go back to the way they were?

not bashing anyone, just a thought.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

I think they need an EXT version ..

Old 11-15-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by shazaam
I've noticed a trend that people who don't like toyota's new truck designs tend to have toyota's that are 15-20 yrs old. Now if you were head of toyota new product development, who would you direct your product towards? People who buy new cars every 3-4 yrs, and like this "bigger is better" concept? Or people who don't buy new cars for 15-20 yrs, and wish things would just go back to the way they were?

not bashing anyone, just a thought.
thats probably one of the most insightful thoughts i've heard on this subject. I never really thought about it much, but if Toyota can make a car that is appealing for just a couple of years they can sell alot more of them. These guys aren't stupid.

i used to think tundras were ugly, but they've kinda grown on me. (except the new ones. ewwww)

however i've always liked the way sequoias look, and this thing makes me sick. American to the max
Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shazaam
I think they need an EXT version ..

Then it would need wheelie bars.

Spot on with your product planning comment. It's not the most PC SUV around, so they have the Highlander Hybrid for that crowd. I think it's impressive that a 5.7L, 6,000 lb. behemoth like that gets 15-16 mpg on regular according to early reports.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And I thought the Tundra was bad.........
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJM
Poor crash safety, they also have had issues with the engines grenading, towing the trans isnt happy, etc. I dislike the last 5-7 years worth of toyotas b/c overall they just dont seem to be built as well, alot more plastic junk and lower part quality.
Actually, Tundra is the first and only pickup to get the Top Safety Pick designation, beating out Ford, Nissan and Dodge. The GM twins weren't tested:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=444

It's true that 24 (that I heard of) engines grenaded when camshafts snapped. A running production change fixed the problem and new engines were air freighted overnight to affected customers.

First I've heard of tranny issues, not disputing your claim though.

Last edited by BT17R; 11-20-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know... I mean, I really dont think about Tundras and F150s/Rams, whatever, as quite the same. To me, theyre in different leagues. The F150 is for the construction crew, and the Tundra is for the foreman. IMO, its still not a work truck, and will never be because Toyota won't let it be. Redesign it with a diesel/ manual tranny option (call it an 'HD' if it makes you feel better), a solid front axle, and a boxed frame, built with old-school Toyota quality, and you'll have a tough truck that just won't quit.

And, shazaam, as far as your post was concerned, I definitely agree. But, I think true truck buyers differ from the buyers of other vehicles. I think that Toyota should take a page out of the Ford Super Duty's book. What Ford has done with the 3/4 and 1 ton truck market is the best way to go. They've got the base model XL work truck, all the way up to the $50k+ Lariat or whatever. A really good way to use one basic truck to appeal to everybody.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by nix4x4

...And, shazaam, as far as your post was concerned, I definitely agree. But, I think true truck buyers differ from the buyers of other vehicles. I think that Toyota should take a page out of the Ford Super Duty's book. What Ford has done with the 3/4 and 1 ton truck market is the best way to go. They've got the base model XL work truck, all the way up to the $50k+ Lariat or whatever. A really good way to use one basic truck to appeal to everybody.
X2

I like everything they've designed into the new Sequoia. They've included everything that was missing and made it much more competitive. Now you can haul your boat, family and anything else much better than the old Sequoia. It's a little ugly but it'll grow on me just like the Titan, Armada, new Tundra have.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 PM

Redesign it with a diesel/ manual tranny option (call it an 'HD' if it makes you feel better), a solid front axle, and a boxed frame, built with old-school Toyota quality, and you'll have a tough truck that just won't quit.

they got that its called the landcruiser 70 series

has everything you stated allong with i believe a locker in the rear and a full floater rear axle. how depressing is it that we are left out of owning one of these cruisers we got to wait atleast 10 years to get any decent toyota from overseas because of our government and our crash laws and smog laws

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series
Old 11-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

People's dreams of Toyota designing any of their trucks in the US with a solid front axle again need to peacefully die since it's not going to happen and the Sequoia will never be an off road vehicle since very few are anyway so what would be the point.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know... I mean, I really dont think about Tundras and F150s/Rams, whatever, as quite the same. To me, theyre in different leagues. The F150 is for the construction crew, and the Tundra is for the foreman. IMO, its still not a work truck, and will never be because Toyota won't let it be. Redesign it with a diesel/ manual tranny option (call it an 'HD' if it makes you feel better), a solid front axle, and a boxed frame, built with old-school Toyota quality, and you'll have a tough truck that just won't quit.

And, shazaam, as far as your post was concerned, I definitely agree. But, I think true truck buyers differ from the buyers of other vehicles. I think that Toyota should take a page out of the Ford Super Duty's book. What Ford has done with the 3/4 and 1 ton truck market is the best way to go. They've got the base model XL work truck, all the way up to the $50k+ Lariat or whatever. A really good way to use one basic truck to appeal to everybody.
I just recently became a part of the construction buisness on the side with in the past few years. Here are some my obervations on the vehicles the "real construction crew" uses.

1) If they are unionized licensced plumbers, electricians white guys, they drive ford econoline vans

2) If it's the foreman of job, he drives a shiny brand spankin new F-350 super duty, dually, with all the options.

3) If it is a large construction company with a fleet of trucks, then they drive f-150's that the company provides. Although recently I have seen quite a few stripped, long bed tundra's used in these fleets now.

4) Licensed small contractors, and most of the latino workers (who actually do most of the work), and anyone else who needs a reliable vehicle to get back and forth from the job site, and stil be able to carry a payload will drive get a used tacoma or tundra and dream about one day picking up the F-350 that the foreman has.

and lastly I thought this thread was about the sequoia. Which is just your soccer mom special.

Last edited by shazaam; 11-21-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM

I would like to see the new yota's tested against some of the old ones like that one video that has been posted on this forum a thousand times.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
looks like a blown up trundra front with the oversized rear of a seinna
reminds me of a suburban

i think i might have seen one on the road the other day
it was to far away to tell tho
idk
kinda weird
Old 03-23-2008, 08:37 PM

that looks like a van.
a really ugly suv/van crossover IMO.

Last edited by NwRunner; 03-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.