Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Front Disc replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Disc replacement question

I've got a 92 2wd 22re shortbed. I'm in the middle of attempting to replace the front discs, but can't get the hub separated from the disc. I unbolted the 5 retaining bolts, but can't get the damn thing to budge.

Anyone have any advice? I've tried PB blaster, heat, mallet. No luck. Is this all one piece? The Haynes manual never shows them separate, but you can buy just the discs from the parts store.

One other question. Anyone know how to get to the inner wheel bearing/ seal? I tried prying what I thought was the seal off as shown in the manual from the backside of the rotor/hub. But, in doing so discovered there is a metal lip on my the backside of my hub between the inner wheel bearing and where the hub contacts the spindle. I bent the hell out of it since I thought it was the inner seal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM

to grease the inner barring to have to remove it and to usually that seal gets ruined in the process most people just replace them when the repack the barrings as for the disc i have never tired to replace on yet so wouldnt know but take it in and see if they can turn it saves money and u get a new surface but if you do repace them get facorty pats alot of parts stores use light weight ones whic are much weaker
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
For removing the rotor, In the past I have had to use a 5 pound sledge hammer.......Storie time .....Had a 93 camry was changing the rotors out. For the life of me could not get the rotors to come off. Got angry and grabbed the sledge hammer lol. When the rotor finally let go it broke into 2 pieces!

over a long period of time the rotor will become one with the hub due to rust/corrosion.

Do this at your own risk!!!! There is a good chance of throwing out the front end alignment......
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 AM

I just ended taking it to a shop. The rotors i'm almost positive were original. They were thoroughly rusted to the hub. Didnt have the time or patience, let alone the tools required to seperate a ~20yr old rotor from the hub.