Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

What I've been working on....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Duplicolor stuff is great. I recently used it on my hitch, no matter how bad you spray it on in levels itself out and makes an even texture. Check out Cabelas auto sction. They have a gallon and the spray gun for it for $90. Great deal.

Lamm
Old 05-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lamm- think you could post pics of the hitch? How did it spray?

Doug, you should post some pics of your rig. I test drove a SOA'd FJ with 37's, it was pretty darn creepy to be that high. So, SUA w/ 4 inches of lift will probably suit me just fine in the short term.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:06 AM

It better look like this when it's all done...

http://www.flamingmonkeys.kicks-ass.org/rob

(of course I'd have to steal it from you at that point...)
Old 05-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

That red 45 is insane. I kinda feel like a chump after seeing the red one. I guess it's back to the drawing boards.

I've posted pics of mine. It does look a lot like yours Chemist 'cept I have the Black steelies on my Runner!

Doug M.

BTW: Still waiting on my 35's to come in.

Last edited by 02Runner; 05-04-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jruz
It better look like this when it's all done...

http://www.flamingmonkeys.kicks-ass.org/rob

(of course I'd have to steal it from you at that point...)
I was going to write this earlier but, I was still in kind of a shock.
Cleary this FJ-45 is a "jaw dropper". I can't even begin to express what kind of envy I have.

Taking chevy; 6.5 diesel, trans and transfer case and mating to a Meredes Unimog axels is taking a risk. A risk that pays off in miles per gallon, obtainable parts and solid axel performance.

The next L/C I like (though I like red ones better) is

http://flamingmonkeys.kicks-ass.org/kirk

A 5.0 litre Ford V8 mated to Toyota trans and transfer case.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Cool Lamm- think you could post pics of the hitch? How did it spray?
Ask and you shall recive...
Bear in mind that my hitch was a 11 year old rusty piece of junk and I have an old digi-cam, looks great in person though. I used the rattle can from autozane, $8.00. It looks like you really screwd up when you sprey it on because there are tons of bubbles in it but they all rise and pop giving a texture like looking at the ocean from an airplane high up (hope that makes sense). Let me know if I can help anymore.

Lamm

EDIT, wow, that pic sucks a lot. I'll put another one up tomorow after school. I had to work today so it was kinda dark when I took it, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails What I've been working on....-mvc-024f.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4Lamm; 05-04-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the pics Lamm, if you could grab a better one that'd be great. I'll be buying it by the gallon and spraying with a compressor/undercoating gun. I've got a pint that I'm going to spray just the ambulance doors first to see how it comes out before doing the entire tub.

Those other rigs are pretty sweet. I was surprised to see that grey 73 that's SOA in the rear, SUA in the front. I'm wondering whether he didn't want to bother with cutting/turning the axle?
Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by amusement
The next L/C I like (though I like red ones better) is

http://flamingmonkeys.kicks-ass.org/kirk

A 5.0 litre Ford V8 mated to Toyota trans and transfer case.
Wow, never seen that one before...

They're all cool in my book.

Jim
Old 05-05-2004, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the pics Lamm, if you could grab a better one that'd be great. I'll be buying it by the gallon and spraying with a compressor/undercoating gun. I've got a pint that I'm going to spray just the ambulance doors first to see how it comes out before doing the entire tub.

Those other rigs are pretty sweet. I was surprised to see that grey 73 that's SOA in the rear, SUA in the front. I'm wondering whether he didn't want to bother with cutting/turning the axle?
Sorry but for the life of me I could not get a good pic of my hitch again. I got home a few minutes lator I got toned out for a fire :fireman: (cool, nobody got hurt). When I got home it was kinda dark again.

Heres what I did, that bracket was formaly just galvinaized steel, no finish. I sprayed it once with the bedliner and let it dry. The pic is OK. Enjoy,

The pic still kinda sucks but thats cause my camera does too, I could mail you the bracket

Lamm
Attached Thumbnails What I've been working on....-mvc-027f.jpg  
Old 05-19-2004, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

We don't call you "steady hands Lamm" for nothing!??

