RC Vehicles Discussion on remote controlled vehicles of all types

Another "Getting into RC..." thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another "Getting into RC..." thread

Yep. I seen enough so i asked Santa for one for Christmas. Now i just gotta figure out what i want.... well, i know what i want, i just cant figure out how to put it to a brand name.

Ive read all through the threads but theres some things i cant figure out the difference/need for some things. For instance, 1.9 vs. 2.2 - From what i gather its wheel size. But what does this mean to me?

Basically what i want is something that looks like a miniature real truck but really capable off road. From what i understand so far, an Axial Honcho would fit my desires the most and i could just change the body to something i like.

But if i get a Honcho and beef it up to how i want it, will i still be able to go on rides with local groups? Or will i get shunned because i dont meet ### competition code?

I had a bunch of buggys and monster trucks as a kid but it seems like things have really changed since then.

Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Torpedo
Yep. I seen enough so i asked Santa for one for Christmas. Now i just gotta figure out what i want.... well, i know what i want, i just cant figure out how to put it to a brand name.

Ive read all through the threads but theres some things i cant figure out the difference/need for some things. For instance, 1.9 vs. 2.2 - From what i gather its wheel size. But what does this mean to me?
1.9 and 2.2 are basically tire size classes. but even those numbers are lenient. there's some 1.9 size tires that are pretty tall and close to the same size as some 2.2 size tires. but the tire size does pretty much classify the rig as either a 1.9 rig or a 2.2 rig; it has nothing to do with the scale of the truck itself. for instance, my Axial SCX-10 is a 1/10th scale truck, and the factory tires were 1.9 size. I since put a different set of 1.9 tires on it, but they're CONSIDERABLY larger than the other 1.9 tires. the fact is, they're still classified as a 1.9 tire

Basically what i want is something that looks like a miniature real truck but really capable off road. From what i understand so far, an Axial Honcho would fit my desires the most and i could just change the body to something i like.
then what you're looking for is most definitely a scale rig ("scaler" as you'll come to call them ). I was in the same boat as you before I purchased my Honcho; wanted something that looked pretty realistic, but was still capable enough to have some fun with on the trails. the Honcho out of the box is a VERY capable rig, and the aftermarket for it (or the SCX-10 chassis it's built on in general) is HUGE, so the upgrades and customization options are endless. changing to different bodies can sometimes be a direct swap just by adjusting some body mounting posts, or at worse just buying or making some different length suspension links to get the wheelbase right

But if i get a Honcho and beef it up to how i want it, will i still be able to go on rides with local groups? Or will i get shunned because i dont meet ### competition code?
when it boils down to it, this hobby is all in good fun. most guys just like to hit the trail with others and bring all kinds of rigs and have at it. when you're just casually going out and hitting the trails on the weekends, it's pretty much run what you brought; no one's going to shun you for having 2.2 tires when everyone else is running 1.9s, lol. if they do, you need to find a new crowd that doesn't take it so seriously.

about the only time you have to really look at your upgrades/changes and see what you should or should not do is if you plan on entering any sort of event or competition. then you have to comply with tire size, tire weight, complete rig weight, and a few other regulations

I had a bunch of buggys and monster trucks as a kid but it seems like things have really changed since then.

Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.
the way things are going in the RC world, at least from what I see, is that the old top-notch Nitro cars and trucks that were all the rave are now taking a back seat since brushless electric power has really advanced. the aftermarket has really stepped in, and there's hop-ups for pretty much ANY RC car/truck out there, even for many that aren't considered a "hobby-grade" RC. it's definitely a fun hobby to get into. it can get expensive, that's for sure and although you can't sit on your 1/10th scale Toyota and ride it through the trails, I still feel it's a very rewarding hobby

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-05-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 AM

What do you think of this deal? Its listed on a local RC forum. I emailed the guy and he said it includes everything i would need to get into it including a charger.

Ax10 comp truck w/locker, steal shafts, full bearing set, mamba max speed control, lipo batteries, Spectrum 3 channel radio and intellipeak Ice Charger and to many upgrades to list comes with many extras $225
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
sounds like a pretty good deal, but the AX10 is a comp rig, not a scaler

BUT, the AX10 shares a LOT of parts with the SCX10. it you wanted to convert it to a scaler, I believe all you would need is an SCX10 chassis frame rails and cross bars

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-06-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Would those items to convert it to a scx cost as much as a whole truck?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if you know you want a scaler then i would recommend you start with a scaler instead of converting a comp rig into one - it's just easier this way. you can easily find a used scaler in the $200-300 range and the new ones are around $300+ - sometimes you can find a hell of a deal on a used scaler with lots of aftermarket goodies in the $400-500 range. some people DO convert their rigs or just slap a scaler body on their comp rigs, but it's either a lot of work/$ or it isn't a true "scaler". I do know that an SCX10 chassis by itself is in the $50-60 range if you want to convert. I can't say exactly what's involved since every body will require a different setup - but it's definitely more involved than just swapping the chassis.

the ax10 and the scx10 share a lot of the same drivetrain components since they're both crawlers - this would be everything connecting the motor and axles. Where they will differ is with the suspension-related items since one is they have completely different chassis and suspension setups - but again, since everything is customizable with an RC this doesn't really matter if it's what YOU want. the term "scaler" is directly related to the proportions of everything and basically imitating reality on a smaller scale - so that's why a lot of scalers will have ladder frames, chassis-mounted steering boxes/servos, etc. here's a really good list of scaler guidelines.

as for the tires "class size" - like bleeder said, the 1.9" vs 2.2" refers to the wheel/bead diameter and has nothing to do with the outer diameter of the tires except that each size wheel is a "class size". Within each of those class sizes, there are a number of different tires available, each of which will have differing outside diameters, tread patterns, and rubber compounds depending on application or scale representation. Sometimes people will simply refer to their rig as a 1.9 or 2.2 rig but it does not mean that their rig is actually a "scaler".

you will find that 1/10 scale is the universal "scale" size for a lot of the stuff out there and 1.9 tires are the more popular size that fits in that body range - competitions usually seem to put a cap on 1.9 size tires being the largest you can run in scale comp. Doesn't mean you can't make a huge scaler out of a power wheels or smaller one with a model car. if it were me looking for a rig, i would go with an Axial SCX10 - seems to be the most popular for what you get in the box and aftermarket support. it's definitely not the only option though - here's a RTR, RC4WD scaler for $300 and it's much more scale than the SCX10.

good luck - i'm sure you'll be happy with whatever rig you choose
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Theres a bone stock Honcho on my local craigslist for $250. It just has the truck, radio and battery. So would it be better to get the AX10 with a ton of goodies on it and lipo battery and convert it to an SCX, or buy the stock SCX and build it up?

Bottom line, either way im gonna screw with it.