Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Diesel Land of Dreams

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diesel Land of Dreams

Like many before me and certainly many after me, I've come to the conclusion that the FJ80 is a dream machine and I'm searching for one that will fit my needs. And in this land of dreams, America, it should be easy to find what I want to fulfill my dream. Right?

Well, the more and more I've read up on TLC's over the years and the more and more I've defined my 'dream 80', I've come to the realization that either A) I'll have to import from a country that has diesel LC's or B) I'll have to find a way to drop a diesel engine into an 80.

Now, I'm not mechanically inclined, preventive maintenance is the depth and breadth of my skills, so I don't even know if it's possible to drop a diesel into a once petrol vehicle. But I do know that it's been hard to find a Independent Commercial Importer to even raise the question as to whether they could or could not import one of the more rugged versions of the TLC that are sold in countries like Australia. (Aside from the fact that once you find the vehicle you're looking for and pay for it you have to pay for additional shipping, handling fees and every modification that will bring the truck up to EPA and DOT standards.)

Sorry to make my first thread on here a novella, but what I'm basically asking is- How do you get a diesel 80 series (or heck, 100 or 105 series) Land Cruiser in the USA?

Thanks.

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." Langston Hughes
Old 07-15-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try either of these guys:

Clickety

Clackety

I spoke to Jarco today. They are bringing in 2nd Gen Diesel 4Runners right now. Both I4's though...
Old 07-15-2004, 03:30 PM

You know they still sell the fj80 new in Eucador with a turbo diesel--I could import one into mexico easily--you know there is also a diesel FJ75 for sale in either bc orAlberta--it may fit your needs.

Last edited by Gringo; 07-15-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

I am thinking about doing the same thing too, swapping a 3.0 Turbo diesel into my 4runner. As far as I know, the swap is pretty direct. But it would be much easier to get the whole front clip to do the swap. I am from Malaysia, my God father is a mechanic and he has done a lot of diesel conversion for hilux surf(4runner) and Ninja Turtle(LC80) back home. I was quoted for a front clip (w/ tranny) of a 4runner for around $2000++ last year when I went home. Make sure you get the complete front clip instead of just the Engine, so that you will have everything you need to do the swap.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:59 AM

Jarco is bringing in 1/2 cuts which includes the entire drivetrain. Sample pricing:

2.4 D with Auto, harness, ecu, rear LSD - $2595
2.4 D with 5 speed. harness, ecu, rear LSD - $2795

Shipping to Pgh was quoted at $700.

These would be able to be started and run in the condition they arrive (just add fuel). The 3.0 TD (1KZTE) is the engine of choice for me too. I want to find this engine with an auto (from a 3rd Gen) so the t-case can be removed and a doubler added.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Jarco is bringing in 1/2 cuts which includes the entire drivetrain. Sample pricing:

2.4 D with Auto, harness, ecu, rear LSD - $2595
2.4 D with 5 speed. harness, ecu, rear LSD - $2795

Shipping to Pgh was quoted at $700.

These would be able to be started and run in the condition they arrive (just add fuel). The 3.0 TD (1KZTE) is the engine of choice for me too. I want to find this engine with an auto (from a 3rd Gen) so the t-case can be removed and a doubler added.
The 1KZ-TE was available in both 2nd & 3rd Gen models, and is certainly the better choice, will return very similar mpg to the 2.4 whilst obviously offering more power. Additionally it may ultimatly prove more reliable as a small yet significant percentage of the 2.4's suffer from badly cracked cylinder heads, especially when operated in warmer climates.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
If you can get the 1KD-FTV engine the better. It's also a 3.0L TDIC engine but far more powerful than the 1KZ-TE. if you find that difficult to source, get the 1KZ-TE with the intercooler. There's at least a 10 hp and a 4.5kg-m in torque difference between the intercooled and non-intercooled engine.