Try backing away from the piece. I doubt your camera has a macro function, if so... use that. Also try taking it ouside during the day time. Thats what most lower end digital cameras do best. Thats the way my video camera is anyway.

Nice LC David!! Can't wait to see the finished project.

That red lc is a work of art... :droll: (STILL waiting...) Did you guys see his next mod is going to be 4wheel steering? Nothing short of an amazing rig. Borderline show truck. It would be hard for me to wheel it (ha, yeah right... i'd wheel the hell out of it!) but, what a well thought out and exacuted machine!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well,

I finally got around to spraying the tub with Duplicolor bed liner last night, it came out AWESOME!!! The texture was alot better with the undercoating spray gun/compressor than what I was getting with the spray can. I may go back and give it another coat to build it up a bit more (already gave it ~3 coats), I had to quit at ~10:30 last night, was afraid my dink neighbors were going to call the cops on me. I've only got a 25 gallon compressor, and it was running continuously to keep the pressure up. Anyways, will try to get some pics up later on tonight/tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Well since I have and Auto and a Manual and have wheeled both here is the real deal.

2 stock drivetrains, the Auto will crawl better. Marlin Ultimate on the Manual and then the 5-Speed crawls way better. Then downhill, the Marlin Ultimate is a no-brainer, but the standard manual will slow the truck down. The FJ-62 with the auto you have to ride the brakes down steel inclines, in low range the tranny actually pushes the thing. So now I kick the FJ-62 in neutral and the brakes don't heat up as bad. I had to go to the special Aussie vented and slotted rotors. The 4Runner with the Marlin Ultimate I never even touch the brakes.

Over all which truck to I like wheeling better? Easy call the 5-Speed with the Marlin Ultimate. Get yourself a ToyBox and forget about that stupid bling bling Supercharger.

You'll see...........................................

Last edited by sschaefer3; 05-19-2004 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Yup, given up on the supercharger. Those Atlas transfercases look pretty tasty. Bottom line is that I've never spent much time with a manual vehicle, never owned one. So, its a bit of a steep learning curve to drive it on the street, let alone being able to finesse it offroad. However, based on all the driveline issues that pop up when trying to put a TH350 or any other auto in an FJ-40, it might be easier to learn how to drive stick.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

It might be easier to learn how to drive stick.
Yes, it's not that hard and with a Toy Box or the Atlas case, it is really easy, much easier than an auto. So think long term.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:53 PM

don't worry david i'd teach you how to drive a stick :p
Old 05-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

I got the basics down, its just coming down to getting comfortable with it. Thanks for the offer!
Old 05-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

I got the basics down, its just coming down to getting comfortable with it. Thanks for the offer!
Lots of hills in Seattle, David! I've driven a stick my whole life and I still hate it when people don't leave any rolling room and get right on your butt.

My daughter is currently learning to drive a manual. She has to plan her route across town in advance so she doesn't have to go on hills. All I can say at this time is poor clutch.

Sounds like you and your rig are having much quality time together. Can't wait to see it.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

It's a piece of cake. I have had sticks since 1986. After a while you don't even know your driving, it's just natural.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
It's a piece of cake. I have had sticks since 1986. After a while you don't even know your driving, it's just natural.
I second that...learned to drive a car and took my first driving test with a manual-tranny.

I don't know though...there is a saying about old dogs, and new tricks.

Jim
Old 05-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Time to take this thread out of context...

Originally Posted by KevyWevy
don't worry david i'd teach you how to drive a stick
I got the basics down, its just coming down to getting comfortable with it.
Originally Posted by Funrunner
I've driven a stick my whole life and I still hate it when people ... get right on your butt.
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
It's a piece of cake. I have had sticks since 1986. ... it's just natural.
Y'all need to get a room.

Quick Reply: What I've been working on....